Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*thumb rest [generic]* vs. Nitro Fin vs. Sucking it up

Pickin

Made the swtich, from a CZ TSO in 9mm to STI in .40.  CZ comes with a *thumb rest [generic]*; the STI in 40 that I have just has grip tape.  The 40 to me a snappy round, but I need to for Major PF in USPSA.  Is the *thumb rest [generic]* or Nitro Fin worth is or should I just suck it up?   I have used the STI in one match so far, didn't do bad mid pack, but that's normal for me.  I am in the Limited class and do not want to go to Open.  I tend to pull the second round with the STI to the C zone, the CZ I can stay in the A.  I know that grip is a major part in that, but I think my support hand (my left) thumb is jammed hard putting pressure to the right.

Made the swtich, from a CZ TSO in 9mm to STI in .40.  CZ comes with a *thumb rest [generic]*; the STI in 40 that I have just has grip tape.  The 40 to me a snappy round, but I need to for Major PF in USPSA.  Is the *thumb rest [generic]* or Nitro Fin worth is or should I just suck it up?   I have used the STI in one match so far, didn't do bad mid pack, but that's normal for me.  I am in the Limited class and do not want to go to Open.  I tend to pull the second round with the STI to the C zone, the CZ I can stay in the A.  I know that grip is a major part in that, but I think my support hand (my left) thumb is jammed hard putting pressure to the right.

suck it up. grip harder, prep your trigger and break the shot when the sight is level

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a decent grip but much prefer the nitro fin over a stock gun for a couple reasons. It really helps with a consistent grip point and also helps control recoil a bit. Consistency wins matches. Also, a nitro fin doesn’t require drilling and tapping a frame. 

If only they were in stock!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You won't be able to rack the gun comfortably from the front serrations with a thumb rest.

Also you will have difficulty going back to divsions that don't allow them.

Learn to shoot your gun without the thumb rest until you go to open!

Then buy everything you can for it! LoL

2 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

Nitro fin seems to be a lot easier to put on. Have any of you who tried it had trouble with hold back on empty? I dont know, but seems to me downward pressure would keep the Nitrofin  slide stop from engaging the slide when mag follower tries to push it up.

Dimple it or you will lock back on weak/ strong hand shots.

3 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

Nitro fin seems to be a lot easier to put on. Have any of you who tried it had trouble with hold back on empty? I dont know, but seems to me downward pressure would keep the Nitrofin  slide stop from engaging the slide when mag follower tries to push it up.

it is not designed to auto lock back on empty if that is what you are asking 

On 11/9/2018 at 1:12 PM, jcc7x7 said:

You won't be able to rack the gun comfortably from the front serrations with a thumb rest.

Also you will have difficulty going back to divsions that don't allow them.

Learn to shoot your gun without the thumb rest until you go to open!

Then buy everything you can for it! LoL

With the nitro fin, i do not have any problems with front racking.

I also switch from limited (nitrofin) to SS with no problems.  

On 11/11/2018 at 12:03 AM, WaJim said:

I have a nitro-fin that I got with a gun purchase.....and have been refraining from using it.

Figure ..If I like it then ill need more.

Ill try it one of these days.

Just do it!!  Don't wait!!  ??

20 minutes ago, NoJams38 said:

In that case its deal breaker. Inevitably sooner or later you will miscount. I know some guys dont care but for me its essential.

Most Limited and Open shooters are more concerned with capacity then locking open on the last round. To get followers that will work reliably you tend to loose a couple rounds in mag. That's why people set there gun up to not lock open. It's not that they just don't care.

28 minutes ago, NoJams38 said:

In that case its deal breaker. Inevitably sooner or later you will miscount. I know some guys dont care but for me its essential.

People who run them are in limited division with ~20 round mags. Additionally, the majority of people don’t want a 2011 to lock back because the mags don’t have a tang to stop over insertion which can break the ejector. If you run dry during a stage with 20 round mags then you’ve probably already had the wheels come off.

6 minutes ago, NoJams38 said:

It takes gunsmith skill and well tuned mags to lock back on empty but there is no loss of capacity. Go to enough matches and you will always see  a high classification shooter who drops hammer on empty gun. If you can count perfectly its a non issue. Would you rather reload a gun that is locked back or one that is empty and needs to be racked, after you are surprised its empty? And there will sometimes be the stage where it is advantageous  to lock back and then change mags. Or if you take extra shots, etc.

You do lose capacity with lock back followers in some applications. Competition followers tend to be shorter than one with a shelf to interface with the slide stop. 

I have the nitrofin and think it helps with grip consistency and don’t have issues going back and forth with SS. Try one and I’m sure you could sell it and recoup most of the money you spent if you don’t like it.

I dimpled mine and removed some off the inner shelf to prevent slide lock. I agree with the above statement about weak hand only (provided you’re a righty). I went to inadvertent slide lock without the dimple by bumping it with my hand. 

24 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Most Limited and Open shooters are more concerned with capacity then locking open on the last round. To get followers that will work reliably you tend to loose a couple rounds in mag. That's why people set there gun up to not lock open. It's not that they just don't care.

Nearly all limited/open shooters i know never ever want the gun to lock back.  It's pretty rare for a high class shooter to click on an empty chamber, at least in my limited experience.

15 hours ago, DukeEB said:

Nearly all limited/open shooters i know never ever want the gun to lock back.  It's pretty rare for a high class shooter to click on an empty chamber, at least in my limited experience.

I agree, I was pointing out the reason the guns are set up to not lock back. If you just don't want to run out, all you have to do is not run out. You don't have to modify the firearm in anyway.

If you're going to run the really thin followers for maz capacity, they wont lock the gun back reliably anyway. And there is the risk of the follower snagging the slide stop and the mag not dropping free. So personally I always trim back my follower and my slide stop so they don't make contact at all. This way if I ever shoot 21 rounds with out reloading I know the mag will drop free when I hit the mag release. Other wise, why even bother with 21+1 if shooting 21 can cause the mag to stick in the gun?

15 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

It takes gunsmith skill and well tuned mags to lock back on empty but there is no loss of capacity. Go to enough matches and you will always see  a high classification shooter who drops hammer on empty gun. If you can count perfectly its a non issue. Would you rather reload a gun that is locked back or one that is empty and needs to be racked, after you are surprised its empty? And there will sometimes be the stage where it is advantageous  to lock back and then change mags. Or if you take extra shots, etc.

It can be done, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. You have to take the grams followers and file the top until it activates the slide stop at the right time. I'm still not sure it would be 100%. That is probably why MBX have their followers set up to not lock back, and the ones that do cost you capacity. Other wise they couldn't guarantee they would work in everyone's gun. I've gone to all MBX because the work in my gun and save me a ton of time not tuning mags.

If you talk to good shooters you'll find they don't actually count their rounds, if you're trying to count you're doing it wrong. You look at the stage ahead of time and plan where you will reload before you run out. Personally I don't think I've ever dropped the hammer on a empty chamber while shooting Limited, I have shot 21 out of 22 once that I can think of becasue I forgot my reload. I never count my shots.

Do your mags reliably hold 21 rounds of 40 and lock the slide back 100%? If they do that is pretty good, and if it works no certainly reason to change it.

16 hours ago, NoJams38 said:

The main reason for a slide NOT to lock back is the potential for breaking your ejector on a slide lock reload.  The vast majority of people don't have their slide locking back in high cap divisions.  If you are running the gun dry regularly,( In a high cap division) there are issues other than how your gun is setup