Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dots in the rain

Rader1812

What are the tricks of the trade to keep the open windowed red dots (DPP/ Romeo etc) reliable during a stage while raining. I understand keeping the dot dry before hand, just curious if there are any ideas floating around?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I just keep my C-More dry the 180 minutes I'm NOT shooting,

Agree with Hi Power. Here is the most unprofessional advice you will get. Go to Walmart and buy a cheap shower cap and drape it over your entire gun. I have been doing this for years with great results in keeping everything dry. I've recently started using a pink colored cap just to get a rise out of the men on my squad. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have done the shower cap thing. At the time I was using a race master holster. ROing on a long field course and running along to keep up with the shooter the shower cap released the little whimpy lock and next thing I know my gun is dangling in the shower cap which got hooked on the holster. Gun didn't hit the ground but would not want to have a conversation about that situation at a major match.

The ping pong ball is a pretty interesting idea. My only experience shooting a dot in rain was a light drizzle with my c-more and the carbon fouling was more obstructing than any small water droplets on the lens. 

I run a DPP and my experience shooting a stage in heavy rain. If a rain drop hits inside or in front of where the light emits from the housing. That drop can change the location of the dot thus making you lose zero temporary until that water is no longer there.

DPP's are waterproof, so rain is not an issue with them. My RTS2 has never had issues in the rain that I have experienced. If you are concerned, you can always use the cover in between stages.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 12:01 AM, Chillywig said:

I have done the shower cap thing. At the time I was using a race master holster. ROing on a long field course and running along to keep up with the shooter the shower cap released the little whimpy lock and next thing I know my gun is dangling in the shower cap which got hooked on the holster. Gun didn't hit the ground but would not want to have a conversation about that situation at a major match.

I use a cheap shower cap and have it in my range bag all the time.  It also has the benefit of keeping the gun dry not just the lense. 

I cannot see how how the shower cap could have released the lock without some interference being applied to the lock. It would need to have been bumped at some time (maybe when putting the  shower cap on) or  the elastic of the cap somehow wrapped around the lock and then the cap stretched in the direction of the release.  Maybe it got caught on something that was off your body?

Anyway it is something to be aware of, glad it did not end up on the ground.