Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*thumb rest [generic]* vs. Nitro Fin vs. Sucking it up

Pickin

It can be done, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. You have to take the grams followers and file the top until it activates the slide stop at the right time. I'm still not sure it would be 100%. That is probably why MBX have their followers set up to not lock back, and the ones that do cost you capacity. Other wise they couldn't guarantee they would work in everyone's gun. I've gone to all MBX because the work in my gun and save me a ton of time not tuning mags.

If you talk to good shooters you'll find they don't actually count their rounds, if you're trying to count you're doing it wrong. You look at the stage ahead of time and plan where you will reload before you run out. Personally I don't think I've ever dropped the hammer on a empty chamber while shooting Limited, I have shot 21 out of 22 once that I can think of becasue I forgot my reload. I never count my shots.

Do your mags reliably hold 21 rounds of 40 and lock the slide back 100%? If they do that is pretty good, and if it works no certainly reason to change it.
after watching videos from Atlas Gunworks I have my mbx bags running even better and now holding 21 rounds easily. I don't want my gun to lock back during a stage so I run mags that don't

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

after watching videos from Atlas Gunworks I have my mbx bags running even better and now holding 21 rounds easily. I don't want my gun to lock back during a stage so I run mags that don't

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is exactly what I run for the same reason.

11 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I agree, I was pointing out the reason the guns are set up to not lock back. If you just don't want to run out, all you have to do is not run out. You don't have to modify the firearm in anyway.

If you're going to run the really thin followers for maz capacity, they wont lock the gun back reliably anyway. And there is the risk of the follower snagging the slide stop and the mag not dropping free. So personally I always trim back my follower and my slide stop so they don't make contact at all. This way if I ever shoot 21 rounds with out reloading I know the mag will drop free when I hit the mag release. Other wise, why even bother with 21+1 if shooting 21 can cause the mag to stick in the gun?

My intention was to reinforce your point, not call you out :) 

For round counting:
I generally don't count during the course of fire, i pick out certain points to reload at during the walk through.  Depending on the COF, i usually pick a point where i'll be at 18 fired, so there's 2-3 extra shots just in case.

Yeah well...if you would have let go of that Briley with a 20/21 rd mag.............

but

At least I got the Nitro fin.

............And a  Ruger gun rug.

But I was thinking, on a Limited (using a metal grip) the Nitrofin would keep the weight of the pistol from pressing the mag release on a loaded table start.

Edited by WaJim

On 11/14/2018 at 9:09 PM, WaJim said:

Yeah well...if you would have let go of that Briley with a 20/21 rd mag.............

but

At least I got the Nitro fin.

............And a  Ruger gun rug.

But I was thinking, on a Limited (using a metal grip) the Nitrofin would keep the weight of the pistol from pressing the mag release on a loaded table start.

With the nitro fin, the grip is angled up on a table start.  The mag release definitely will not be pressed.
tell you what, i'll trade you a 20 rounder for the ruger gun rug :)😀

Slide lock reloads damaging an ejector is definitely good information that I wasn't aware of before. What do people do in idpa divisions where 1911's and 2011's are often reloaded at slide lock? Is the answer as simple as "just don't jam the mag in super hard"? 

I shot a little bit of idpa with my 1911 but never really did it enough to have any issues pop up. I guess I was being gentle because I never over inserted a mag either. 

16 hours ago, Harlow said:

Slide lock reloads damaging an ejector is definitely good information that I wasn't aware of before. What do people do in idpa divisions where 1911's and 2011's are often reloaded at slide lock? Is the answer as simple as "just don't jam the mag in super hard"? 

I shot a little bit of idpa with my 1911 but never really did it enough to have any issues pop up. I guess I was being gentle because I never over inserted a mag either. 

With a 2011 use a Posi Lock Mag catch made by Dawson....

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=AD013-003&n=Dawson-2011-Posi-Lock-Extended-Mag-Release

With a 1911 the mag base is what controls how far the mag is inserted in slide lock. There are quite a few that come in different heights.

Tripp is one...click 'choose options' and there's 4 different heights. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/basepads-1911-by-tripp-research/

7 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

I dont understand how slide lock can damage ejector if parts and mags are fitted right. If you have over insertion mag problems, you didnt tune your gun and mags correctly.

There is nothing except the mag catch to prevent over insertions on a 2011. The mags do not have a tang like what is found on a 1911 mag to stop it. Your statement about tuning is inaccurate regarding 2011’s which is what the OP is asking about. Slide lock is a personal preference but the majority of folks who do not want their 2011 to go to slide lock (the majority of 2011 owners) do so because of the design of the pistol/magazines not because they are not tuned. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:27 PM, SlappyMcTrigger said:

I have the nitrofin and think it helps with grip consistency and don’t have issues going back and forth with SS. Try one and I’m sure you could sell it and recoup most of the money you spent if you don’t like it.

I dimpled mine and removed some off the inner shelf to prevent slide lock. I agree with the above statement about weak hand only (provided you’re a righty). I went to inadvertent slide lock without the dimple by bumping it with my hand. 

I don’t have an issue going from NitroFin LTD to Production shooting a CZ without.