Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050: Recommended upgrades during disassemble

• 1 month later...

https://ballistictools.com/store/perfect-powder-baffle-for-dillon-powder-measure

I use this on both my RL and super 1050.  Orient the ears 90 degrees to one another and it makes the Dillon powder measure somewhere near useable.  For any powder charge small enough to be within the range of the Lee auto disk measure, I use that because it consistently drops within 1/10 of a grain, something none of my Dillon measures can do, even with all the upgrades.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 10:04 AM, LTC-J said:

Has anyone done the LED on the case feed post for lighting?  My current setup came with one.  I still haven't reloaded so I'm not sure.  At $50 for the toolhead version, I'll probably wait on it.

Is powder spillage an issue with 45acp loading?

Also, is an upgraded primer warning rod worth the money?  Mine is missing :(

Yes.The primer warning rod is worth the money.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, flutedchamber said:

https://ballistictools.com/store/perfect-powder-baffle-for-dillon-powder-measure

I use this on both my RL and super 1050.  Orient the ears 90 degrees to one another and it makes the Dillon powder measure somewhere near useable.  For any powder charge small enough to be within the range of the Lee auto disk measure, I use that because it consistently drops within 1/10 of a grain, something none of my Dillon measures can do, even with all the upgrades.

I have this as well and it works really well!

Nobody has mentioned the primer feed slide that is a complete headache on my RL1050. I have changed the operating lever 3 times and replaced the sleeve on the slide.. The only thing I have not done is replace the slide itself.. The one I have looks fine but who knows..Its a PITA for sure

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

Nobody has mentioned the primer feed slide that is a complete headache on my RL1050. I have changed the operating lever 3 times and replaced the sleeve on the slide.. The only thing I have not done is replace the slide itself.. The one I have looks fine but who knows..Its a PITA for sure

Oh you want one of the updated primer slides with the brass knub  instead of rubber? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 6:38 AM, mcracco said:

Three 1050's here and I don't find the 4 changes you mention to be worthwhile. I would recommend:

Level10 toolhead spring: https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-products/products/level-10-innovations-stainless-bushing-and-spring-for-dillon-super-rl-1050

Toolhead light: https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit

On 10/28/2018 at 1:31 PM, pmiya said:

Clear primer cover is good in theory but not practical.  When I'm operating the 1050 things are moving too fast for me to see the primer.  

Agree on these, the L10 Spring kit and the RI lighting solutions are top notch.  Pretty much all the L10 upgrades are solid, I have a few of them - the cap retainer, the index roller upgrade, the low profile screws running with a shellplate bearing kit, although I'm not convinced the shellplate bearing is actually needed and may remove it on my next teardown and clean.

I have a RI light for each of my toolheads, and recently bought ones for my 550 as well.

The clear primer cover I also agree with, it seems like a great idea, but in reality not very useful.

Other general things - I would upgrade the primer slide if you have the older design for sure.  Also some sort of ugpraded primer drop brackets, there are several out there they all pretty much do the same thing - but might as well grab the L10 one while you are ordering the spring setup..  I would also consider a primer holddown setup from Everglades - https://www.evergladesammo.com/reloading/reloading-equipment/ega-hold-down-die.html - works great for consistent primer seating with pistol brass - I have one on my 45acp toolhead.  L10 has an improved version but it's 4x the cost - although I may try one eventually :).

Replacement shellplates I haven't bothered with, if you are only loading 45 manually the oem plate does fine.  Also wouldn't bother with an shell feed plate change, that's typically for longer cases or automated use to get the shell loaded into the plate quicker.  A common change is to remove the dillon case slide spring and replace with a 1911 recoil spring cut in half,  but I haven't really seen any issues with the oem spring in 20k rounds or so.

Some also suggest removing the ratchet setup once you are comfortable with the loading process on the 1050 - will save you some headaches down the road.

Edited by 78Staff