Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 IPSC nationals?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

it was weird to be at a match with 1. so few in Production and 2 no pcc. some of that steel shouldn't have been used, but i'm not in charge.

Looks like you did ok

1 hour ago, a matt said:

That’s ridiculous too.  It’s a National championship match and even having it happen one time is to many.   

Ask people how they felt about stage 9.....

1 hour ago, EEH said:

Looks like you did ok

Thanks. But below 70% is something I'd usually call a sub-par performance. But I did have big travel issues, little sleep and a head cold. Oh, and switched guns and ammo the day before I left. So I wasn't really set up to physically or mentally perform at a very high level. I think I had 50 or 60 penalty points and that's kinda sad too. hahaha

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Thanks. But below 70% is something I'd usually call a sub-par performance. But I did have big travel issues, little sleep and a head cold. Oh, and switched guns and ammo the day before I left. So I wasn't really set up to physically or mentally perform at a very high level. I think I had 50 or 60 penalty points and that's kinda sad too. hahaha

IPSC Nats is always stacked no matter your division.  Only 2 shooters broke the top 20 not shooting with a dot, Niles & Ben.

Shannon doesn’t mess around when it comes to National matches, IPSC and USPSA. Nothing that any of can’t do but doing it well at speed that’s another issue for another topic.  Don’t be to hard on yourself, learn, improve and go get em next year. That’s what it’s all about.   Good luck. 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Ask people how they felt about stage 9.....

I started on 9. First shooter (Open) hit the right popper 5 times before it went down. 

Another open shooter won a calibration call and got a reshoot. 

The steel on 9 was ok, but not set well and fell out of adjustment rapidly due to its design.

The problem was each triggered a swinger, so most shooters shot them down to avoid 3 mikes and a FTE if they lost the calibration.  I personally saw at least 4 or 5 shooters (including me) hit them more than once square in the calibration zone to make them fall (and not because they were forward-fallers and slow, they just weren't going down on the first shot-- the odds of everyone I saw having light ammo seems about zero).

I heard many others had the same thing happen and if they had been stand-alone poppers, I think the RM would have been stationed there permanently for calibration calls until they were fixed.

14 minutes ago, shred said:

The steel on 9 was ok, but not set well and fell out of adjustment rapidly due to its design.

The problem was each triggered a swinger, so most shooters shot them down to avoid 3 mikes and a FTE if they lost the calibration.  I personally saw at least 4 or 5 shooters (including me) hit them more than once square in the calibration zone to make them fall (and not because they were forward-fallers and slow, they just weren't going down on the first shot-- the odds of everyone I saw having light ammo seems about zero).  I heard many others had the same thing happen.

Here’s Stoeger’s run. Caption explains how he designed a stage plan specifically around the stubborn steel. Never something you want to have your mind on at a major.

I would say 50% of the people who shot it had a minor issue with the steel on 9. I would say 25% of the people who shot it had major issues.

And unlike other stages the routing of the cables for the activators wasn't ideal. Not was there a very clearly marked spot for the base of the collapsible sticks. They could very easily be placed in such a way that they put far far to much cable pressure on that type of forward falling popper.

I made sure to shoot them as very close to the top as possible and hope. A center hit was not even close to a guarantee they would fall, major or minor.

Though I must admit to having a good laugh at the expense of a few shooters who got pissed and did multiple bill drills on them trying to drive them down....

I also saw a few shooters stop themselves and ask for calibration right then. Frightening tactic points wise, but that's how jacked that steel was. I think only pride kept the arb from succeeding in getting the stage tossed, rather than objective facts.

I must have been one of the lucky ones, I was also shooting classic major and it went down easy with one shot. However I agree, those spring style forward falling poppers are by far the worst design I've ever seen, I got completely popper f*#ked at optics nationals last year on the same thing. Additionally, Stage 9 was my first stage of the match and I got bumped to first in the shooting order because most of my squad was 15 minutes late and I was the only one ready this really set the tone for my match and I did horribly, this was the worst match I've shot in 4-5 years. And as any good shooter I had plenty of good excuses as to why, 4 hour time change, crappy sleep the night before, HEAT and HUMIDITY, and general bitchiness. 

Other than my performance lacking greatly this go around, I did like some of the stage designs and they were generally fun, I also was glad to see that there wasn't a huge advantage given to the classic minor folks by stacking several 8 round arrays with a bonus target that could save a position. All that said I will most likely not be making the trip back to frostproof (especially in the summer) again unless there is something like the 9 days of nationals or another world shoot that I could weasel my way into. Too far, and way too hot for me to justify.