Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Slide Fitment Sheet

scottlep

I thought this might be helpful to some new 1911/2011 builders. I used to just do horrible drawing of the profile of the slide and frame and then note the measurements. Once I found this it has made things a bit easier. Great for taking your measurements before fitting slide and frame. 

1911_builders_slide_fitment_sheet.pdf

1911_builders_slide_fitment_sheet copy.jpg

Edited by scottlep

I used a similar chart for my builds.  I'd caution against giving much credence to the frame blueprint spec numbers, or the recommendation above.  Handle enough new slides and frames and you quickly learn that not everyone machines to GI specs.  Also, .002" of play in the slide to frame fir is way too much.  You don't need near that much to have a 100% reliable gun.

Yes, I definitely wasn't using any of the "Frame Blue Print Specs" or their recommended tolerances. I was just using the drawing part to note the specs of the parts I am fitting. Considering the sheet was "borrowed" from an 80% 1911 builder site, I wouldn't trust much of what's on it. If you notice it says "Slide Back End View", but the ejector cut is on the wrong side. Which brings me to the next topic.....who in their right mind would want to build an 80% 1911? I have a hard enough time finding consistent quality in the frames and slides from the manufacturers that know what the are doing (supposedly). One pin hole off by .001" and your trigger is crap because the geometry it off. Frame rails cut out of square.....nevermind.....I will leave that discussion for another thread.

Edited by scottlep

It's definitely a better approach than mine. I've been scribbling numbers onto painters tape stuck to cardboard boxes on my bench.

So either I'm a legit gunsmith or I'm the living proof a man with a dremel should never attempt to build anything.

2 hours ago, scottlep said:

Yes. I agree. I actually have a 1911 slide and frame on the way from them. After the last few builds I have done using STI parts, I am hesitant to use their parts due to the very poor QC. 

The exact same reason I will never again use any STI parts.  Sooooo much extra work.

Edited by zzt