Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest Recommendations

saibot

22 minutes ago, NoJams38 said:

I talked to guy at Speed Shooters International. They said by far the GoGun models out sell all the others. I guess if voting with dollars counts, GoGun wins the "election". He said no complaints from customers, so they must have good product.

Hard to believe YOU would say this.  

9 hours ago, NamesNotMike said:

I just seen the Limcat's wedge thumb rest that I would like to try, but I don't see that it's for sale on their website. I, like a lot of other people that have commented, do not like the thumb to be too vertical.

I tried the wedge thumb rest ("pyramid") for a one match and about 1,000 rounds and did not like it. My thumb kept slipping off. I felt I had much better control with a more *thumb rest [generic]* design.

I usually recommend that shooters (in whatever sport) pick one design early on that fits best, then stay with that one. Constantly changing seems to always disrupt the potential of the tool (firearm) and the shooter..  

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Nevadazielmeister said:

I tried the wedge thumb rest ("pyramid") for a one match and about 1,000 rounds and did not like it. My thumb kept slipping off. I felt I had much better control with a more *thumb rest [generic]* design.

I usually recommend that shooters (in whatever sport) pick one design early on that fits best, then stay with that one. Constantly changing seems to always disrupt the potential of the tool (firearm) and the shooter..  

I agree, however I had to change from one mount to another after STI put on a RTS2 and I liked the flat thumb rest that ordinally came on my DVC. So sometimes it's not changing something just to change it maybe you don't have a choice to change. Anytime I change something I like to do it in the off season when I have time to dry fire and run local indoor matches to get use to it. 

I know for me the GoGun is just to straight up and down, I like my thumb to be flatter and my wrist locked over more then my thumb higher. I get a better and more consistence grip probably from being use to having the thumb on the frame over the trigger when shooting guns without thumb rest.

It's nice that people will clean off their bench and sell the things that doesn't work for them so others can try something that they have had their eye on trying and get it at a reduced price. I know that I have a couple of mag releases that I need to sell that I thought was go to work great but didn't. Or maybe I should say they worked to good when I didn't want them to!

2 hours ago, NamesNotMike said:

I agree, however I had to change from one mount to another after STI put on a RTS2 and I liked the flat thumb rest that ordinally came on my DVC. So sometimes it's not changing something just to change it maybe you don't have a choice to change. Anytime I change something I like to do it in the off season when I have time to dry fire and run local indoor matches to get use to it. 

I know for me the GoGun is just to straight up and down, I like my thumb to be flatter and my wrist locked over more then my thumb higher. I get a better and more consistence grip probably from being use to having the thumb on the frame over the trigger when shooting guns without thumb rest.

It's nice that people will clean off their bench and sell the things that doesn't work for them so others can try something that they have had their eye on trying and get it at a reduced price. I know that I have a couple of mag releases that I need to sell that I thought was go to work great but didn't. Or maybe I should say they worked to good when I didn't want them to!

Best post all day. 

I have seen people change their setup right before a match. And then they do it again the next match.. and so on and so forth. Rinse, lather, repeat, fail, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried most of the rests mentioned in this thread and I have to say that for me the Nitro Fin suits me best.  Its all a matter of preference.  Even though the Nitro Fin is small, it feels good in the hand and mimics the "natural" placement of the thumb better than anything I have tried.

I gotta ask, are these used to put forward/downward pressure to try and keep the gun from rising?

Or, is it there to rest your thumb on?

Seems like it'd be easy to torque the gun to the strong side if you're not careful. 

I've never used one. 

9 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I gotta ask, are these used to put forward/downward pressure to try and keep the gun from rising?

Or, is it there to rest your thumb on?

Seems like it'd be easy to torque the gun to the strong side if you're not careful. 

I've never used one. 

That’s the reason why I have mine as far forward as possible. I use it as a “locator” so my weak hand grip is consistent. Very little pressure is applied to the rest.