Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I won a calibration call on stage 9 on the right activator. I then watched someone on the squad behind me shooting open unload almost two magazines on the left side activator before it went down.

Posted (edited)

The steel on stage 9 was ridiculous.  We rolled up on that stage and the squad ahead of us was still waiting on the squad ahead of them.  There was some sort of popper drama at least every 3 shooters.

What made the situation the most frustrating was that it was painfully obvious that the steel was not calibrated properly and the RO's insisted that the steel was fine.  One shooter on the squad ahead of us even asked the RM for a calibration prior to his run and the RM stated that it was not allowed.  He said something along the lines that a calibration could only be performed if a shooter shot at it and left it standing and then requested a calibration.

Nobody was willing to risk FTE's and M's on the swingers so it was just a continued crap sandwich that everyone was eating.  

Eventually, the RM calibrated the left popper before our squad was up.  This was interesting because I don't believe the calibration occurred at the request of a shooter that left it standing and requested a calibration as the RM had outlined.  I could be wrong on this as I was in a heat/humidity induced stupor, but I don't think a shooter left it standing and requested calibration.  Maybe Rowdy can remember better than me.

It was extremely embarrassing to see this type of issue at a National level match.

Edited by d_striker

Those spring loaded forward falling poppers were weird at the 9 days of nationals, I watched a PCC guy get screwed by one, he shot it it started falling then he shot it again and that round pushed it back up to the set position, afte watching that I made a note to myself to shoot it then give it lots of time to fall, the problem is a popper should not be capable of resetting itself, forward falling poppers should once hit fall once the shooter stops driving it back up with additional rounds, a very bad design

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

Those spring loaded forward falling poppers were weird at the 9 days of nationals, I watched a PCC guy get screwed by one, he shot it it started falling then he shot it again and that round pushed it back up to the set position, afte watching that I made a note to myself to shoot it then give it lots of time to fall, the problem is a popper should not be capable of resetting itself, forward falling poppers should once hit fall once the shooter stops driving it back up with additional rounds, a very bad design

Were we on the same squad? That's exactly what happened to me, then I stood there waiting for it to fall and wound up eating the FTE's and mikes and zeroed the stage. Florida has not been kind to me. haha

6 hours ago, d_striker said:

It was extremely embarrassing to see this type of issue at a National level match.

That's the worst part.  Without those poppers, the after-match discussion would be about how it was a hard match with lots of long and tight shots, but a good match overall.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:44 AM, d_striker said:

What made the situation the most frustrating was that it was painfully obvious that the steel was not calibrated properly and the RO's insisted that the steel was fine.  One shooter on the squad ahead of us even asked the RM for a calibration prior to his run and the RM stated that it was not allowed.  He said something along the lines that a calibration could only be performed if a shooter shot at it and left it standing and then requested a calibration.

Yup, it's part of the rules. But was there any feedback from the folks who shot the pre-match ?  

Nobody in a leadership role saw an issue with a swinger only available at the top of the arc, through a small window, behind an opaque vision barrier? 

That's neat. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, rowdyb said:

We shot the same prop at Nationals. Only more mini poppers and less paper. Timing was key but I still feel a stage like this kinda leans toward luck over skill.  

If the swinger ever stopped and didn’t offering enough of available A zone from that small shooting area,  it should be a disappearing and could have been tossed.  I wonder if anyone ever see the swinger come to rest on its own. ....For us the RO would stop it, score it and we would paste and reset it.   

I felt the hole stage had more luck factor than was necessary.  I shot on the SS super squad and nobody could call shots on it.  You could say if you hit brown or not probably, but not where.  Everybody took 3 shots at it.