Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plastic vs Metal 2011 Grip

tdp88

What are your thoughts on 2011 grip options? I’ve noticed a lot of guys going to metal grips. Is this just because they’re the new hotness or is it a real advantage? I’ve shot some 6 inch and pin guns with plastic grips and I’ve shot metal grips but never back to back. I’m going to have a gun built next year and am just wondering if it’s worth the extra cost. I’m probably going with a 5 inch gun if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out with a plastic gripped gun and then had a custom gun built with an SV aggressive grip and the difference is remarkable. The metal grip fits my hand better, adds weight to the gun which ( I believe) helps manage recoil better. I'll never own another 2011 without  a metal grip. 

That being said, There is a hunge difference between the companies that make metal grips. If I was to rank them based on how they fit my hand, SV would be number 1, PT #2, Cheely #3. 

Edited by GringoBandito

50 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I really think it is personal preference. I started with a plastic grip, used several different steel grips, and wound up back at the polymer DVC grip as my favorite. 

I tried a steel grip in Open and quite frankly the gun was just too heavy for my taste. I have heard of some guys who just leave them bagged all day instead of wearing because of weight. It wasn’t quite that bad for me but it sure felt good to take it off after a match.

I’m currently using stippled polymer but may try an aluminum Cheely next year. I think it’s only 2oz heavier than poly.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

I tried a steel grip in Open and quite frankly the gun was just too heavy for my taste. I have heard of some guys who just leave them bagged all day instead of wearing because of weight. It wasn’t quite that bad for me but it sure felt good to take it off after a match.

I’m currently using stippled polymer but may try an aluminum Cheely next year. I think it’s only 2oz heavier than poly.

Might want to try the PT titanium grip.  A bit pricey, but very nice quality and a lot lighter than the steel version.

I've been running poly grips on both my Open guns.  At Area 8 I had a chance to handle the new Cheely E2 grips in both Al and steel.  I loved the way they felt, and the grippiness.  I ordered a set for the gun I'm building now.  I went with steel because I wanted the extra weight to balance out the gun.  With the poly grips, both guns feel quite front heavy.

Thanks, for all the feed back. I think I’ve decided to go with a plastic grip for now until I can get my hands on a couple metal grips to see which one I like. I figure if anything shooting the plastic grip will help me work on my grip strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my Cheely Custom Gunworks 3gun pistol with the metal grip.  It weighs 13 ounces more than my CKARMS Commander with an aluminum grip.  If you're shooting 40 major, I think the non-reciprocating mass helps, but it's not really needed for 9mm or open guns.  The best thing about them to me, is they make reloads faster because they are so slick inside.

50 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

The best thing about them to me, is they make reloads faster because they are so slick inside.

I do love the noise they make when doing a fast reload!