Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR Ideas

FireShooter

I am going to building a SBR or AR-15 pistol. I want the barrel at 10.5". Looking at a 223 Wylde chamber. What's the best barrel to go with here. I'm looking at a stainless steel barrel because of the accuracy and performance. Want to be able to make some 600 yd shots with this rifle. What's the best barrel manufacture to use? Thanks! Also, what handguard would you recommend. Might be using a PEQ-15 in the future, so I need something that will not shift or move so I can hold a good zero with the IR. Thanks again!

You're asking a lot out of a 10.5" barrel.  I assume since you're building a shorty, you will also be running a red dot sight of some kind, which will also make 600 yard shots tough, unless you are shooting at a barn.  Not that it can't be done.  I'm far from a rifleman, but 600 is about my limit with my 14.5" LANTAC with 1x6 Razor.  

I have to agree with Ranger Trace. The 10.5 is for short work, but it would be fun to make the 600 yd shots.  If it is your only weapon, then you should be competent with it, or as much as possible given what you have to work with.

I don't see why not.  At 10" barrel length and xm193, the 55 gr would have a muzzle velocity of about 2600 fps.  Assuming a 250 zero, the drop at 600 yds = 136" according to Federal Ballistic data, the hold over on a full size IPSC target would be 4 targets up from center.  I've done it with 1x Prismatic on top of my 16" shooting match load going at 2800 fps, same 250 zero, calculated drop at 600 yds = 115", or about 3 targets up from center.  My point is as long as you know the target size and corresponding ballistics of your rifle/cartridge, the hold over can be done on the fly.

Regarding 'best barrel', I tempted to say JP but he doesn't make anything shorter than 14.5.  Daniel Defense makes very good barrels and I believe DD has 10.3" CHF 556 barrels, might want to check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, megathumpzilla said:

i got a dd mk18 pistol and as a package it is amazing and accurate. I don't see the need for a stamp and a regular stock, a brace is fine. Super fun and loud, fast  and i am comfortable out to 300 with it, but as mentioned much better under 200. I am really impressed by DD.

Until some "memo" comes out and suddenly you have a rifle that is in violation of federal law and punishable via a felony. Good luck!!

I went 11.5” and used Columbia River Arms BHW barrel. It shoots 500 pretty handily using a  BC size USPSA Target have a 1-6 strike eagle scope on it. Most of the time it has an Omega 300 suppressor on it. I also had a Faxon big gunner 11.5”. I didn’t really care for that one. It wasn’t as accurate as the BHW

Edited by Paul-the new guy

On 11/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, megathumpzilla said:

i got a dd mk18 pistol and as a package it is amazing and accurate. I don't see the need for a stamp and a regular stock, a brace is fine. Super fun and loud, fast  and i am comfortable out to 300 with it, but as mentioned much better under 200. I am really impressed by DD.

Until you bring it to a rifle/multigun match and they say "no pistols allowed at rifle match".

Something to consider when shooting a shorty at great distance is not just the drop (since that is relatively easily calculable) but also the windage. 

Everything else being the same, the difference in drift from wind is attributed to the increased flight time due to lower velocity.   Even using 77gr match ammo, 5.56 coming out of my 18" barrel will be at 1739 fps by the 800 yard mark.  That is a flight time of 1.11 sec.  And, with a 10 mph wind adjacent to the flight path the bullet will drift 38.8 inches. 

Now compare that to the same ammo from my 11.5" which would give 1495 fps at 800 yard mark, 1.27 sec flight time, and 46.9 inches of drift.

Strelok makes these horizontal correction numbers posted above look like a hard science but in reality the wind conditions can vary from shot to shot and it is the windage variability that can make long distance shots harder to place multiple hits on the same target.  A faster bullet makes the wind slightly less of a factor.

If you want a shorty that can go the distance I have read some amazing feats from 6.5 Grendel out of a 12.5" barrel.  It goes even slower yet then a 5.56 shorty but I guess the bullet weight/shape gives it excellent long range shooting properties.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you picked a barrel yet.

I recommend triarc barrels, they are some of the best barrels I have seen. Smaller (still very reliable) gas ports than most, you get a few extra FPS with their propriety rifling that creates a better seal, stupid accurate. My 11.5 is fantastic, my buddies 10.5 is also fantastic, I have heard zero bad things about them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my 10.3" SBR, I went with Ballistic Advantage Hanson Premium barrel. Comes with a pinned gas block. Replaced with Geissele super gas block. Sub MOA guarantee. I think I picked up for around $160+ when you can catch them on sale.