Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 38SC having sizing issues!

IDAHOAASHOOTER

1 minute ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

I have the 3 die box set from LEE, I'm having random loaded bullets just push into the casing. Having random bullets loose in the casing. Brand new to open, need an undersized die like the Lee u die for 40? 

You shouldn’t NEED a Udie. Is the sizer adjusted down to just kissing the shell plate? What bullets are you using? Measure a handful and see if any are undersized.

What brass are you using? I've got some much fired practice brass that won't hold bullets either. New Starline always works, YMMV.

Edited by dons
spell check

19 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You might be belling the case too much to seat the bullet,

and perhaps NOT "crimping" enough.

Do these loaded cartridges pass The Plunk Test in your gun ?

Yes they all drop right in, I ordered the Lee undersize die and the factory crimp. I realized I was still using the 9mm carbide crimp die. Somehow ended up in the box with the 38 super dies. My dumb ass didn't read it lol

I've found the 38 super powder funnel (Dillon) to be just a tad to large which leads to the brass having a ID that is just a little too large.  Chuck up the powder funnel in a drill press and while it's spinning take a fine file to the outside of the funnel where it expands the brass in order to take a small amount of material off.  Then some wet/dry sandpaper to polish it up while still spinning in the drill press. Taking a small amount off of the OD of the funnel will reduce the ID of the brass, thus eliminating the setback.

I got this from someone else here on the forum after doing a search as I was having the same problem you are.  Of course, I am under the assumption you are loading on a Dillon.

Good luck

2 hours ago, Glk21C said:

I've found the 38 super powder funnel (Dillon) to be just a tad to large which leads to the brass having a ID that is just a little too large.  Chuck up the powder funnel in a drill press and while it's spinning take a fine file to the outside of the funnel where it expands the brass in order to take a small amount of material off.  Then some wet/dry sandpaper to polish it up while still spinning in the drill press. Taking a small amount off of the OD of the funnel will reduce the ID of the brass, thus eliminating the setback.

I got this from someone else here on the forum after doing a search as I was having the same problem you are.  Of course, I am under the assumption you are loading on a Dillon.

Good luck

Thanks I'll give it a shot when I get back into the shop! Yes I'm loading on a 650.

Seriously you guys are awesome, still new ish to this sport the amount of knowledge that is shared openly is really cool! 

This post has piqued my curiosity. Have you pulled and measured the bullets that pushed into the case?  The Lee carbide crimp , per Lee's ad copy, resizes the case while crimping. I'm thinking that this may size the case a little while the cartridge is pulled out of the die. In doing this, the case going through the sizing portion after the bullet is seated may actually compress enough to size the bullet? Just curious. 

I run a lee loadmaster press with same dies, don’t even run a factory crimp as the seating die is also a crimp die built in one. 

Nevwr had an issue with to much flare, but I’m not using a fancy Dillion either, just a pile o lee. ( by the way I loaded the first 50 rounds for his gun....?. Maybe it’s the loose but behind the press ?????