Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 sudden light strikes

swordfish

Changed nothing. 13k through the gun plus a ton of dryfire. 

thought it was primers, maybe the 1050 was dirty so I hand seated them and still happened. 

my hammer is carmonized, maybe since the chrome is gone it’s wearing and introducing drag?

firing pin is only .001 shorter than brand new. springs look ok. 

mainspring is bent. Could it be fatigued?

Again this gun ran perfect all year no problems. Now 2 weeks before nationals it’s messing up. Turned the strain screw up a hair but it feels heavy now. hammer still has full range of motion. 

Sear spring was broken in it when I took it apart to clean it the other day but I swapped it for a different spring out of a working gun, still the same problem. 

right now the hammer is in dykem trying to see drag but nothing shows up

How often do you clean the firing pin tunnel? Maybe it's got dirt blocking the firing pin from going all the way forward.Broken firing pin? Check for broken hammer or trigger stud. That makes guns do strange things. Check endshake. Hammer drag isn't it. If you changed nothing, it must be due to long use (dirt, carbon, etc.), wear (endshake) or breakage. Check the hammer tension with a trigger pull gage. That will tell you if it's the mainspring or not.

Edited by Toolguy

2 weeks out from nats? 

Try like 4 days bro!

Take out the bent main spring, put in something new like a Bang inc spring , over night it from brownells, or if they cant get in time let me know and i'll send one out via next day

Make sure you dont have more then .002 - .003 end shake or so. 

Make sure the light hits are center of primer, if they are off center it could be a timing issue or a cylinder stop skipping problem.

If you're doubting the hammer, just replace it. Get a TK hammer or something and just cross it off your list.

Now is not the time for days and days of R&D testing tossing one part here and there with nats so close. 

I've got tons of extra parts on hand, give me a ring if you want me to pack everything up and send it out. 

Looks like it’s the mainspring. I have the strain screw held in place with a set screw and the frame is marked with a scribe where the slot in the strain screw lines up. Hammer tension is like 31oz, which is 7oz lower than the beginning of the season. trigger pull is like a pound lighter too. I have a Bang in my buddy’s gun, and a drawer full of stock Smith springs. I just turned the strain screw a bit and I’ll go testfire tonight. 

Brownells took 2 days to ship out a spring that I paid $20 for 2 day shipping. Still hasn’t arrived because of the weekend. Gonna bitch em out tomorrow. I leave Tuesday. 

Started having light strikes last Saturday. replaced broken sear spring and cleaned the gun, paying special attention to the firing pin channel. Nothing else seemed broken under close inspection. But the differing spring tension makes me assume it’s the mainspring. 

4 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Put in a stock spring and set it to 40 oz. Better to have a bit of insurance. That sounds like the problem. 31 oz is pretty light.  

yeah. it was set at 38 before and was flawless. Gonna put a bang in there tonight and head to the range. 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's more than enough - I usually change all the springs 

around the 6,000 round mark     :) 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

6k? I think that's a little light. 

You all change yo springs out? 

weird

7 hours ago, alecmc said:

You all change yo springs out? 

weird

Not unless there's an issue. And I have a 929 with most likely the highest round count of any, and the springs have been fine. 

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, swordfish said:

yeah. it was set at 38 before and was flawless. Gonna put a bang in there tonight and head to the range. 

Just curious, how did the Bang, etc work? Is the function back to normal?

That's more than enough - I usually change all the springs 
around the 6,000 round mark     [emoji4] 
I have 50K on the same springs in my 627-4 no change in trigger pull weight from day one.
I've never kept track, but I'm way over 30k rounds and a similar about of dry fire. Never changed a single part since I set up the gun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk