Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34/35 holster for production USPSA

Pc70

So my 12 yr old son is gong to shoot a little combat with me. I bought him a Glock 35 (I offered to get him a 1911 like mine but he wanted the Glock) so I find myself looking for a good holster for him.

I came across the Comp-Tac International which looks great but the more I dig the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Just realize I shoot a 1911 and draw from the Chapman Highrise I ised in the 80s when I was a kid shooting IPSC. I know the game has changed which is why I want input on what he needs.

1 hour ago, Pc70 said:

So my 12 yr old son is gong to shoot a little combat with me. I bought him a Glock 35 (I offered to get him a 1911 like mine but he wanted the Glock) so I find myself looking for a good holster for him.

I came across the Comp-Tac International which looks great but the more I dig the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Just realize I shoot a 1911 and draw from the Chapman Highrise I ised in the 80s when I was a kid shooting IPSC. I know the game has changed which is why I want input on what he needs.

I like the blade tech with the boss hanger from the Ben stoeger pro shop.  The blade tech has a much smoother draw than the comptacs I’ve had.  The boss hanger will allow you to adjust the height and cant to fit him best.

I run a comp tac on a boss hanger. Only because I had one laying around. It works fine. 

I've also had the bladetech and redhill tactical. All are fine. None offer any advantage over the others. They all run with the boss hanger. 

Robert King runs RedHill. He's a good dude. Sponsors a lot of shooters and matches. I like buying from folks like that.

I'm sure the folks that run comptac and bladetech are great too!  

Edited by B_RAD

I appreciate the input guys. When I did this stuff back in the 80s things were a lot different with way fewer choices. Since the boy is new to it all I want him to get a good start. 

I have been doing a bit of surfing over my morning coffee and there is a lot to digest, BUT if I really look at it for what it is the choice is pretty clear,....get one of the aforementioned holsters put it on a belt and get him practicing.

When he gets his butt out of bed I will have him choose a holster.

Thanks for the input guys.

Have successfully used a Blade Tech drop offset with my G35 for years. Appreciate the carry position lower than belt line. Don't have to fold up my long arms to draw.

Adjustable setups will grow with your son.

Invictus also makes a nice adjustable hanger that works with at least Blade Tech.

http://www.invictuspractical.com/holster-hanger.html

Edited by Paul49

I have a few Blade Techs for different guns.  The one for the G34/35 is the only Blade Tech that I really haven't liked.  I tried a Red Hill and never looked back.  Great holsters.  I went with the Ben Stoger hanger on the RHT.

I got him to sit down with me and look at the holsters. He likes the Comp-Tac (and that was without me saying anything except pick one of these three). so at the very least we have a starting point. 

Thanks to everyone for the input. I liked giving him choices and letting him make the decision. I am hoping this sport sticks with him. I did it in the 80s then got away from it for LONG time but got back a year ago when he started shooting with me. It has changed a lot but its still lot of fun and I don't see us not going to shoot combat and steels for quite some time.

Edited by Pc70
spell check sucks

I used the bladetech drop offset for a while and thought it was fine until I used the boss hanger. It gives a lot more options on height and can’t. For the holster, I’ve owned both models from bladetech, can’t remember model names, but either will do. I honestly can’t tell much of a difference when drawing from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, BASTi.GWAPo said:

I wish your 12 year old the best of luck!!!

Thanks...He is really excited to shoot combat with dad in the Spring. We shoot Steel Challenge now and he tried a combat match (ok he was allowed to shoot the stages with his 22 after the match) so its good bonding time.

I ordered his International and BOSS hanger. The belt will wait until Spring since he is a growing boy.

I have the list of other holsters to try in the event he doesn't like the International.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, RePete said:

They are both still on the web site.

The name is but the pix don't show the same attachment I have and liked.  Don't like the look of the newer Tek Lok, admit I haven't tried it either,  or the attachment I got on the last one I got.

31 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

The name is but the pix don't show the same attachment I have and liked.  Don't like the look of the newer Tek Lok, admit I haven't tried it either,  or the attachment I got on the last one I got.

If it's the ASR attachment, the classic comes with TechLok and ASR but the Signature has either the TechLok or ASR.

16 minutes ago, RePete said:

If it's the ASR attachment, the classic comes with TechLok and ASR but the Signature has either the TechLok or ASR.

The one I have, and really like, is integral with the holster.  It's a bit tighter to the body but seems more stable.

The asr is a wing looking item.

Oh well, progress.

Edited by pskys2

Blade tech on a BOSS dropped worked best for me. The hanger stays put and adds rigidity to the holster for a better consistent draw. Plus the blade tech bodies themselves aren’t that expensive so if you change guns you can still use the hanger.