Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO’s Stationary or Move With Squad

ZackJones

If all RO’s were created equal then they could move with the squad. Unfortunately that’s not the case and some RO’s are better than others . So if they stay EVERYONE gets to experience the ,let’s say less experienced ones . If your RO’s move with you and are awesome that’s a Benifit or even an advantage to those shooting in that squad . Same goes for those that aren’t so awesome and move with you , it would be a disadvantage to that squad . JMHO .
Separate from that I do think your doing a terrific job Zack with steel challenge everyone would agree I’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it would be RO moving with squad. Gives both sides a chance to learn how each reacts. The RO's timing with the buzzer. Shooters reaction times. Etc.

That’s another reason not to move with the stage . We shouldn’t be able to anticipate the buzzer. This is part of the challenge . Some RO’s are very quick and some slow.

20 minutes ago, Scootertheshooter said:

If all RO’s were created equal then they could move with the squad. Unfortunately that’s not the case and some RO’s are better than others . So if they stay EVERYONE gets to experience the ,let’s say less experienced ones . If your RO’s move with you and are awesome that’s a Benifit or even an advantage to those shooting in that squad . Same goes for those that aren’t so awesome and move with you , it would be a disadvantage to that squad . JMHO .

+1

Separate from that I do think your doing a terrific job Zack with steel challenge everyone would agree I’m sure

Amen. Thanks Zack

RO or CRO?  :)

I think that for larger matches (level IIs, at least), having the CRO remain on the stage (the guy running the timer), and the RO (that runs the squad and the scoresheets) travel with the squad, works best.

With people shooting multiple guns, and (often) small squads because of that, having an RO who knows the order, recognizes the shooters, and is able to keep the divisions straight, is just a good idea.  Plus, it often goes faster, as the RO is used to the squad and can set up the paperwork automatically and quickly each time.  (I'll also note that recently at a couple of level II matches, our squad decided to keep the same order without dropping the order by one on each new stage, simply because running it that way we all knew exactly where we were, and what we had to do to keep the stage re-painted in a timely manner.  I wouldn't want that in USPSA, but in SC it worked really well.)

Having the CRO stay on the stage helps in terms of match equality (every competitor on that stage gets run the same) , plus the CRO will also know specific things to do for their stage to a accurately get times and such.  (For example, on Outer Limits remembering to get near the .22 rifle or PCC on for the last shot is easier after the movement is easier, if that is what you have been doing all day, and so on.)

For local matches---if everyone moves, it'll work out.  For larger matches, I personally like the moving RO, and stationary CRO method.

For Level 1 matches the ROs should move and shoot with the squad.  For Level 2 and 3 I really, really like the dedicated ROs and CROs.  If I'm shooting the match, I'm not ROing, and I do better.   I think the CRO, at least, should stay with the stage.  I think there are advantages of the RO staying.  I've never had a dedicated RO travel with the squad, so I don't know if there are any advantages.  At each stage we tell the CRO if there are handicapped shooters, or people shooting two guns, etc.   So in 15 seconds the CRO and RO would know what the travelling RO would know.  

Local and Level 1 matches the RO's move with the squad.

Level 2 and up matches, the RO's are usually stationary.

I don't really have a preference from a shooter perspective.

From the match side, stationary RO's don't get to shoot while the other shooters are shooting...  That usually involves a Staff day for them to shoot...  Motel rooms...  and lots more planning...  That's not usually a feasible plan for smaller local matches.

4 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Level 2 and up matches, the RO's are usually stationary.

That's my preference.

This way, every shooter is being RO'd by the same RO as every

other shooter - no chance for a misinterpretation.

The same RO enforces the rules equally for every shooter, on that

one stage.     :cheers:

53 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's my preference.

This way, every shooter is being RO'd by the same RO as every

other shooter - no chance for a misinterpretation.

The same RO enforces the rules equally for every shooter, on that

one stage.     :cheers:

This ⬆️  Every stage is run consistently for every shooter in the match. 

Our very small local Level I matches feel pretty random, with a few stages in two large adjacent bays and one guy (MD, RM, CRO) in charge, and whoever is available running the timer.

The Level II matches that I've been going to have a Pre Match for the crew, the day before, with RO's going and shooting with the squad. Then the ROs and other crew stay with the stages for the Main Match.

Going with the squad, as RO, feels rushed to me.

Staying with the stage can be more relaxed, without the need to hurry to the next stage. I have time to see that targets get replaced when needed, I get to know any particular issues that the RO needs to watch out for at that stage, and the stage is run efficiently, equally and consistently for everybody. Using Practiscore, shooting order is handled automatically, unless there's a particular reason to adjust it.

Edited by perttime

If I pay a registration fee of $75 to $100 per gun at a level 2 match,  I expect to only shoot and paint and prefer that the RO stays at the stage.

At level one matches, I expect to be on the tablet and RO and prefer that the RO, (usually multiple RO's) move with the squad.

Thanks for the input you guys have pointed out some things I hadn't considered. My personal preference is to have RO's move with the squad. I like this especially for SC State match because it's a smaller tier 2 and I try to keep fees as low as possible I recruit RO's by letting them shoot during each session. So far I've found the squads more than willing to help out with assisting the RO so he/she has a chance to shoot as they proceed through the stages. One good thing about remaining stationary is you can always send competitors over to an empty stage should you start to run behind schedule. 

2 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Thanks for the input you guys have pointed out some things I hadn't considered. My personal preference is to have RO's move with the squad. I like this especially for SC State match because it's a smaller tier 2 and I try to keep fees as low as possible I recruit RO's by letting them shoot during each session. So far I've found the squads more than willing to help out with assisting the RO so he/she has a chance to shoot as they proceed through the stages. One good thing about remaining stationary is you can always send competitors over to an empty stage should you start to run behind schedule. 

I think that one of the issues also was people not making a separation between the RO and the CRO for the stage.

At our level II matches, we differentiate between the CRO and the squad RO.  The CRO stays on the stage, runs the timer, and that way the stage itself is done exactly the same for all shooters, and the CRO running the timer is experienced at making sure the timer picks up the last shot for all divisions on that particular stage.  The squad RO, on the other hand, moves with the squad, is used to the squad and can keep them in order, running smoothly, and knows if certain people need a little reminding to help on the stage and so on.

Having both stay on a particular stage is fine, also, but we've had a lot of good luck with squad-dedicated ROs (running the tablet and the scoresheets) for our Level II matches.  We prefer to also keep the guy running the timer (the CRO of the stage) on that specific stage.

Another issue I have is when you have a miss and the RO doesn’t say anything. I’m not saying when your shooting but after you shot the string . The RO IMHO should say you have a mic on 2 or you missed the 4 Th plate. This would change how aggressive I will be on the next string . Even more when your done and nothing was said and you see a score later that doesn’t seem correct to find out they have you two mics without saying something but mow is WAY too late .

Much worse .
All are not created equal shall I dare say

Amen to that... Same thing happened to me. No consistency between stages, missing commands and 1 CRO that argued with me over the proper use of commands

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I must lead a charmed life.   I'm an RO.  There are bunches of ROs at the clubs I shoot at.  They are all nice- no pricks.  The very worst thing you can say about some of them is they didn't read the rule changes and it took a first match to bring them up to speed.  It doesn't help when some rules go into effect immediately, and some at the first of the year.  With the 2019 rules changes, I expect the same thing.  I encountered one prick RO three years ago.  He hasn't been seen since.  I don't doubt that some of you encounter bad ROs.  I'm just thankful I don't.

16 hours ago, Thomas H said:

I think that one of the issues also was people not making a separation between the RO and the CRO for the stage.

At our level II matches, we differentiate between the CRO and the squad RO.  The CRO stays on the stage, runs the timer, and that way the stage itself is done exactly the same for all shooters, and the CRO running the timer is experienced at making sure the timer picks up the last shot for all divisions on that particular stage.  The squad RO, on the other hand, moves with the squad, is used to the squad and can keep them in order, running smoothly, and knows if certain people need a little reminding to help on the stage and so on.

Having both stay on a particular stage is fine, also, but we've had a lot of good luck with squad-dedicated ROs (running the tablet and the scoresheets) for our Level II matches.  We prefer to also keep the guy running the timer (the CRO of the stage) on that specific stage.

This. 

Our local level II is run the same way.  There are many benefits Thomas mentioned.  Personally, the most appealing part is having each stage run the exact same way for each competitor.  Having the other RO/scorekeeper stay with the squad gets him familiar with who is who and when they shoot.  The communication is far superior this way for managing the squad.  Communication also seems to go so much better between the squad and the stationary RO because the moving RO is usually who is communicating to the stage RO.  Works very very well.