Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TSO Thumb Rest

telligentgunner

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement thumb rest for my new CZ Tactical Sport Orange. For me, the ledge on the the factory thumb rest sits too far back towards my strong (right) thumb and the angle is too steep which doesn't allow for my normal grip (like on a gun without a thumb rest).  Ideally, I'd like the ledge to sit directly over where the trigger guard meets, which is basically where the middle screw hole is, and have a less steep angle.  

I have a Toni Systems thumb rest on my Glock 34 and it's damn near perfectly positioned and angled right. 

I ordered both the thumb rest angle 2 and angle 3 from CZ-USA to see if they'll feel any better but I have doubts they'll be what I'm looking for. It also looks like one of them will interfere with the slide lock/release. 

Anyone know of any other thumb rest that wold accomplish what I'm after?

CZ vs Glock.jpg

Edited by telligentgunner

I have the angled thumbrest from CZ and it needs to be modified to work. You need to add a spacer to clear slide release and use factory screws or use pin for slide release and cut factory screws down. It was designed to use with the optic mount. I ordered the Alex to give a try, but I think I'm going to end up ordering the nitro fin.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Go to your local big box home improvement store and purchase a stick of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" aluminum angle for $15 and make dozens of your own. You can easily cut the angle with a hack saw, band saw, chop saw or table saw and it sands, files and drills easily. It takes about an hour or less of your time and you can have the one you want.

5 hours ago, George16 said:

Get the thumb rest from the IPSC Alex store or Advance Ratio

TSO thumbrest

Advance ratio TSO thumbrest

I'm not using an optic mount, both of these would sit too far back, and the angle looks the same as the factory one.

4 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Go to your local big box home improvement store and purchase a stick of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" aluminum angle for $15 and make dozens of your own. You can easily cut the angle with a hack saw, band saw, chop saw or table saw and it sands, files and drills easily. It takes about an hour or less of your time and you can have the one you want.

Interesting. I'll look into this.

I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement thumb rest for my new CZ Tactical Sport Orange. For me, the ledge on the the factory thumb rest sits too far back towards my strong (right) thumb and the angle is too steep which doesn't allow for my normal grip (like on a gun without a thumb rest).  Ideally, I'd like the ledge to sit directly over where the trigger guard meets, which is basically where the middle screw hole is, and have a less steep angle.  

I have a Toni Systems thumb rest on my Glock 34 and it's damn near perfectly positioned and angled right. 

I ordered both the thumb rest angle 2 and angle 3 from CZ-USA to see if they'll feel any better but I have doubts they'll be what I'm looking for. It also looks like one of them will interfere with the slide lock/release. 

Anyone know of any other thumb rest that wold accomplish what I'm after?

2044788354_CZvsGlock.jpg.3d0464e65e45c27febb65b3963500142.jpg
You may like the longer flatter thumb rest from CZ-USA, but you will need to replace your slide stop with the pin.

9 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Fellow TSO shooter at my local clubs did this (not sure of dimensions of starting material) and it turned out rather nice.  I'm waiting for him to make more refinements to his design so I can shamelessly have his discards.

9 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

It does look good. It's positioned about where I want mine.  You should do a YouTube tutorial.

LOL, I wouldn’t know where to begin making a video let alone putting it on YouTube. I’m just an old retired geezer who enjoys chootin’.

On 10/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, igolfat8 said:

LOL, I wouldn’t know where to begin making a video let alone putting it on YouTube. I’m just an old retired geezer who enjoys chootin’.

I got ya. If you lived anywhere near L.A., CA I'd do shoot it and get it up for ya.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, robert.a.brewer. said:

You may like the longer flatter thumb rest from CZ-USA, but you will need to replace your slide stop with the pin.

Or I could just cut down the thumb rest so it doesn't interfere. 

Or I could just cut down the thumb rest so it doesn't interfere. 
I did that and it still didn't feel right in my hand. You mileage may vary. I just got the Alex thumb rest and will install it when I get back from my trip.

I made one a couple weeks ago. I think 3/16” thick 1-1/4 aluminum angle is the easiest thing to use. I had a 1x3/4 piece of scrap wood a couple inches long and used some rubber bands to hold it against the side of the pistol. Play with angles (cut different angles) and distance to get the best fit for you. Place some painters tape at the edge of the angle for reference. Mark and drill the holes for test fit. I used a belt grinder and files to remove all material that wasn’t a thumb rest. I sanded to 400 grit and hand checkered the front of the rest with a triangle file. Looks decent but more importantly fits perfect for me. 

Sorry cant post pics. 

Here's a thumb rest that @Redfox (don't start hitting on him guys, he's not that kind of 'fox' :) ) ginned up. 

Looks pretty darn good if you ask me and the checkering is a nice touch and functional.  The pedal is positioned much better (for me) than the factory one. 

IMG_0821.thumb.JPG.34d9222a3911e9affecc23ec78496b1f.JPGIMG_0822.thumb.JPG.349306b579c9e28d1189623cdfadbc22.JPG

I ended up finding M4-.7 x 6mm flat head machine screws at a local industrial hardware supply store that a gunsmith told me about. They work perfectly. The only issue is there are silver instead of black. It saved me time and money over cutting down the factory screws that came with the gun and with the thumb rests I bought. 

Looks like they're $.65 for a 3-pack on Home Depot's website. 

The thumb rest is now perfectly positioned for me and the thumb rest below allows me to put my thumb along the frame like with a regular two-handed grip.

thumbnail_IMG_5240.jpg.f274baa6608b3a013591ed4ec2ee9fe2.jpg.

thumbnail_IMG_5241.jpg.aa0910ec5b5379b3e50a1b88c3b4b33f.jpg

On 10/25/2018 at 1:58 AM, Inkw8ll said:

... I just got the Alex thumb rest and will install it when I get back from my trip.

Hey Ink,

How do you like the Alex thumb rest?  I know it's all individual preferences, but curious what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...