Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP or MBX for new PCC rifle.

Looking to pick-up a new PCC.  Have narrowed it to 2 guns.  The JP GMR-15 or the MBX Pro Series PCC.

I currently have the Rock River 9mm Competition Rifle.  Runs flawlessly.  2 years in and runs any ammo I have put in it and only 1 malfunction that was my fault early on because I didn't seat magazine completely.

Looking for pros and cons with either purchase.

With either purchase, are there any add-ons that anyone would suggest?

thanks for any information.

OP states above that he’s had one malfunction in two years and it was operator induced.  Reliability doesn’t seem to be the driver behind his desire to change guns. 

Granted it’s still very limited round count, but I love my jp gmr15 upper on my colt pattern lower. 

Thanks to everyone for the information.  I was already leaning to the JP.

Just looking for something different than my Rock River.  Like most I like a variety of toys to play with. 

I have backups for all of my pistols so I thought I would do the same for PCC.

I have seen the MBX and JP in action and both seem to run perfectly.  However, like mentioned above, the JP has a solid reputation if ever sold.  My problem is I tend to collect.  

Thank you!!

The MBX has no muzzle rise. Buy an MBX. Then sell me your R-9! I have an R-9 and they just plain run. I will argue the Rock River magazines work perfectly. The coating on them is like a Cerakote or something and doesn't wear. If you want more capacity, just add a Taylor Freelance extender and you get ten more rounds. 42 rounds should get you through most stages!

But like you I built a back up rifle with all Rock River parts but the MBX 14" barrel with the welded comp. This gun with the Q-buffer and a Wolff XP buffer spring displays NO muzzle climb. The MBX comp works so well I put one on the R-9. I had great results. I also put Rock River Varmint triggers in both. The 3 1/2 pound break is great when trying for an accurate shot. I find myself grabbing the MBX barreled Rock River first because it is just faster.

18 minutes ago, mike4045 said:

I ran an uzi mag gun up until 3 months ago. No issues just easier to reload glock mags. I am looking at a sig MPX next. JP is a close second to that.

Try the Lula Colt SMG magazine loader/unloader. It makes loading the stick mags a piece of cake. They are very similar to the HK MP5 loader except 1/5 the price.

Reloading on the clock is, IMO, one of the last considerations for a USPSA PCC. No mag limits, couplers, extensions, etc. The only thing you might have to worry about is classifiers and even then a 20 rd. mag w/ a TF or other extension downloaded reloads smooth as butter.

Reliability is THE NUMBER ONE winner/loser in PCC. One of the greats can take a clunky bone-stocker and win matches as long as it's reliable. Give the same shooter a blinged out super-shooter than chokes and he's out. Colt mags SHOULD be more reliable in the double stack-double feed variety. The round has less distance to travel to present itself to the bolt, meaning you have more leeway in bolt speed/buffer setup, etc.

I have both. Have won matches and lost matches...with both. Neither was the fault of a colt or glock mag pattern. If you want something new and fancy, I get it. BUT IMO try changing the stock, handguard, grip, and whatever other visual accessories you want to make it look and feel new and keep the mags/receiever/bolt/buffer setup that's 100% reliable first. 

Both are great guns, not really and apples to apples comparison though. The JP is more customized thus costing more, the MBX is pretty much set except for a few options. The MBX in my opinion is an excellent value for what you get. I think you would be happy with either one of these choices.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:41 PM, mike4045 said:

I ran an uzi mag gun up until 3 months ago. No issues just easier to reload glock mags. I am looking at a sig MPX next. JP is a close second to that.

I see just as many issues with the MPX as cheap home build AR9's. Our rental MPX has broke more, gone through more mags and jammed more than our HI Point 995. The 995 has a much higher round count mostly due to the Sig always being down. MPX would be near the bottom of my list.

I have the mbx, I’ve shot 3500-4000 rounds and haven’t had any issues. I will say read the instructions on tuning the buffer and about break in. It’s set up really nice from Adrian, I’ve changed three things 1) ambi charging handle 2) a ctr stock with a fang 3)  magpul moe grip. I’ve been shooting 147gr rn with 3.2gr of titegroup cci primer mixed brass. It’s kind of sluggish so I’m going 124 fmj with 3.6 to 4.0gr titegroup cci primer mixed brass.  Adrian has answered any questions I’ve had usually under 24 hours from time I sent the email. 

I bought an MBX to give relief and backup for my Sig MPX.  I bought it because of the options built in like the muzzle device to reduce muzzle rise, the bad lever that is the same as on my 3-gun rifles, the tune-able buffer system, and the adjustable mag well. I wanted a system that was more like what I was used to and that had little muzzle rise. 

I shot a JP and it just seemed to jumpy for me.

Theres a bunch of videos on the JP. Theres like 2 vids on the MBX and theyre both by Adrian Cobb, MBX owner. I did an unboxing, tabletop, and shooting review. I put 500 rounds, only 1 failure to feed and it wasnt the rifles fault. I was testing its reliability with my problem glock mags and it did pretty good!

Ill be posting the vid soon. It definitely can run faster than my finger can. Im no pro but I felt like it when shooting this thing. I hate optics because red dots like to play hide and seek with me. I ran bill drill a few times with it. Not only did that dot just nod calmly at me, i was able to push the splits to what a c class shooter shouldnt be seeing.

All in all, it works. Its a handsome rifle, and its cheaper than the jp. 

Edited by Jcgatus