Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato

FF112173

STI released a few videos from before and during Nationals this past week of the ne single stack Staccato in action. The concept of a 2011 single stack is very interesting to me. I understand the frame is different from a hicap 2011 model but the future of this for single stack competitors is very intriguing. What are your thoughts?

ABEB6C95-49C5-46D1-83D2-77B59A9B8158.jpeg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the videos and pictures, but hadn't realized it was a single stack. I think it would be  pretty cool for a single stack gun. I'm also fairly sure there are no rules against it in SS division, as the applicable rule just says "frames must be metal" but says nothing about being two-piece or modular. 

APPENDIX D5

Single Stack Division Cont.

Special conditions:

Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

46 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I saw the videos and pictures, but hadn't realized it was a single stack. I think it would be  pretty cool for a single stack gun. I'm also fairly sure there are no rules against it in SS division, as the applicable rule just says "frames must be metal" but says nothing about being two-piece or modular. 

Don’t they have to be bushing barrels in single stack division though? I could be wrong. 

Just now, tdp88 said:

Would the plastic grip make the gun illegal in SS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would depend on if they try to say the grip is part of the frame. I quoted the entire rule above. Only the frame is specifically called out as having to be metal.

The 2011 frame may move mass and weight forward when compared to a Trojan SS. It appears the photo gun has a bull barrel which, I believe, does not qualify as a single stack. The barrel and bushing is a requirement unless the USPSA rules have changed. Weight limits with an empty magazine and fitting within the size requirements, gun and magazine length would need verification. STI has made a major product line change over the past year, some good, some not so good. Holes in their product line left may past customers out in the cold going forward as customers, no single stacks in any frame size. I am an STI customer who has been left out in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Is that considered the "original 1911 design"

At what point are you to far from a 1911?

I suspect that interpretation will be what makes or breaks it for SS. Action: yes, frame: that's a stretch IMO, which matters more?

Looks like a gun I'd like to have though.

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

I think a 2011 isn't a 1911 so it wouldn't be legal.

Skimming through the rules does it say your gun must be a single stack? Sure the name implies it, but outside of a rule you posted saying you must shoot a "1911 design" which we all know are SS guns. If this is legal by the rules shouldn't any 2011 fit under this rule?

#limited10

Edited by Racinready300ex

Would STI have bothered to develop and manufacture this if they suspected it may not be SS legal?

I'm assuming the primary market for STI products is competition shooters but maybe it's not?

STI was at Nationals last week.  I actually shot the gun.  It has a 'feel' like a 2011 with a heavy front end.  This is the 3 or 4 inch bull barrel and was 9mm.  They are working on a 5 inch bushing barrel for USPSA.

The balance of the gun was very different without the mag in it.  Once you put a loaded magazine in, it felt like a narrowed down 2011 grip.  The balance was nice and it was a soft shooter.  Trigger was decent, little heavy, but that is normal for a mass -produced gun.

the weight was like 30 something ounces for the gun i shot.  It sort of felt like an aluminum framed 1911.

They will eventually release the 5 inch model in 9 and 40.  Finally, a manufacturer will be supporting a 40 again.

Hello: So is the grip aluminum, steel or plastic? Would be great if you can use the grip on a standard 2011 frame with 1911 magazines like the old plastic grips with the inserts and special magazine release. I can see Steel Challenge guys loving this setup. Thanks, Eric

13 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

The grip is plastic and will not fit a 2011 frame from what the guy told me.  The frame is much narrower than a 2011.

That kind of sucks. I guess I can see it both ways, if they made it work with 2011 frames they could just manufacture one frame for all there guns save time and money. But then anyone's frame would work with their grip allowing you to build your own without buying one of there guns. So that might cost them sales.

I still don't see it being legal in SS.

4 minutes ago, mach1soldier said:

It really isn’t meant as a SS gun. The short sight radius is great for carry but not competition. 

It does shoot amazing. I wanted to burn up all their ammo at nationals but alas people were waiting. 

I'm sure it isn't, it's not really smart money to design a gun around such a small number of customers. When they release a 5" bushing version, I still wont be a SS gun.

I think he idea of this gun is to replace the SS line with guns that are a lower cost to manufacture. And they'll probably sell them for more than a all steel 1911. Win-win.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:18 PM, ddc said:

Would STI have bothered to develop and manufacture this if they suspected it may not be SS legal?

I'm assuming the primary market for STI products is competition shooters but maybe it's not?

They build and have built many models that aren’t marketed toward competition shooters and don’t really have a place in competition shooting. 

Costa Carry Comp and that Tactical with the  threaded barrel currently in the lineup. Not to mention all those tactical carry guns they made. (Hex Tac, DVC Carry)

STI has made some very interesting decisions over the past few years to say the least. 

They had ss that were ss legal but they felt it necessary to get rid of the 1911 line for some reason.