Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressing a 1911

steviesterno

Not the usual competition topic but I know many here (myself included) prefer 1911/2011 to other platforms. And some of us even occasionally shoot for recreation not just practice. 

So with that, I’m wondering if anyone has experience suppressing a 1911. I currently have 2 full size Baers, one for single stack and one for carry/HD. I have heard that plopping in a threaded barrel can eventually mess up the stock stuff unless I have a new bushing. Even then it may wear the slide irregularly.  Is that true? Having a barrel professionally fitted brings the price up to damn near what it costs to buy an M&P with already threaded barrel

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

14 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

The answer is on you. Do you really want a suppressed 1911?  If you say yes then do it. I might just try to find a 1911 that isn’t in Baer money range

Closest I've seen so far with a threaded barrel is a Ruger enhanced, and they are $600 right now. But then I think that if I'm going to get a suppressed 1911 I may as well get one with a rail, too, right? and the step up to that is a Dan Wesson for like $1400. I don't see any budget 1911s that have both barrel and rail, but the M&P does. or I can get over the rail I suppose, but where's the fun in that? 

I have a suppressed kimber 1911 in 45acp. I love it. The real question is, why wouldn't you suppress it?!

Didn't buy an after market barrel. My kimber came threaded....

Edited by Smithcity

I shot a match with my Freedom Gunworks 2011 suppressed. I shot Open minor but it was the most fun I've had shooting a match in a long time. The 1911/2011 is the quietest 9mm suppressor host I've shot.

2011-2.thumb.jpg.0fc9ba2020511c3faa7ee34b5322bd6e.jpg

1 minute ago, Will_M said:

I shot a match with my Freedom Gunworks 2011 suppressed. I shot Open minor but it was the most fun I've had shooting a match in a long time. The 1911/2011 is the quietest 9mm suppressor host I've shot.

not sure that's the cheapest option ;)

what can did you have on it? 

25 minutes ago, Will_M said:

Do you know why it is quieter than a plastic fantastic?  

35 minutes ago, steviesterno said:

not sure that's the cheapest option ;)

what can did you have on it? 

SilencerCo Octane 9HD

10 minutes ago, RJH said:

Do you know why it is quieter than a plastic fantastic?  

Hammer fired guns tend to be quieter than the striker fired. The consensus is that the hammer keeps the action closed for a few milliseconds longer, allowing more gas to move through the suppressor instead of out of the ejection port. 

22 minutes ago, Will_M said:

Hammer fired guns tend to be quieter than the striker fired. The consensus is that the hammer keeps the action closed for a few milliseconds longer, allowing more gas to move through the suppressor instead of out of the ejection port. 

Makes sense

21 minutes ago, steviesterno said:

interesting about that keeping the gas in idea. Ok science guys, which is better/quieter to suppress out of the same can 45 can, a 147gn 9mm or a 230gn 45, assuming they are both at about 1k fps? 

Subsonic 9mm is always going to be quieter.

1 minute ago, Will_M said:

Subsonic 9mm is always going to be quieter.

why?  I hear mixed things about how there's more room in the tube for gas to go around the bullet. Also 45 seems to be pretty low pressure, I assumed *(maybe wrongly) pressure had a lot to do with noise as well. 

Some manufacturers will sell a 9mm endcap for the large bore cans if you're chasing a few extra decibels. But even with an overbored can, there's simply less gas to contain from a 9mm charge vs the powder charge in a .45ACP.

Just now, Will_M said:

Some manufacturers will sell a 9mm endcap for the large bore cans if you're chasing a few extra decibels. But even with an overbored can, there's simply less gas to contain from a 9mm charge vs the powder charge in a .45ACP.

upon reflection, my 45 reloads were like 4.0 gn clays and my 9mm minor stuff was 2.2gn or so. I do not know the volume difference or if it factors in significantly, but I guess it makes sense you would have less powder so less explosion/noise. 

I'm not trying to go crazy with quiet. I already do that with 22 subsonics through a bolt gun. that is silly. Just trying to branch into some new areas of shooting and enjoy it more. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:33 AM, Will_M said:

Very nice!  Any photo of it with can in place? 

I’ve suppressed a couple of different 2011s. I don’t see you shooting enough suppressed to harm the bushing in your Baer with a decent drop in Barrel (I use storm lake in my not so custom 2011). 

The other is a bull barreled SVI so that one had an additional barrel made for shooting suppressed.