Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using HS 6 to make major PF

LLRukus

8.3 HS6, 124 gr MG CMJ, WSP primer, 1.170", 171 PF, SV 9mm 5" bbl. 

Probably a little less powder in a KKM barrel or a 5.4" bbl. 

It's a breeze.  Lots of room left in the case.   HS6 is a major player in Open major.  

Edited by teros135

It takes everyone quite a bit more HS-6 to make major then me. 

7.5g HS-6

124g Montana fmj

1375 FPS for 170pf

With the coated lead i can go down to 7.3g  and get roughly the same velocity. 

i also had a load with 115s, 8g of hs-6, just under 1500 FPS. Felt quite a bit more snappy then my other load. 

4 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

115s, 8g of hs-6, just under 1500 FPS. Felt quite a bit more snappy than my other load (124 gr). 

That's the first time I've heard that.

My experience, and most of what I've read here over the past decade, is that the lighter bullet,

at the same PF, will feel better (less snappy) than the heavier bullet in a comped gun.     :) 

I thought the same thing. I figured more powder, more gas. But no, the 124g load was much smoother and the dot tracked better.

although that was in my open Glock. I haven’t tried the load in my Trubor yet. It’s totally possibly that it will be different. I thought my Glock was a flat shooter, and after switching to my 2011, the Glock is violent. I’ll have to try it again. But I am very happy with the 124g load in my 2011. 

My HS-6 major loads for both a open Glock 17  with a Line Wolf barrel and a CK Thunder with the 5.4” KKM and three popples. These are with 115 Acme coated bullets and have worked well this far. 

Glock - 8.0 HS-6 at 1.140 for ~171PF

CK - 8.2 HS-6 at 1.150 for ~172PF

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's the first time I've heard that.

My experience, and most of what I've read here over the past decade, is that the lighter bullet,

at the same PF, will feel better (less snappy) than the heavier bullet in a comped gun.     :) 

Nope. 115’s are more snappy than even 121’s. Very noticeably different. 

I'm running 8.4gr of HS-6 under a PD 115gr HP loaded to 1.145" for a CZ open gun.  I was running 124gr PD bullets with AutoComp previously and like the 115gr load better.  I'm going to try the 124gr with HS-6 and see if I like that combination.

Do some searches. As has been said, HS-6 is probably the second most popular powder after WAC/CFE for 9 major, and probably 3rd after 3n38 for 38 shooters. 

115 gr Everglades JHP V2

9.1 HS-6

S&B SPP

1.165" OAL 

Start lower than this and work up, HS-6 has a fair amount of lot-to-lot variation, plus I have a short, slow barrel with holes (5" SV with 2x3/16" holes)