Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima V metering terribly

SlvrDragon50

Anyone else have issues with Prima V metering terribly? I would get sometimes consistent powder drops, and then big fluctuations randomly (+/- 0.2-0.3gr). I also found it to be incredibly painful trying to lock down the powder drop since it would take several drops for it to get 3-5 drops that measured the same. I'm using a Hornady LNL with micrometer pistol insert. Didn't have this problem loading other powders.

Prima V and Prima SV meter great on all of my Dillon powder drops.  That said, after filling the hopper, it takes a lot of time for the powder to settle and start giving super consistent drops.  I'm talking like 100+ drops.  Once it is settled and giving consistent drops, never let it get less than half full and that consistency will continue.  I've found that from not settled to settled, there can be a +0.3 difference in charge.  Because of that, you want correct the charge after it finally drops consistently.

No, this doesn't usually happen with other powders, because most of them are very uniform.  These two powders have varying granule sizes though, so I'd imagine that is why.

Edited by fbzero

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Okay, then that's the reason why. I don't like how you mentioned never let it get less than half full though. Ill probably try and trade this bottle for something else then as I don't want to drop 100+ times each time I load just to get consistent charges.

I just don't ever empty my powder measure. It's been full for a couple years now. I typically get single digit SD's with prima v or sv even using mixed range brass.

I also get very good consistency with prima v in a dillon powder measure. Never had higher than single digit sd on any load that I've chronoed.

It did take a little while to settle when I first set up, but like others have said keep the powder hopper full and you won't have any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Okay, then that's the reason why. I don't like how you mentioned never let it get less than half full though. Ill probably try and trade this bottle for something else then as I don't want to drop 100+ times each time I load just to get consistent charges.

Do you empty your hopper after every loading session or something?  I tend to just leave the powder in mine and top it off as necessary.  These powders have delivered good accuracy and low SD's in nearly every combination I've tried.  I do find getting it settled at first to be pretty annoying, but you're good to go once it's there.

Edited by fbzero

When I was using Prima V powder I had the same issue with my RCBS powder measure. I would have to throw somewhere between 15-25 powder drops before I would start getting consistent weights. If I wasn’t loading a different cartridge I would leave the powder in the hopper and my powder drop would remain consistent. However if I emptied the hopper I would need to “start over” to get consistent throws again. Prima V is a good powder. But I have since switched to Sport Pistol when I couldn’t find it and no longer worry about inconsistent drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My SD with Prima V is typically single digit and the throw to throw variation is not bad.

However I'm wondering if the throw "wanders" a bit as the various powder kernel sizes pass through the measure.

In other words if a region of small particles is passing through the measure I wonder if you get a slightly different charge weight compared to when a region of larger particles is passing through the measure. I'm not convinced that the different sized kernels are distributed homogeneously throughout the hopper at all times.

I don' t have any data to back this up. It's just a nagging suspicion that I have based upon occasionally seeing a series of throws that are a tad bit higher or lower than my target.

Maybe this occurs with all powders and I just never noticed it before.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:37 AM, fbzero said:

Prima V and Prima SV meter great on all of my Dillon powder drops.  That said, after filling the hopper, it takes a lot of time for the powder to settle and start giving super consistent drops.  I'm talking like 100+ drops. 

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I've owned and used both.  The Hornady drop is outstanding in terms of consistency, and considerably better than the Dillon with MOST powders.  But there are some powders where the opposite is true.  I can't speak to Prima V because because by the time I was using Prima V, I had replaced the Dillon powder measure on my 650 with a Hornady.  Maybe the Dillon handles it better, maybe not, don't know. 

But as the quote above says, Prima V takes a long time to settle.  With ANY powder, after I fill the hopper, I cycle it manually 30, 40 times, maybe more, depending on how lazy I'm feeling.  But with Prima V, it was more like 100 before it dropped consistently, and even then, not as consistently as other powders.  

For the record, I never replaced the Prima V I initially bought.  It's good for cheap powder, but it's nothing special.

On October 22, 2018 at 2:28 PM, ddc said:

My SD with Prima V is typically single digit and the throw to throw variation is not bad.

However I'm wondering if the throw "wanders" a bit as the various powder kernel sizes pass through the measure.

In other words if a region of small particles is passing through the measure I wonder if you get a slightly different charge weight compared to when a region of larger particles is passing through the measure. I'm not convinced that the different sized kernels are distributed homogeneously throughout the hopper at all times.

I don' t have any data to back this up. It's just a nagging suspicion that I have based upon occasionally seeing a series of throws that are a tad bit higher or lower than my target.

Maybe this occurs with all powders and I just never noticed it before.

I went thur eight bottle of  prima v and would not buy it again what I found is the smaller pieces migrated to the bottom of the measure leaving the larger pieces towards the top of the powder measure. It did not change the charge a lot but it would keep you chasing and readjusting  plus scratching your head.

38 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

I went thur eight bottle of  prima v and would not buy it again what I found is the smaller pieces migrated to the bottom of the measure leaving the larger pieces towards the top of the powder measure. It did not change the charge a lot but it would keep you chasing and readjusting  plus scratching your head.

I guess that's what I was trying to say. As I go through a bottle there is a little more adjusting and head scratching than I'm used to.

It's not terrible by any stretch and like I said it's really not much more than nagging doubt.

I'm not going to try to figure it out as the supply is too erratic and I like Action Pistol so there I go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Prima v meter well in my dillon 650 also.  Someone else suggested to tap a electric toothbrush to the powder hop to get it to settle quicker.   I have not tried it though.  I have a lot of prima v, but saw some pressure signs out of my cz p10 and p01.  Sport pistol was way easier and consistent one metering.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 10:39 AM, motosapiens said:

I just don't ever empty my powder measure. It's been full for a couple years now. I typically get single digit SD's with prima v or sv even using mixed range brass.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.

I know this is an old thread, but it has just saved several pounds of SV from being repurposed as bon-fire ignitor.

It took a good 100 drops but its now good to go. 

Now to get over my reluctancy of leaving the powder hopper full in my garage.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:12 AM, tkane said:

Now to get over my reluctancy of leaving the powder hopper full in my garage.

I can't remember the last time I emptied my powder hopper.

Just keep topping it off. Sometimes it will sit for a couple of weeks.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, tkane said:

reluctancy of leaving the powder hopper full in my garage

conscientious labeling, doing the same procedure every time should help alleviate some of this worry.

it's one of the downsides of having one press you try to load everything on.

Edited by rowdyb

16 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

conscientious labeling, doing the same procedure every time should help alleviate some of this worry.

I use prima sv in both presses! (one for 40, one for 9).

I also put the powder jug on the bench next to the press so I never forget what is in there.

24 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

very true. I once made the mistake of not doing that and ended up with a nice blend of True Blue and Prima V.