Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Mags (9mm)- Need advice

Posvar

I want to get a new full set of mags for 2019. Already know what lengths I need but need advice on brands or combination of parts/brands. My limited gun uses MBX and they are flawless. Some guys around here use MBX for 9mm open and like them. A bunch of people have told me NOT to use MBX for open but use MBX for limited. Others have said use SV. Either way I want to buy a set once and not look back. My gun is a Limcat Beastcat with PT Evo grip if that makes any difference. 

Who uses SV and MBX that can provide feedback? They need to be reliable as possible. I will do my part to maintain them.

Thanks!

Matt

For the 140's I'm using STI gen 2's with TTI 7G basepads; no issues a tall.

For 170's I was trying to get the STI gen 2's to work, but to no avail. I have tried different combination of followers and springs with them; TTI, Grams and even a mix of stock internals. I have since went the way of MBX and they are working flawlessly so far. 

I have been using MBX in a Limcat open with a EVO grip for a while , they need adjusted like most do, to your gun. I tossed the springs right away and run TTI, no issues . Same mags run in the Limcat grip and the PT classic .

20181023_061642.jpg

Hello: If you can find the old SVI mags they are the best. They are made from thicker metal than the MBX and hold their shape for decades. I am using first gen STI's with metal Hardy spacers as well and they work well also for 9mm. So what I would do is try the new SVI mags in your grip. They are still made from thicker metal and will work in my STI grip. Guts I am using Bolen and TTI followers with their springs. Base pads I am using Dawson, Grams and TTI. Whatever base pads you like best that fit the gauge. Thanks, Eric

I have SVI Gen 1, STI Gen 1 and MBX mags and I use all of them without issue in my Open guns.  The STIs I use for dry fire only, because they do not like to be dropped.  Any time I do not have to drop a mag in mud or dust, I use the MBXs.  For mud and dust I use the SVIs.

MBX mags are all factory.  SVI big stick has TTI guts and pad.  SVI 140 have Grams guts and Dawson pads.  I recently bought three additional MBX mags- one 170 and two 155s.

Sv gen 1 for matches

Sti gen 1 with SS spacers for local and practice

Grams or tti guts 

Dawson or tti bases

All mags run with out problems

Did have problems with mbx and didn't get any CS  from them. I know I'm in the minority with that but not willing to put up with that from them.

Edited by jcc7x7

Hi Matt, I run 1 MBX and 2 SPS Pantera mags in my Para Ordnance p16. The MBX fits more securely but they all run fine. SPS mags have a looser fit in the gun but no failures to feed. Taking them all to nationals this week so they'll get put through the test.

If you can go all MBX you won't regret it. The one modification I did make was taking a dremel to the plastic follower to eliminate burrs as well as reduce some surface from the sides & rear to get it to sit all the way at the top. I can get 21 in the mag now. Feed lips came properly dimensional for .40 caliber

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I run all STI Gen2 9mm mags. I have 6 140s and 2 170s. I tuned them basically to what ATLAS shows on their page and FB. I run all TTI guts and basepads. After tuning, I only have to slighty bend the basepad lips to get them to fit the gauge. After that they have ran flawless until the springs weaken. I am running them in an AKAI with PT Evo grip. I have had STI Gen1, SV mags in 9mm and MBX, STI Gen1, SV mags in 40. The only ones that ever game me problems after tuning them were the SV for 9mm (newer design). 

• 2 weeks later...

MBX mags have worked flawlessly for me. Our range bays have a very rocky surface and can be hard on mags. MBX have held up well. Hold 24, 23 reloadable after following directions that came with mags.

I haven’t had any problems with either my mbx, or the gen 2 Sti mags. I have 2 170 mbx mags, one holds 29, the other 30, both reloadable. Then I have 3 sti gen 2 140s, 2 with Dawson +1s and  grams 11 coil, they hold 22, then 1 that I just build and tested today. It has a grams 11mm base pad, 13 coil spring and I get 24 reloadable, and it ran flawless today, as do my other 2 with Dawson’s. I’m torn, because I really like the Dawson design, and the look of them, but I was disappointed they only hold 22, and the grams hold 24, but I don’t like the base plate design as much. But I guess function/reliability  is what matters, grams holding 2 more and functioning flawlessly, I’m probably gonna pick up another one or two. 

Prices are pretty close once you add the goods to the sti mags, 59 for the tube, 32 for the base pad and 18 for  grams guts comes out to 109 for Dawson’s and 114 for grams, and the mbx 140s ars 130. I guess if you’re buying 5 you save 100 bucks going the sti route which is a decent amount of money. I think i like the sti myself.