Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping Powder in the Press

jim6918

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bofe954 said:

I think the dillon tubes must be better than the Hornady or something. I've been reloading with titegroup since Solo 1000 got scarce and have never emptied my tube. When it gets down to half I refill it. I have gone through at least 32lbs of titegroup like this.

Hornady's is super clear, very thin, and pretty flimsy, probably cheap. I have RCBS and Lee (old red and new clear) hoppers all of which seem far more tolerant, they are rigid plastic and much thicker, they discolor but haven't noticed any etching. Guessing Hornady went for economy, that level of clarity isn't required and goes away quickly.

20 hours ago, bofe954 said:

I think the dillon tubes must be better than the Hornady or something. I've been reloading with titegroup since Solo 1000 got scarce and have never emptied my tube. When it gets down to half I refill it. I have gone through at least 32lbs of titegroup like this.

Same here. Have recently switched to sport pistol but the Dillon containers have spent many months partially full of titegroup. 

10 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Wow!!!

Mine isn't that bad.  It's discolored and bulged at the bottom, but yours looks like it's very angry...

Came from someone that had Titegroup in it.  IIRC, he bumped it and spilled a pound of powder all over the bench. 

The Hornady plastic is trash. I'm told they have changed it in the last year but the plastic they changed to is very brittle. Lots of stories of hoppers showing up with cracks in them.

Honestly, after the first one being deformed like that I’d just get the glass replacement. Seems to me if you’ve had the press that long a simple $40 replacement that won’t ever have to be replaced again would be worth it. Supposedly they help with static as well, though I didn’t have that issue again after just a few weeks of use.

31 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

So if Hornady knows that they have a problem yet and they don’t send out a recall notice to offer a improved fail resistant product? Seems odd to me.

Probably because they advise against leaving powder in them?

Sarge very true, but I today’s society people sue for the most outrageous things and the craziest things that make  absolutely no sense.  Tacomandood I would strongly agree  especially if a person plans on keeping  the powder system for a long period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally like to empty the hopper if I'm not going to load for about a week. I have been guilty of leaving powder in the hopper for probably up to 8 weeks. The rounds loaded with that powder shot fine.

Press is in an uninsulated garage. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, plapczynski said:

If I keep  in powder in there I’ll drop 1/2 an index card in there with the powder type or I’ll forget. 

My MO is to keep ONLY the jug of powder I'm loading on the bench. Everything else stays in the cabinet out in the garage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leave mine in forever. I reload fairly regularly and I have a finished basement with no temp swings. With the hornady plastic hopper on top, it did eat and discolor the plastic until it was almost falling out. Got a dram worx pyrex one and haven't had an issue yet. Only time it gets emptied is if a switch to different powder for a different load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

So I inherited a older Dillion powder measure and the powder hopper is discolored and I have been wondering if the discoloration is because of sun light or caused by storing powder in it for to long. Any thoughts?

It's from the powder, and that's not too bad at all.

What’s funny is there is what appears to be a stress crack and I wonder if that could be caused from storing powder in it for to long? 

Does anyone know if the powder measure can be updated to the newer fail safe design, and if it’s worth it? 

On 10/21/2018 at 4:50 PM, jim6918 said:

How long do most of you keep your powder in the powder tube of your press?  I load every couple of days and have yet to completely go through a whole tube of powder.

I guess I was a little surprised to see some powder manufacture recommend removing all powder from the tube and putting it back into the original container if it wasn't going to be used in a couple of days.

Maybe I should only load 1/3 or 1/2 a tube at a time.

I worry about this, too, but it's too much of a hassle to empty it out, everytime, so I don't do it. Static is an issue and there is no perfect answer; as always, weigh your charges every few hundred and when it seems iffy. I recommend doing this, regardless. As such, I leave my powder in there and just make sure I reload once a week. I don't shoot frequently compared to other shooters (maybe 2 matches a month), so I at least try to cycle the bar a few times a week.

Per the user photo, above, mine also has discoloration.  That doesn't bother me, it makes sense due to the chemical rxn with the plastic, over time.

Edited by blueorison