Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Straight barrel vs cone barrel accuracy difference?

Drtheo

My Lim Pro shoots the same group at 25 yards as my Stock 2s.  I'd imagine cone barrel has long service life than straight wall.  Maybe 200k rounds on average?

Juts curious, what would make a cone barrel last longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy straight barrel 5" pistols that are shop tested & verified to shoot 1.5" 50 yard groups. 

I wonder if the cone tends to help with reliability since you only have a small area (lengthwise) where barrel and slide approach a tight fit? Sort of like the reasoning behind a tapered wall (9mm) cartridge. 

I have not seen any reliability data on one versus the other. 

Interesting question. 

39 minutes ago, Drtheo said:

Ok, I see now.  So to run a comp you have to start with a cone slide or cut your slide to work with a cone.

Or get a custom comp.

It's more trouble than it's worth to cut a standard slide for a cone, it's easier to just cut the cone off the comp and use it with an extended straight barrel like this:

IMG_20181005_200656.thumb.jpg.48ac7eacd4018f1b7434351f870dead3.jpg

2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Shocking that you would say something like that about any fiddling with a gun. 

Shocking I say. 

A man's got to know his limitations!  Cutting slides and threading barrels are one thing, removing metal from the inside of a slide is another.

I believe the only real difference with the Tanfo models is less reciprocating mass, the slide. I've never noticed any differences in accuracy between bull and straight barrels. A stock 3 with a straight barrel doesn't have a bushing like a CZ or 1911, but they are just as accurate.

7 hours ago, Kurusty said:

I believe the only real difference with the Tanfo models is less reciprocating mass, the slide. I've never noticed any differences in accuracy between bull and straight barrels. A stock 3 with a straight barrel doesn't have a bushing like a CZ or 1911, but they are just as accurate.

It depends.
You can buy a 1911 that has been proven to shoot 1.5" or better 50 yard groups and I think CZ Custom makes similar guarantees on their accuracy-bushing guns (not sure about CZC, from memory).  For strictly off the shelf guns priced about the same, then I think you are correct.