Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New format for Steel Challenge idea

Nimitz

I was the MD for our Wed Night Steel League.  I often had mandatory shooting orders for some stages.  On five target stages, almost everyone got it right, especially if they were laid out horizontally.  One stage had 10 targets in two columns.  Only the first target in each column was fully visible.  Each successive target was partially obstructed by the target in front of it.  The shooting order was left front first, then right front, then right second, left second, left third, etc.  It was amazing how confusing that was to a lot of the shooters. 

If I go to an SCSA match, I want to shoot all eight official stages, or as many as the club can manage.  When I shoot Outlaw steel, I want lots of steel, not just five with a proscribed shooting order.  I want Outlaw.  For the most fun, shoot a stage line Stage 1 at the Ontelaunee Monster Match.  Stage 1 had 64 falling steel targets arranged in three adjacent bays.  You started in Bay 1, shot all the targets, run back and around to bay 2, and the same for Bay 3.  30 yards between firing points in each bay.  What a hoot.  

On 11/4/2018 at 8:13 AM, Nimitz said:

I have to say that I'm quite surprised at everyone's response ....  some points to think about based on what I've read:

[snip number of good points]

....all of those points are excellent with regard to good practice.

That's separate from making a good match, though.  :)