Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags with "window holes" in the back

bigboy69

I would like to drill holes in the back of my magazines to show when I have 10 rounds in the mag, for steel shooting and steel challenge.  Did anyone do this?

Or the people that have the new STI mags, can you tell me what qty the window holes are at and measurements so I can drill my own???

8 hours ago, bigboy69 said:

I would like to drill holes in the back of my magazines to show when I have 10 rounds in the mag, for steel shooting and steel challenge.  Did anyone do this?

Or the people that have the new STI mags, can you tell me what qty the window holes are at and measurements so I can drill my own???

I've done it, all depends on the guts inside your tubes.  Plus you really need a drill press that can be adjusted to a really slow speed in order to drill the stainless tubes and NOT burn up your, what should already be, sharp drill bits.  Or of course, bore them using a mill.

I've also heard the holes in the back of the newer STI tubes are not accurate in their location.  I've only heard that, have not witnessed it myself.

Don, if you want to give me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a shout next week.

I did it, and you do need a drill press and the right drills.   You'll also need to put some wood inside the mag to support it.  

The whole thing is not terribly difficult.

You could stack 10 rounds in there, turn upside down, remove basepad/spring/follower and measure to the first round to determine where the hole should be. Wouln't you need another hole to make sure you don't have 11 rounds in the mag?

21 hours ago, joelpend said:

You could stack 10 rounds in there, turn upside down, remove basepad/spring/follower and measure to the first round to determine where the hole should be. Wouln't you need another hole to make sure you don't have 11 rounds in the mag?

HaHa its just to make sure I got 10 in my mag when I shoot steel challenge