Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGW Sight Tool

shakin_bakin

Is the MGW SP-1000 sight tool worth the money or should I buy the NVStar one for $50?

I need to change one sight front and rear on a Canik TP9 SFX (so a Glock rear, S&W front supposedly). I might change a sight here and there in the future, but not sure? Maybe on a CZ?

My local gun shop will swap the sights out for $30. I can swap a lot of sights before I'll ever get my money back on the SP-1000 but wont be able to fine tune things on my own.

So what are your thoughts? Worth it to pay the gun shop to do it? Is this a one off and if I move away another gun shop might charge me $50 or more?

Thanks for the help!

I have the MGW tool for Glocks and its nice for Glock sights but it will not work for fully adjustable rear sights, like made by Dawson Precision.  I end up drifting those in with a punch.  I like tools and have a low threshold to buy them if I need them, but would probably not buy the MGW tool you are asking about.

I don't have experience with the other tools you asked about.  I use a small gun smithing hammer and a brass punch from this set acquired almost two decades ago:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/761422/lyman-tapper-hammer-with-interchangeable-brass-nylon-steel-heads-and-punch-set-7-piece

I got the MGW Sight Pro mainly because I had just gotten a CZ Shadow 2 and I read how many S2 owners were having a difficult time moving/removing the rear sight. Many were saying to use a bigger hammer and some were having a hard time with smaller sight pushers. 

Since I have a few other brands of pistols, I justified the expense and since the conversions were only $17, I went for it. 

The S2 rear sight was in there really tight and I was glad I got the MGW tool. I hate to have to pound on things, like sights, as it always leaves a mark. Hate having my stuff all marred up if I want to reuse or sell them. Most of all, using a tool to install the new rear sight, made for a professional looking install.

I can now change the sights on my Glock 42/43; 1911’s and SW M&P’s. It also doesfront sights too.

1 hour ago, shakin_bakin said:

So what are your thoughts? Worth it to pay the gun shop to do it? Is this a one off and if I move away another gun shop might charge me $50 or more?

I assume you can use it to fine tune point of aim at the range?

When I had CZ's with fixed sights and the CZ specific sight tool I used it a lot. If you have adjustable sights or are not obsessive-compulsive about poa then it may not be worthwhile. 

18 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I assume you can use it to fine tune point of aim at the range?

When I had CZ's with fixed sights and the CZ specific sight tool I used it a lot. If you have adjustable sights or are not obsessive-compulsive about poa then it may not be worthwhile. 

I'm fairly compulsive on POA to POI. And I would want to change it if it was off... I shoot CO, so my concern is, I dont know how many more pistols besides this one I would do. But I guess I could always sell it if I never use it again. They seem to hold their value very well.

The Sight Pro was worth every penny in a professional setting, being as inserts are much cheaper than whole new tools.

If you are thinking it will be used more than a few times in the future, then it makes a lot of sense. If it's a once or twice tool, having a local shop do it, if you have anyone local, would be more cost effective

17 minutes ago, Glock021 said:

I have the MGW tool for Glock slides.  It doesn't get used all that often but it is worth every penny.  I would buy it again.

Same here.  I like changing sights and trying different styles and the MGW makes it a snap.  I’ve also lent it to friends. It’s also nice to be able to use at anytime you need to make an adjustment.  There are 2 styles for glock sights one with straight and one for the angled sides, so don’t get the wrong one.  Don’t know about the sight pro.

I just bought the wheeler tool.  It seemed to me to have the most versatility when it comes to front and rear dovetail sights.  I will try to remember to post back here after I receive it.

Update:

My tool came in yesterday and I have to say it is very heavy duty.  I have tried it on a few slides and no issues yet except for adjusting front sights on slides with abnormally long dust covers such as a long slide 1911 or tanfoglio.  Rear sight adjustment would work fine though on any slide I can imagine.

It would be easy enough to remedy that though by lengthening the cut out for the dust cover in the tool.

Edited by Drtheo
To add

I have the MGW "universal" and just about every block made for it.  That 5 lb chunk of metal has saved me more time and money than I can count. 

I also have a couple of eBay specials and similar that have cost me time and money.

That Wheeler tool looks pretty stout.  If you really want to test it, grab a Kimber Ultra CDP.  If it can break those sights loose, you've got a winner! :)

8 hours ago, biggulp said:

I have the MGW "universal" and just about every block made for it.  That 5 lb chunk of metal has saved me more time and money than I can count. 

I also have a couple of eBay specials and similar that have cost me time and money.

That Wheeler tool looks pretty stout.  If you really want to test it, grab a Kimber Ultra CDP.  If it can break those sights loose, you've got a winner! :)

To be fair, I havent even looked at the wheeler. I did look at the MGW Universal but my concern was with it not fitting all pistols (particularly 1911's was my understanding).

2 minutes ago, shakin_bakin said:

To be fair, I havent even looked at the wheeler. I did look at the MGW Universal but my concern was with it not fitting all pistols (particularly 1911's was my understanding).

I was wrong. I was referencing the "universal compact" version.

1 hour ago, shakin_bakin said:

I was wrong. I was referencing the "universal compact" version.

I know the full size does 1911 slides, but I did have to modify mine to handle the Sig 226 X-6 slides. 

From the looks of it, there's probably enough meat that you could trim a bit if needed and still have a solid tool.