Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 686 Conversion Grips

SingingShooter

I'd like to put a set of wood, conversion (round to square butt) grips on my S&W 686. I'm well versed on the Hogue ones retailing for $150. . .just not looking to make that big of a financial commitment.  Does anyone know if S&W or anyone else manufactures them?  I presently have (and hate) the rubber, Hogue mono-grip, and am looking for the more "old school" bigger, checkered, wood grip.  Thanks for the feedback!   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you can also just install square butt grips on a round butt gun, it leaves a open hollow on the rear bottom of the gun where the square butt part of the frame would be, but oddly shooting it I don't feel it.

I ran a set of VZ square butt grips on my 627 this season and they worked fine 

klf-td-bg-sq_1.thumb.jpg.d990e570980dbcbf5021591f9f7d8821.jpg

On 11/26/2018 at 3:56 PM, MikeBurgess said:

you can also just install square butt grips on a round butt gun, it leaves a open hollow on the rear bottom of the gun where the square butt part of the frame would be, but oddly shooting it I don't feel it.

I ran a set of VZ square butt grips on my 627 this season and they worked fine 

klf-td-bg-sq_1.thumb.jpg.d990e570980dbcbf5021591f9f7d8821.jpg

Done that also.  How do you like the VZ Grips on a Revolver?  I've gone with Rubber Hogues as Wood Grips, even though they look better to me,  always beat up my thumb joint.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Done that also.  How do you like the VZ Grips on a Revolver?  I've gone with Rubber Hogues as Wood Grips, even though they look better to me,  always beat up my thumb joint.

I love the VZ grips on my Colt Competition 45. I ended up finding a set of wood grips on EBay and love them — much more than the Hogue monogrip.  The Hogue Big Butt grips are sweet, but more $$ than I wanted to shell out.

Edited by SingingShooter

14 hours ago, SingingShooter said:

I love the VZ grips on my Colt Competition 45. I ended up finding a set of wood grips on EBay and love them — much more than the Hogue monogrip.  The Hogue Big Butt grips are sweet, but more $$ than I wanted to shell out.

I too have VZ grips on my 1911's.  Was wondering about them on a S&W Revolver though?

I don't like the Big Butts, have a pair and just don't seem to fit my hand as well as regular Hogue's.  

Like the look, feel and handling of wood grips but they bang the heck out of my thumb joint.

Am concerned the VZ's would do the same on my N frame Smith's.

I think that if I were using my 686 competitively I’d definitely have looked at the VZs because there’d seem for sure no grip slip while running and gunning.  I’ve tried the Hogue bigbutts and really liked them (I’ve got some freakishly big paws), and my friends’s gun that I tried them on is an active competition gun, and I know he has never had slippage. Given your complaint of the bigbutts and thumb rub, I would imagine the VZ could form a serious blister depending on how high the grip sits. I suppose you just need to visit some gun shops to see if anyone has them on a comparable revolver.

Edited by SingingShooter

On 12/1/2018 at 3:25 PM, pskys2 said:

I liked them more than I liked the rubber Houges. 

My only complaint really is they are pretty small front to back at the top, but I have this complaint with almost all revolver grips.

After going through an assortment of grips for my 627, I've finally decided that I like the rubber grips that came with my 627.  I started out with the big butt but it felt too big for my hand. Then I got the Nill grip that came in a smaller size but anything over 200 rounds and I got a blister at the base of my thumb.  Recently I bought the Extreme Hogue G10 conversion grip.  I really wanted to like the Extreme Hogue.  I really did.  But it just didn't fit my hand right.  Maybe it's the finger grooves?  I don't know, but I finally took it off and put the rubber grips back on.  And I'm happy.   I guess I wanted a unique look for my gun with a fancy grip.  Now, all I want is it to fit my hand and not hurt!  You'll probably see the other grips in the classifieds at some point lol.

grips.jpg

5 hours ago, kimmie said:

After going through an assortment of grips for my 627, I've finally decided that I like the rubber grips that came with my 627.  I started out with the big butt but it felt too big for my hand. Then I got the Nill grip that came in a smaller size but anything over 200 rounds and I got a blister at the base of my thumb.  Recently I bought the Extreme Hogue G10 conversion grip.  I really wanted to like the Extreme Hogue.  I really did.  But it just didn't fit my hand right.  Maybe it's the finger grooves?  I don't know, but I finally took it off and put the rubber grips back on.  And I'm happy.   I guess I wanted a unique look for my gun with a fancy grip.  Now, all I want is it to fit my hand and not hurt!  You'll probably see the other grips in the classifieds at some point lol.

Thanks for the warning, I'm about to go down this rabbit hole. Mostly I want a Big Butt (I can not lie) to mimic the feel of the magwell I have on my Limited semi-auto. It helps me find my grip on the draw. Other than that, I don't have a complaint with the rubber grip that came with the gun.

Edited by Mcfoto

13 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Thanks for the warning, I'm about to go down this rabbit hole. Mostly I want a Big Butt (I can not lie) to mimic the feel of the magwell I have on my Limited semi-auto. It helps me find my grip on the draw. Other than that, I don't have a complaint with the rubber grip that came with the gun.

One size definitely doesn't fit all,  with grips.  There are so many variables.  I went through the same thing with my 1911 trying to find a grip that fit me well.  It's trial and error and unfortunately, that can wind up being expensive unless you know someone with a grip that you want and can try it out first.

Edited by kimmie

Are they still making the custom big butt grips?

2 minutes ago, PatJones said:
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Mcfoto said:

Are they still making the custom big butt grips?

Yes they still do. Pat Hogue has made a few different ones for several people that I know.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, kimmie said:

I really wanted to like the Extreme Hogue.  I really did.  But it just didn't fit my hand right.  Maybe it's the finger grooves?

Kimmie,

Are the raised ridges of finger grooves solid or hollow on the inside of the grip? I want to try the G10 grips, but I don't like finger grooves. I was thinking I could file them down if they were solid underneath. 

12 hours ago, kdinpc said:

Kimmie,

Are the raised ridges of finger grooves solid or hollow on the inside of the grip? I want to try the G10 grips, but I don't like finger grooves. I was thinking I could file them down if they were solid underneath. 

It appears that they're solid.  There's also a slight 'palm swell' on the side of the grips and I think that is also what makes the fit feel funny to my hand.  You can see the swell in the picture I've attached.  They really are beautiful grips and the texture isn't overly aggressive.  I'm disappointed that my hands don't like them!!!!!!

20181212_101322.jpg

hogue grip.jpg