Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help make my M&P 2.0 5in go fast!

chess5

I am shooting an M&P 2.0 5in for primarily 3 gun and also a little USPSA production to practice for 3 gun. 

What should I change on my gun to shoot flatter and recoil softer while staying legal in production and still able to reliabily shoot factory ammo. Tungsten guide rod, lighter recoil spring, something else?

Please note that I wont be loading lighter ammo since I can't reload where I currently live.

Edited by chess5

A stronger grip will help.

Is that 9mm or .40 ?  

If you're going to use factory ammo, you should try out different brands

and bullet weights - find one that recoils less.  Be cautious, there are factory 9mm ammo

that do NOT make PF, depending on the gun.

There are companies that design ammo for our game, that get closer to the PF needed without

going over.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

A stronger grip will help.

Is that 9mm or .40 ?  

If you're going to use factory ammo, you should try out different brands

and bullet weights - find one that recoils less.  Be cautious, there are factory 9mm ammo

that do NOT make PF, depending on the gun.

There are companies that design ammo for our game, that get closer to the PF needed without

going over.

I am shooting 9mm in minor power factor. But, I'm more worried about it in 3 gun where all I need is to be able to knock down steel. 

Do you have any recommendations other than ammo? I'm wanting to make some modifications to my gun.

40 minutes ago, chess5 said:

I want to make some modifications to my gun.

Anything that makes your gun heavier, and a much lighter

recoil spring should also help.     :) 

Lot of people shoot 9mm Minor guns that weight almost

three pounds - that softens any load.     :cheers:

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Anything that makes your gun heavier, and a much lighter

recoil spring should also help.     :) 

Lot of people shoot 9mm Minor guns that weight almost

three pounds - that softens any load.     :cheers:

Do you have any companies or specific springs that you know are good? 

If your primary game is 3-Gun (as is mine), optimize for that. I have the following modifications:

- Apex FSS trigger kit. This is a must-have upgrade IMHO.

- Fiber optic front sight . If on a budget, you can just black out the dots on the factory rear sight.

- Magazine extensions. Most rules allow 140mm. I like the TTI brand.

- Magazine well. I use SSS, but the newer versions have to be hogged out and refinished to work with TTI mag extensions.

- Extended mag release, if you have average-to-smaller hands

- ISMI CS 15lb recoil spring. You can unscrew the retaining cap from your factory recoil rod and change the spring. I tried the SSS 5" tungsten guide rod, but didn't like the extra weight... with a 9mm it is not really worthwhile IMHO. However, others may feel differently.

Note that the magazine well is not legal for Production. Again, if your primary use is 3-Gun, skip USPSA Production and just shoot USPSA Limited Minor for the practice. I have another M&P 5" in .40S&W for the few occasions when I want to shoot Limited seriously with Major PF.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

what is the stock weight of the M&P 9L recoil spring?

I May grab the  tungsten guide rod with it as I'd like a little more weight .

I'm using 147g at 3.1 PF loads. With My SZ shadow 2 I've gone to an 11# recoil spring and it shoots really flat now :)

I'd like to get as close to that as possible with my 9L.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Why would you use a 9L if you have a Shadow 2 ?

my Performance Center 9L with the apex FSS kit in it rocks.

It's my back up gun and for pure speed (like Steel challenge) it's actually a faster gun than the S2, the trigger on it

is ridiculously good and it fits my hand like a glove. 8MOA Jpoint/Shield mini RMR on there rounds out the package.

I shoot it really well.

My S2 is an awesome gun and I absolutely love it,  but it's not the be all end all of competition guns.

I am shooting an M&P 2.0 5in for primarily 3 gun and also a little USPSA production to practice for 3 gun. 

What should I change on my gun to shoot flatter and recoil softer while staying legal in production and still able to reliabily shoot factory ammo. Tungsten guide rod, lighter recoil spring, something else?

Please note that I wont be loading lighter ammo since I can't reload where I currently live.

If you can find federal syntech 150gr in bulk then I’d buy up a bunch of it. A heavier guide rod or attaching a weight to the rail for 3gun will help. Honestly the only thing that might help other than weight or reloading ammo is working on your grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mods are very similar to STEALTHY and I also use mine for 3-gun or Limited minor.

-APEX Flat faced FSS trigger

-Dawson charger sights with fiber optic front

-TTI mag extensions

-Carver magwell (no mods needed with it and will also accept factory base pads with bumpers)

-LMF extended mag release. Sadly no longer made. There are other options though, I think.

-Factory recoil spring and guide rod, My 2.0 shoots so softly with my ammo, I hesitate to screw up a good thing.

• 1 month later...