Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super comp brass

jstagn

I buy my brass at Starline and get them by the 1,000. (https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/38-Super-Comp-Brass/). Right now they are at $0.149 a piece and free quick shipping.

I have been very happy with my Starline brass. I do not know where to get once fired except on here when they pop up in the classifieds. 

5 minutes ago, jstagn said:

How many times can you reload the new starline brass?

You know, I purchased about 6,000 pieces and have shot about 4,500 of them once. But I have heard that you can get up to 20 reloadings to them, depending on the type of powder, bullet, and handgun. But the biggest problem is finding them. I get all of my brass back during practice, but at matches, I figure I lose about 10-20% of the brass. 

No harm at all (except for a few cases that might be oversized and develop a hard ring on the bottom), and that is what I do for 38 super processing.  I like to use a regular die, then a U-die without the decapper installed to size it down progressively.  After that I do a condition and case length check, and then reload them.  Using pre-checked and processed brass makes the reloading process go super fast with very few issues. 

57 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

I'm considering a 38 super for open. Can someone tell me the typical price difference for reloading 9mm vs. 38 super?

Good 9mm once fired brass is 2-3 cents and 38 new is 15 cents. Everything else is the same.

So in A 32 round COF BRASS cost alone is huge. 9mm about a buck, 38 about $4.50. Only then you have to join the other brass chickens and hope you get half of it back.

Yeah Tony, forget the 6k for the gun, match fees gas and mileage on you vehicle. I forgot targets, pasters ,holster, mags and all the assorted accessories crap we all buy. 

PS and your spouse nagging you about missing kids birthdays and your anniversary. All in fun.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Good 9mm once fired brass is 2-3 cents and 38 new is 15 cents. Everything else is the same.

So in A 32 round COF BRASS cost alone is huge. 9mm about a buck, 38 about $4.50. Only then you have to join the other brass chickens and hope you get half of it back.

Damn, that's eye opening.

I guess I better get really good at another division and then see if some company will subsidize that cost.

Edited by telligentgunner

It's hard to find used super comp at a decent savings.  Your best bet is to get a couple people to go in on a bulk buy directly from SL.  If you buy 18,500 pieces the price decreases to 13.5 cent each, if you buy 60,000 the price goes down to 12.6 cents per.  

When practicing I shoot 600ish rounds, and spend 15 min at the end picking up brass and recover 95 percent of them.

While shooting locals, I pick up my marked cases as i'm walking down to paste and retrieve about 80 percent.

Major matches are lost brass, and typically are  250ish rounds.  Assuming you shoot brand new brass, it adds $31 to your match fee, which is insignificant in the grand theme of things.

If you don't overwork the brass with flare .... you can bet on a minimum of 10 and a maximum of lots more. I have some PMC 38 Super brass that has at least 30 minor level  reloads on it and about 10 major level.....yet I have suffered cracked cases after 3 major level reloads with another brand. YMMV

9mm has a short life span at major, I was buying new brass more often for 9mm than for 38 sc, even with losing up to 40 percent at matches. 38 sounds more expensive but when you can reload it 20 times it saves quite a few bucks.  It’s a ford Chevy debate honestly. 

2 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

9mm has a short life span at major, I was buying new brass more often for 9mm than for 38 sc, even with losing up to 40 percent at matches. 38 sounds more expensive but when you can reload it 20 times it saves quite a few bucks.  It’s a ford Chevy debate honestly. 

I easily get 10+ reloadings out of my 9MAJOR brass

On 10/30/2018 at 9:33 AM, telligentgunner said:

I'm considering a 38 super for open. Can someone tell me the typical price difference for reloading 9mm vs. 38 super?

The cost is negligible between the two really. The only difference is the time picking up the brass, which for me personally, is meditative. 

40 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I easily get 10+ reloadings out of my 9MAJOR brass

You are the only person I have ever heard getting more than 2 reloads out of 9mm Major brass. The majority of the shooters I come across leave their 9mm brass on the ground, thus the minimal cost difference between the two calibers. 

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

The cost is negligible between the two really. The only difference is the time picking up the brass, which for me personally, is meditative. 

You are the only person I have ever heard getting more than 2 reloads out of 9mm Major brass. The majority of the shooters I come across leave their 9mm brass on the ground, thus the minimal cost difference between the two calibers. 

There are several threads on here with many members getting the same results. 

2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I've been shooting 9 major for six years, I've never bought a piece of brass and the only brass failure I've ever had was caused by stepped cases (twice in the same gun).

If you have a good reloading process you can shoot mixed range brass with great reliability and 9 major brass costs you nothing.  I don't even bother to pick it up when shooting outdoors, when my stash starts running low, I stay after an indoor match and pick up plenty to keep me going.

With the same bullet and powder, you drop 8-10% more powder in 38 super than 9mm, so if you're shooting high dollar powder like 3N38 or shooting a ton of rounds, that can add up too.

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you have a good reloading process you can shoot mixed range brass with great reliability and 9 major brass costs you nothing.  I don't even bother to pick it up when shooting outdoors, when my stash starts running low, I stay after an indoor match and pick up plenty to keep me going.

I have a buddy who reloads that refuses to pick up brass at matches but goes to indoor ranges and gets all the brass he needs because typically the people who shoot there buy new ammo. 

My opinion from what I've read/heard is .38SC is the better option in every way except cost. Yes, if you pick up as much as you can, then it could be a wash. Though, 9 major seems to be good enough. But given the option, and cost being equal, and the gun will run either round, nobody would choose 9 major. 

I'm shooting 9major because of the cost and I will not hunt and peck for brass. My gun runs 100%!  If it didn't I'd shoot SC or probably not shoot open.

On a side note, acme sent an email out and they have .38SC for $14 per 100 now thru November. 

Edited by B_RAD

14 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

gets all the brass he needs because typically the people who shoot there buy new ammo. 

Now that I'm shooting indoors again I'm raiding the brass bucket.  newbies with new ammo, so sweet.

The outdoor range I go to is the opposite, I've gotten lucky there too -occasionally.  But at that range it's mostly competitive shooters, some high level too.

Edited by MikeyScuba
grammer