Mark 7 Presses worth the money?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, donttreadonme said:

Pros- Look cool, highly sought after, highly customizable, fair to middling price bracket at least they have multiple price points.

Cons- wait a year to get one, take a risk on a new kid on the block, very few replacement parts. 

Decisions decisions.

Plus no after market parts.  Hopefully in a year or two.

My decision on the Evolution is Yea.   Hopefully it arrives early next month, as a pallet load of 8 units are supposed to be shipped to DAA early next week.

6 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Plus no after market parts.  Hopefully in a year or two.

Just about all Dillon after market parts were designed to make up for deficiencies of their presses. I don’t think M7 presses need after market parts to make them work.

I mean isn't this pretty standard in the firearm community? Take Marlin Firearms for example. They've been around since forever at SHOT show in January they promised the CB XL 357 lever actions or something like that and I still haven't seen any of them. I think I'm okay waiting for the Press. I'm more concerned if it works or not. From what I can tell it doesn't look like one that somebody should start reloading on. Thinking maybe the evolution is a good choice. I wish people weren't so critical of new things dissuaded trying new things.

Agreed, however, I have re-read many pages and it seems most of the issues (with probably 2 exceptions) are related to setup. I am pretty sure everyone of the manufacturers went through a similar process when they release their products. Heck, we know of some that have not even taken care of well know issues with their products!

I understand no one wants to wait for a product (especially after they have our money for over 1 month) but we have to realize a couple of things:

1) R&D for a brand new product takes time.

2) Any changes and modifications to fix any issues that arises takes even more time and sometimes require a halt in production. (I believe this was shortly true with the Evo).

3) They don't do the machining in-house (that I am aware of) and rely on third party contractors. This can hugely impact quality and timelines. (I also believe this was the case with the Evo)

4) Pretty sure Jay and the team were not expecting the overwhelming success with these two product releases. (There are a LOT of things behind the scenes to make this go smooth)

I am in no way associated with Mark7, don't know Jay or anyone over there, and as everyone else, still waiting for my Evo Pro. For those still deciding if they should get this product, it is not rocket science:

1) Are you tired of all the headache and issues with your existing gear?

2) Do you need a higher volume output of ammo?

3) Will this make your reloading faster, more enjoyable or meet any other reloading needs for YOU?

3) Do you want a better quality product?

4) Are you willing to deal with the usual issues that may arise with a new product development and release?

5) Can you afford and/or are you willing to pay for such cost?

6) Do you want one just because?

I can add a lot more things in this list. You need to make your OWN list to get your answer.

Dang.. this is the longest post in awhile. Maybe I just needed to vent after my unfortunate car accident last night! :(

Edited by LowBoost

5 hours ago, tanks said:

Just about all Dillon after market parts were designed to make up for deficiencies of their presses. I don’t think M7 presses need after market parts to make them work.

True if Mark 7 continues to make up for the deficiencies they have had so far and any deficiencies that show up down the line.

Ps. I sure hope they have all their presses deficiencies corrected before the one year warranty expires.

Edited by Norm37

4 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Right now the growing pains you see on here are a no for me maybe when they get production nailed down but any time I’ve ever jumped on a product where the company couldn’t keep up it bit me in the ass

I am taking the Evolution gamble but still a little worried.  No parts list in the manual.  I really hope they have a parts list available and parts available for purchase by the time the one year warranty expires.   That's my big gamble.

My Hornady Lock N Load has every part listed in the manual with a part number if needing to order.

I can't get information from Tec support until my Press arrives and I have a serial number.  I only have 14 days to get all needed information after my press arrives.

If I am not satisfied I loose all my shipping costs if I return the press.  I sure wish I could buy parts if needed but sales says no.

1 hour ago, Norm37 said:

I can't get information from Tec support until my Press arrives and I have a serial number. 

I thought that having a serial number was sufficient to get you access to the Mk 7 product forum?

• 1 month later...

It's a machine. Nothing lasts forever. Entropy always wins. If there are no parts and you don't have a mill in your garage...

I'd be all kinds of fired up if I dropped a pile of money on a machine that, even if it was my fault, broke before there were spare parts available.

It's a machine. Nothing lasts forever. Entropy always wins. If there are no parts and you don't have a mill in your garage...

I'd be all kinds of fired up if I dropped a pile of money on a machine that, even if it was my fault, broke before there were spare parts available.

I belong to several Mark 7 reloading groups and I have NEVER heard of Mark 7 not helping anyone with parts. Jay keeps a pretty good eye on those places and personally reaches out to help.

I can’t wait until mine shows up, I think it’s gonna be worth the wait.

Mark 7 has always gone above and beyond when I ever ran into an issues. Almost every single time it was me doing something dumb or not fully reading directions. Yet they still put up with me when I call in with another one of my mess ups. Sean and others on the tech team bust their ass to make sure everything is in working order, Including when working with random 3rd party upgrades I made to my press and casefeeders.

Jay and crew are top notch and offer an amazing product and even better customer support.

Such a biased opinion it's almost like you are being paid to spread good pr but certainly that isn't the case right? I fail to believe they provide spare parts in a timely fashion when they can't even ship machines very fast. Evrything i read online in this forum is people waiting for a machine. Keyword waiting. Even if the things were perfect and there was no chance of failures something tells me I should spend my money on a dillon since its obviously been around a lot longer. Im just torn because I think mark 7 has a lot to offer and I like and am interested in the new technology but it is too risky for my liking. Besides the way it appears on here. Unless you are a friend of the owner or a fanboy of mark vii you won't get the same quality of service. 

Such a biased opinion it's almost like you are being paid to spread good pr but certainly that isn't the case right? I fail to believe they provide spare parts in a timely fashion when they can't even ship machines very fast. Evrything i read online in this forum is people waiting for a machine. Keyword waiting. Even if the things were perfect and there was no chance of failures something tells me I should spend my money on a dillon since its obviously been around a lot longer. Im just torn because I think mark 7 has a lot to offer and I like and am interested in the new technology but it is too risky for my liking. Besides the way it appears on here. Unless you are a friend of the owner or a fanboy of mark vii you won't get the same quality of service. 

Not sure what you’re insinuating here but I have never heard of anyone complaining that they can’t get a replacement part nor do I personally know a single individual that is “paid to spread positive pr”.

I have also not seen preferential treatment on any group I belong to in which a need arises.

With todays advancements in technology and machining capability I'm sure you will not need spare parts. I purchased a Star Machine in 1986 and have loaded over 260,000 rounds on it and have never needed a part replacement. Mark 7 is far superior to the Star and should be trouble free for the life of the machine. Are they worth the money sure if you have it.

Edited by TONY BARONE
Addition.

i was a early adopter of their 1050 Autodrive back when they only had one model, I have the 18th machine produced. I’ve had my share of growing pains (all software issues) but have received very good support from mark 7. In the early days this would be talking directly with Jay on a Saturday while he’s on his way to shoot a match, etc. Now while the customer service isn’t that anymore it is still quite good and I’ve been happy with the product. 

Would I purchase a mark 7 press? Not with the current situation, I’m seeing too many issues at the moment. Maybe in 5 years or so when they have everything smoothed our I will look at a revolution. 

Edited by JatCarver

On 12/7/2018 at 4:12 PM, donttreadonme said:

... Im just torn because I think mark 7 has a lot to offer and I like and am interested in the new technology but it is too risky for my liking. Besides the way it appears on here. Unless you are a friend of the owner or a fanboy of mark vii you won't get the same quality of service. 

I am a relatively early adapter of the Revolution. I never met Jay (though had conversations), and never had a previous experience with MK7 so not a fanboy, Being an early adapter I have had issues, all of the issues were resolved to my satisfaction, parts replaced in a timely manner and software updated. The parts that were improved are part of the current BOM now, so current customers will not have the same issues that I had.

The quality of service has been excellent. Unlike Dillon, MK7 did not tell me to go fly a kite  on machines under warranty and tell me to make the repairs myself.

1 hour ago, tanks said:

The quality of service has been excellent. Unlike Dillon, MK7 did not tell me to go fly a kite  on machines under warranty and tell me to make the repairs myself.

Hi Tanks,

Can you elaborate on that? What happened?

6 hours ago, RGA said:

Hi Tanks,

Can you elaborate on that? What happened?

On my 1050 I had the bolt on the other side of the handle sheared off, Dillon told me to drill through the bolt with an EZ-Out drill bit then reverse it and remove the bolt. They would not take the unit back,  fix it and then send it back to me themselves. The unit was under warranty as it had sheared off about 6 months into the 12 month warranty period. I had not even heard of EZ-Out extractor bits at that point. Below is a pic I had taken.  Dillon is excellent for sending replacements for broken parts etc.. However, they are worthless when it comes to doing actual warranty work (based on my experience with them). I also had issues on a 650XL that I no longer use as it is also broken and their no bullsh*t warranty is just bullsh*t. I don't mind doing maintenance, taking the units apart, replacing parts, and cleaning and putting them together again. But, I do expect a company to handle warranty repairs.

image.thumb.png.9132847f7f346c3514fe568e78d907c6.png

I am currently looking into buying an Evolution Pro. I own a Mark 7 1050X and have enjoyed it over the last 2 years. I am very interested in the primer collator. I hate loading primers.

However, I am still on the fence about making the purchase because of the wait issues I have read about online and my own experience with customer service and parts. I want to wait to see how the press and customer service holds up.

For example, when I purchased my Mark 7 for my 1050, the console and one Sensor had to be returned because they didn’t work/operate efficiently.

They had me take them off the press and return the defective parts to them so they could take a look at them. Since I had just purchased the autodrive (1 week old), I thought they would just send me new parts and have me mail the old parts back to them.

I had to wait a week for it to arrive to them and then time for them to repair/replace and ship it back. Also, I had to contact them 4 times (email, support form and phone calls) before they got back to me.

Once the new presses are in the hands of consumers for a while, I will take a look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 1050 I had the bolt on the other side of the handle sheared off, Dillon told me to drill through the bolt with an EZ-Out drill bit then reverse it and remove the bolt. They would not take the unit back,  fix it and then send it back to me themselves. The unit was under warranty as it had sheared off about 6 months into the 12 month warranty period. I had not even heard of EZ-Out extractor bits at that point. Below is a pic I had taken.  Dillon is excellent for sending replacements for broken parts etc.. However, they are worthless when it comes to doing actual warranty work (based on my experience with them). I also had issues on a 650XL that I no longer use as it is also broken and their no bullsh*t warranty is just bullsh*t. I don't mind doing maintenance, taking the units apart, replacing parts, and cleaning and putting them together again. But, I do expect a company to handle warranty repairs.

How bad is your 650? I’ll scrap it out for ya [emoji6]

10 hours ago, tanks said:

Had same thing happen last month. Dillon told me to just send it in. I would just pay shipping to em. I just dill an tap it out myself. Call dillon back I think there one guy there they need to move from answering phones. I have talk to him myself. I have red loctite it in this time an it doesn’t back out no more

10 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Had same thing happen last month. Dillon told me to just send it in. I would just pay shipping to em. I just dill an tap it out myself. Call dillon back I think there one guy there they need to move from answering phones. I have talk to him myself. I have red loctite it in this time an it doesn’t back out no more

In my case it wasn't backing out but actually shearing off.