Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF in a 40

Poconolg

• Does anyone have any experience with WSF in a 40?  What  did you think of it?  I am using 165 plated bullets in a Glock 23
i used it for a couple months for uspsa loading long for a 2011 platform. it didn't meter that great for me so back to titegroup it was. maybe your experience will be different. What are you looking to achieve? soft recoil impulse? high degree of accuracy?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Curious what you don't like about HP38/Win231?

I'm currently using HP38/231 in my 40 Limited Gun (Atlas Nemesis 2011) running 165gr Zero FPs.

My complaint with HP38 is the same with Titegroup - those powders burn VERY hot.   

I've recently tried Sport Pistol from Alliant. It's got a LOT of promise with 180gr FMJs and Coated bullets.

I have two  Dan Wesson 1911 40's  that I load for.  One is a stock SSC, and the other is a custom Silverback that I had built.  Load 165 gr Xtreme's, with 5.6 gr WSF in the SSC, and 5.7 gr WSF in the custom. Both shoot real good with those loads. SSC put 5 rounds in slightly over 1 1/8" off my bench at 25 yds. Custom, haven't shot for group, but off hand shooting seems as good as the SSC. Comfortable loads to shoot, could probably get down to 5.5 or 5.4 gr on the SSC, and still function, but my custom is still newish, and wants a slightly heavier charge. That's pretty good grouping for a plated bullet, but I am very careful with my reloading. I really like WSF, and also WST, and mostly use those two powders for all my 9,40, and 45 loadings.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, musky said:

I have two  Dan Wesson 1911 40's  that I load for.  One is a stock SSC, and the other is a custom Silverback that I had built.  Load 165 gr Xtreme's, with 5.6 gr WSF in the SSC, and 5.7 gr WSF in the custom. Both shoot real good with those loads. SSC put 5 rounds in slightly over 1 1/8" off my bench at 25 yds. Custom, haven't shot for group, but off hand shooting seems as good as the SSC. Comfortable loads to shoot, could probably get down to 5.5 or 5.4 gr on the SSC, and still function, but my custom is still newish, and wants a slightly heavier charge. That's pretty good grouping for a plated bullet, but I am very careful with my reloading. I really like WSF, and also WST, and mostly use those two powders for all my 9,40, and 45 loadings.

I second the WSF and the WST in .40! Very soft shooting recoil from both. I like the WST better for accuracy and felt recoil. 4.8G of WST makes major PF when loaded out to 1.200 under 180g PC lead in my STI Edge.

• 4 weeks later...