Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many keep their old guns after switching divisions?

So I have gone from production to limited to open over the years. My wife has gone from limited minor to major and will be switching to carry optics soon. I still have my production guns, Lim guns etc. I’ve always been one to hold onto guns and gear unless I have zero use for them but my wife thinks i should consider letting some go...not to mention I’m a 2 is 1 and 1 is none kind of guy so I have 2 of everything. I say I should hold onto them cuz you never know if years down the road we want to switch back to something. Anyways I’m just curious to what some of you that have been in the game much longer and have probably wrestled with this same conundrum have done. 

Quality guns hold their value pretty well, some even appreciate wildly (eg Colt revolvers), but I think competition guns are a different story; just look at the CZ SP01 Shadow, it was hot stuff until the Shadow 2 came out, now they can be had for cheap.  When it comes to the latest competition gear, I say buy used, sell used, and it shouldn't cost you much.

I started out practicing with a G34 and picked up a bunch of other Glocks. Here in MA it's considered cool to have a Glock over Gen 1.5 as the AG thinks we cannot shoot newer Glocks! Go figure! Then I discovered real triggers!!! Anyhow, I now sell if I don't shoot them and only keep the ones I really like or may increase in value. As mentioned already I try to buy used gear as its always a lot cheaper.

Hold on to them unless you just flat out dislike the guns. I have sold guns and gear after switching divisions and have regretted it almost every time. The only other reason would be if you have to sell to fund a purchase and I would try to hold out and just save up instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s settled. I shall hold onto my other division guns/gear for the time being. Always kinda been that way anyways and typically didn’t sell off stuff unless I was looking to upgrade somewhere else. Just wasn’t so sure with the competition oriented stuff and my wife has been the pitching the idea...now I can tell here I have had an informed conversation with the forum gurus and suggest otherwise ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've never owned lots of guns. Only ever sold one: a slightly unusual rifle. Wish I'd kept that one....

Going to the range, I might pick a revolver, 1911 or a 9mm Glock, depending on mood or which range I'm going to. Undecided on which I'll compete with next year.

Most of the guns I got rid of were because I built something better, not because of switching divisions. Most of the ones I got rid of were either worn out (as competition guns) or just not good enough for me. I quit shooting IHMSA when my father's eyes started going bad, but I still have my Dan Wesson revolvers.