Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After using standard chronographs (with down range sky screens) for many years I switched to the Lab Radar over a year ago.  I really like it.  It has none of the vexing sensitivity to lighting conditions, intensity and angle that used to drive me nuts with sky screens.  Set up is quick and easy and the information displayed is really nice and useful...such as providing down range velocities beyond just at the muzzle.  And since it sits next to you, shooting it accidentally requires a real effort!  It is just a bit more complex and there is something of a learning curve but once that is mastered the Lab Radar is a pleasure to use. 

A bit of an old thread, but I really like my Labradar as well. I use it at an indoor range and have no problems. Great piece of kit for reloaders.

For indoor 25m range what setting ist best?
Trigger built-in mic of Doppler what sensitivity setting on built-in mic for 9mm minor standaard and 9mm major open.
Or is a external mic better?

Use the trigger setting , not doppler and no external mic and set on level 1 sensitivity. 

Where people run into problems would be the unit is not aimed at the target, too much movement of radar, muzzle location relative to the sensor, and weak batteries.

Minimized the aiming issue by using a straw set into the aiming notch.

Put the radar on a tripod or sandbag on the table mount. With a tripod, the radar can be set high enough so you can shoot standing.

Muzzle needs to be centered with the radar and slightly back of the unit and within the offset selected.

Depending on the settings you selected, battery life can be short. Using an external battery helps.

A lot of issues can be avoided by reading the users manual. If someone has been changing the settings, you can reset back to factory settings and start over. We had one person even suggested to drill holes in the housing so the unit can “hear” the shot. DO NOT let someone like that near your Labradar. 

I love it, but coming from a Caldwell G1 and G2 I hate the app.  The Caldwell allowed me to input as much information as I wanted, but the Labradar only allows me to put in bullet weight.   I can't remember what most of My strings were, but I can open my Caldwell Chronograph app and view strings in detail from the day I first used it.   This is a massive oversight from Labradar and I hope they rectify the issue. 

On 4/24/2019 at 9:59 PM, chevrofreak said:

I love it, but coming from a Caldwell G1 and G2 I hate the app.  The Caldwell allowed me to input as much information as I wanted, but the Labradar only allows me to put in bullet weight.   I can't remember what most of My strings were, but I can open my Caldwell Chronograph app and view strings in detail from the day I first used it.   This is a massive oversight from Labradar and I hope they rectify the issue. 

I’m glad to know it’s not me. The  lab radar is my first chrono so I wasn’t sure what’s normal.

For handguns I have the CE one due to ease of use. For my rifles I either use that for a Magnetospeed. Both are still cheaper than the labradar.

Posted (edited)

Coming from a Caldwell unit I was anticipating more reliable readings.  After 10 yard setup, for 45 Colt, 1st two shots registered, as expected, then - nothing after that.  30 shots in all - only 1st two registered.  I tried everything: positioning, sensitivity, offset distance,  box of rags between muzzle and device, 2 other pistols ( 380 and 9mm.)   Nothing!   Very disappointing! Oddly, by the end, the unit would just shut entirely down after each shot.  Power up, repeat after changing a parameter, and shut-down!  I was using an external battery.  I watched a lot of videos where this device seemed to be working flawlessly.  Now, I’m suspicious.  And the money I spent for two shots - still, more disappointed than unhappy.  Number for Labradar (316) 866-2525: busy all the time!   Brownells will gladly replace the unit (great service) but I was interested in what Labradar had to say.  Now I wonder: that external battery - maybe not powerful enough - the manual does reference this.  I should try six alkaline batteries and see.  Maybe, after 1st 2 shots power level, even though still showed full, was diminished enough to cause problem.  Just guessing here.

Edited by KEGJEG
Add more details

On 7/1/2019 at 5:13 AM, KEGJEG said:

Coming from a Caldwell unit I was anticipating more reliable readings.  After 10 yard setup, for 45 Colt, 1st two shots registered, as expected, then - nothing after that.  30 shots in all - only 1st two registered.  I tried everything: positioning, sensitivity, offset distance,  box of rags between muzzle and device, 2 other pistols ( 380 and 9mm.)   Nothing!   Very disappointing! Oddly, by the end, the unit would just shut entirely down after each shot.  Power up, repeat after changing a parameter, and shut-down!  I was using an external battery.  I watched a lot of videos where this device seemed to be working flawlessly.  Now, I’m suspicious.  And the money I spent for two shots - still, more disappointed than unhappy.  Number for Labradar (316) 866-2525: busy all the time!   Brownells will gladly replace the unit (great service) but I was interested in what Labradar had to say.  Now I wonder: that external battery - maybe not powerful enough - the manual does reference this.  I should try six alkaline batteries and see.  Maybe, after 1st 2 shots power level, even though still showed full, was diminished enough to cause problem.  Just guessing here.

I too had the same issues you are experiencing upon my initial use of the Labradar. Things I did to get it “working” were:

Reset the unit back to factory settings, then enter your preferences;

Make sure you have good batteries in it or a fully charged external battery;

Place a short straw in the aiming groove to make it easier to aim the unit;

The Labradar has to be kept relatively stable when firing, I have seen the unit shake a little but it recorded the shot;

Muzzle offset distant has to be within the distance you selected, I usually set the muzzle about half the offset distance (I use 6” offset and keep the muzzle about 3-4” away from the unit);

Muzzle has to be inline with the center of the unit for reliable shot detection;

Set the muzzle a couple inches behind the unit (towards the shooter) so it can sense the shot better;

Target distance I set is about 25 yards away, too close and I had problems;

I set my different velocity distances in feet;

Make sure the unit is armed and ready to record the shot;

Labradar works great for me. I mostly use it for pistol load development and will soon be doing rifle. The club I shoot with had one donated and the guys who were tasked to get it ready had a lot of “problems” getting it to run. I was asked to help and using what I learned, was able to show the guys that proper setup is crucial for reliable operation.

The unit was used in our state match with winds blowing 10-20 mph and the Labradar worked well because they set it up correctly.

Don’t listen if someone says you need to drill holes in the side so the unit can “hear” the shot. The unit detects the shot impulse, not the sound of the shot.

I have been debating getting one.. seems like they are super picky... Are they worth the investment?  

Several threads on worth it or not - general consensus is - for the occasional user probably not.  Pro Chrono is a better value for someone who pulls out the chrono maybe a couple times a year.  However, if you do load development, or use a chrono often, multiple types of firearms, indoor use, etc the LabRadar is very much worth it..

Re the OP's issues, I ran into similar issues with my first unit and returned it.  Bought another one a bit later and it has been trouble free.  The early firmware's could be picky about setup, but the current firmware is solid - I'm pretty much running mine with out of the box settings except for projectile weight and changing for pistol or rifle as needed.  Do the reset as already suggested, make sure you have the latest firmware installed, pay attention to aiming (straw, cheap plastic speed square, or this uber fancy 3d printed sight -(https://mkmachining.com/product/improved-labradar-sight/). 

Power issues with the external battery back were another issue with early firmware as well.  Personally, I'm using the Amazon version of the Labradar branded orange/white USB Battery and I've used it for probably the last 5 or 6 sessions and it still has plenty of charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A08K178/

Anyway, I love using mine, and have delegated my Pro Chrono to archery use :).

On 7/1/2019 at 8:13 AM, KEGJEG said:

i have been playing with a borrowed one at the range. i too had issues with it turning off.randomly.  i called them and we went through a few things.  the guy i spoke with told me that if the radar reciever gets overloaded it will shut down.  the range bay i was using has wood pillars around it and maybe the signal was bouncing off of it. 

the guy told me to take it to an open area so i brought it to an action bay. i set it up and it proceeded to work excellent.  since it was a bay there was nothing in the way .  it seems to need a certain amoumt of clear field for it to work 

14 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

it seems to need a certain amoumt of clear field for it to work 

I was told by the manufacturer that the radar needs at least 15 yards clear in front of it to operate properly. I have used mine several times at an indoor range on a lane with others shooting on either side of me, i have yet to have an issue as long as the sensitivity is set accordingly. 

As far as my chrono experiences goes: I started with a shooting chrony. It was meh. It was cumbersome, would not  work indoors due to not wanting to buy the indoor lighting kit  and extrapolating the data was a chore.  The labradar has been an excellent tool with little to no frustration and is far superior to the shooting chrony or any other chronograph I have used thus far. I can use it indoors with no problem, it tracks my 22 up to my 308 and all the pistol calibers I use. It quickly tells me the Powerfactor when working up loads for USPSA matches. I love it. The price was a big leap compared to others but the overall convenience and little to no possibility of shooting and ruining it made it all worth it.  I highly recommend it. Going from a shoot through chrono to a labradar is in comparison going from a single stage press to a dillon 650. They both work but one provides a much improved and more productive overall experience.