Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050: Recommended upgrades during disassemble

Intended use:  I have new to me 1050 for 45acp.  I will only be doing 45acp.  I will more than likely add a bullet loader in the future.  Doubtful on auto drive.

Short: Title basically states it.  While I disassemble and lube, what parts should I upgrade or update?

Longer:  I see numerous upgrades available and even with reading here and elsewhere, I'm not sure.

Shellplate : it sounded like stabilize for taller rounds.  Worthwhile for 45acp?

Shellplate bearing : smooths out indexing. Yes?

lowmass detent ball : smooth out indexing: Yes?

clear primer cover : check for bad oriented primers : Gimmick?

Any other upgrades I should consider that are easier to do while apart?

Only current 'upgrade' is a Hornidy bullet feed die.  Not sure where this cam from(maybe Mr.Bullet mini?)

Three 1050's here and I don't find the 4 changes you mention to be worthwhile. I would recommend:

Level10 toolhead spring: https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-products/products/level-10-innovations-stainless-bushing-and-spring-for-dillon-super-rl-1050

Toolhead light: https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit

2 hours ago, mcracco said:

Level10 toolhead spring:

The original spring in my 1050 got too weak for the handle to come full up on its own so I replaced it with the spring in the 1050 spare parts kit.

The one in the kit was longer than oem and came with a longer bushing that had to be swapped when you changed to the longer spring. 

Do you know if the newer spring bushing pretty much identical to the aftermarket? 

13 hours ago, mcracco said:

Three 1050's here and I don't find the 4 changes you mention to be worthwhile. I would recommend:

Level10 toolhead spring: https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-products/products/level-10-innovations-stainless-bushing-and-spring-for-dillon-super-rl-1050

Toolhead light: https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-press-lighting-kit

Agree 100% the light is one of the best upgrades I’ve done and there customer service is great I had one go out and they sent me a new one within a couple days

Just upgraded those things from Reloading Innovations this last week. I got the lighting kit, which makes everything clear as day. It's way better than the lamp I was using before to just light up the seat and powder check stations. I got the bearing and low-mass detent ball, which seem to have somewhat smoothed indexing, but the spill stops definitely kept the powder from moving at all inside the case. After about 1200 rounds in one night, I'd definitely say it was worth the money spent. 

Edited by tacomandood

Also, as mentioned above, there's no way you'd be able to catch an overturned primer at the average speed you'd be running a 1050. You'd have to focus almost all of your attention on that station which would be annoying since 1. the primer seat station is on the back of the press and 2. you wouldn't be able to remove a case very easily anyway even if you caught a messed up primer before seating it.

Edited by tacomandood

On 10/28/2018 at 6:38 AM, mcracco said:

That’s best light u can buy. An great customer service 

Has anyone done the LED on the case feed post for lighting?  My current setup came with one.  I still haven't reloaded so I'm not sure.  At $50 for the toolhead version, I'll probably wait on it.

Is powder spillage an issue with 45acp loading?

Also, is an upgraded primer warning rod worth the money?  Mine is missing :(

8 minutes ago, LTC-J said:

Has anyone done the LED on the case feed post for lighting?  My current setup came with one.  I still haven't reloaded so I'm not sure.  At $50 for the toolhead version, I'll probably wait on it.

Is powder spillage an issue with 45acp loading?

Also, is an upgraded primer warning rod worth the money?  Mine is missing :(

I load 9 major at 10.55 of powder u be ok with 45 acp

On 10/28/2018 at 8:52 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

The original spring in my 1050 got too weak for the handle to come full up on its own so I replaced it with the spring in the 1050 spare parts kit.

The one in the kit was longer than oem and came with a longer bushing that had to be swapped when you changed to the longer spring. 

Do you know if the newer spring bushing pretty much identical to the aftermarket? 

If a longer spring came in your spare parts kit it sounds like Dillon may have addressed the deficiency and a redesigned spring would be the new norm. At that point I couldn't say if Level10 is better or worse.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, jnr88 said:

2nd the tie wrap after the powder drop. DAA just came out with a brush to prevent powder spillage.

I just saw that!  That's pretty cool although the zip tie will do the same thing..... or adjusting the index speed on the autodrive.  

Still not a bad idea.  DAA says they're out of stock already.  Hope they'll have more soon.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:19 AM, mcracco said:

If a longer spring came in your spare parts kit it sounds like Dillon may have addressed the deficiency and a redesigned spring would be the new norm. At that point I couldn't say if Level10 is better or worse.

@IHAVEGAS The Level10 spring is much longer and stronger than my (brand new) revised factory spring... but only compresses half as far to avoid over-working it, because the cup nearly contacts the press frame where it mounts to your bench. It’s a lot longer.

The effort required to drive the handle down didn’t increase noticeably, but upward “self return” effort sure did. Highly recommend.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@IHAVEGAS The Level10 spring is much longer and stronger than the revised factory one, and the cup is twice as long as well. It nearly contacts the bracket at the base of the press which stops your downstroke. Their spring is much thicker, longer, and only compresses half as far to avoid over-working it.

The effort required to drive the handle down didn’t increase noticeably, but upward “self return” effort sure did. Highly recommend.

Good info, right now (only 5,000 rounds on spring + - ) I am in the it works so do not fix it mode, will try the L10 when this spring stops bringing up the handle with enough force to suit me. 

13 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Good info, right now (only 5,000 rounds on spring + - ) I am in the it works so do not fix it mode, will try the L10 when this spring stops bringing up the handle with enough force to suit me. 

That’s what I’d do. That said, I had a brand new dillon spring & cup... and the level 10 was STILL a huge change. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...