JJ Racaza, damn!!

RJH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps it goes back to someone (Pinto?) calling JJ 'the real champ' when beat him by a few points at prod nats a couple years ago.

I expect trolling and tomfoolery out of some people, but I'm a little surprised JJ went there tho. He has been a consummate professional and great guy every time I've RO'd him or spoken to him. Congrats to him on an amazing performance.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

I expect trolling and tomfoolery out of some people, but I'm a little surprised JJ went there tho. ... Congrats to him on an amazing performance.

Ditto. I'm mildly disappointed, to be honest.

As someone who shot all 3 matches and talked to him about half the days his feat was pretty amazing. He was always smiling and always looked "on".

Plus he did the best of them all when handed the mic to give a speech.

And despite what it looks like on social media, some of those guys at the top just don't like each other.

22 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

15 was a challenging stage to rock, I liked it. If it becomes a classifier it will break hearts.

It already did break hearts (I zeroed the stage by shooting a beautiful 2" group about 1" into the hardcover on the tuxedo... *tiny violin playing*). However, I can definitely see myself revisiting it in practice.  Did anybody happen to pace that stage off? I intended to and forgot. Going from memory, I'd say it was ~20 yards.

36 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I gotta take this moment to say I won that stage in the optics match, so I hope it becomes a classifier haha. Then my claim to fame could be holding the HHF for a classifier haha

A fairly impressive stage win! Well done! Too bad people are going to hate everything to do with this classifier...:roflol:

34 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

A fairly impressive stage win! Well done! Too bad people are going to hate everything to do with this classifier...:roflol:

It's not so bad.  I've been shooting it this afternoon; nice little exercise, uses a lot of skills. 

I'm finding that I'm pulling the last shot on T1 to the *left*, I think because I'm already thinking transition to T3 and losing target focus...

Nice run, Ryan!

I gotta take this moment to say I won that stage in the optics match, so I hope it becomes a classifier haha. Then my claim to fame could be holding the HHF for a classifier haha
great job Ryan! been watching as a fan all year and you've been tearing it up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

Nice, a stage win at nationals ain't no small thing!

"For That Day" in the Optics match I was 11th in CO division. First shooter first stage of that match. The squad matrix was such I was then first shooter, first stage for that stage in the Factory match, shooting Prod. I thought I was good, hey I'd shot it before so why stage plan or pay attention. I totally skipped part of one string and that stage really really hurt me in the overall due to not paying attention. When the Limited match hit and I was shooting L10 I did great, being 23 overall in the whole match on that stage. (But 2nd in L10 division).

Which only made me even sadder about how crappy I did in Prod at it by just not being focused and attentive. What I did was on string one shoot the tuxedo freestyle 6 shots as one should, then I reloaded and shot just 3 shots strong hand at the no shoot partial, instead of the scored 6. As soon as I holstered to prepare for string 2 I realized what I'd done. Shot second string, the 3/rld/3 on the middle target as one was supposed to.

CO: 20.4 seconds. 16 A, 2 C. hf 4.21 for 80%

Prod: 15.2 seconds. 13 A, 1 C, 1 D, 3 M. hf 2.55 for 39%.

L10: 19.8 seconds. 16 A, 2 C. hf 4.33 for 81%

Edited by rowdyb

I am new to USPSA but am aware of Ben's public image, old timers' negative perception of him as well as the legion of peanut gallery fans in the younger generations.  I know of Ben's history and all the drama around his old comments/reviews on Amazon, social media and other forums, plus the relatively recent Foley/Berry/Stoeger shenanigans.  Oh well. Personally, i like someone who calls things by their name.   But like him or not - he is a champion, a dominating competitor and an excellent coach, with proven results. 

At the Nationals, I was on the same squad with JJ, first time meeting him.  I have to say, what a nice guy!  Always willing to help, with a smile and a good word of encouragement. He was usually the first one at the targets, ready to paste and reset.  I literally had to shove him away a couple of times - he was stealing my targets LOL!  I wish we had that level of enthusiasm and energy from the local Level 1 competitors - nobody is too good to help reset the course!  As someone said - i cant imagine a better ambassador for the sport.

I think what separates excellent and even world class shooters from true champions is their ability to stay focused on the goal and perform under pressure, and do it for 9 days non stop. JJ is one of those few.   I was happy to see him win two divisions and it was super exciting to watch the Production race occur in real time... and was also psyched to see Ben win his 7th title.

Anyway, having said all that - i do think that JJ blacking out a fellow competitor's name in  those social media updates was a (very small) blemish on his otherwise perfectly professional demeanor and true sportsman like conduct.

Edited by nasty618