Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Irons Build Help

Midwest3Gunner

I want to build an actual irons rifle for limited, and I am having a little difficulty finding parts for said upper.  I'm just kind of spitballing ideas here, so bear with me.

According some old threads here on Enos, a 20in barrel .750 diameter straight taper is kind of considered the best profile for an irons gun. Is that still true? Would an 18in barrel with a similar taper to a JP light (.650 under the handguard and .750 in front of the gas block) be alright? I'm kind of figuring on having to turn down a barrel either way, because I can only find odd, heavy profiles on 20in barrels.

My second concern is finding actual sights for it. As Ive done my research so far, I have four options for a front sight block (FSB):

1: Armalite clamp on (which is discontinued and like trying to find unicorn dust)

2: Brownells has a clamp on from Battle Arms Development (but it takes AK front sight posts)

3:JP Adjustable Gas Block/Front Sight (I'd rather not send over 100 dollars on a front sight, I plan on running an Odin Works Adjustable block under the handguard.

4: Try to tap/modify a regular FSB to convert to clamp on.

I am probably going to run a 15in or longer handguard on it. My rear sight set up will probably be dual MaTechs, like in the iron sight thread pinned at the top of the forum. A question for CO-Exprs, what is the front rear sight drilled out to?

So all in all, I'm really just asking advice on 18 vs 20in barrel, is the 2 or so inches of sight radius worth the weight, and what to do about a front sight. I am not really expecting to shoot much past 400 yds, if that helps.

Thanks for your time and expertise!  The photo below is similar to my goal, if that helps.

Credit: CO-Exprs heavy rifle

IMG_0134_zpsa16c7085.jpg

13 minutes ago, nguySBR1 said:

Alternative front sight post suggestion:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsightbaseforgedpowerwedgewsetscrewswobayolug.aspx

these work and allow for gross windage adjustment at installation.

How goofy is the installation without flats milled in the barrel? Kind of like aligning a M1 Garand barrel/gas cylinder with the rear sight?

Its easily done. Get it eye ball straight then go to the range. Get a group on paper and adjust the windage side to side by loosening one side and tightening the other side. Once good, tighten down evenly on both sides and recheck the zero.

I use Yankee Hill Machine front sight gas blocks for my  iron sight guns. It is a folding front sight, but I drill and tap a hole through the side and use a screw to lock it into the up position. They are sturdy as they come, the screw just adds an extra measure of confidence that it isn't going to move. It also uses standard A2  front sight posts. I position the YHM sight right behind the comp and use 15.5" hand guards on my rifles. I have three with 20" barrels (my preference) and one 18". The 18 is a JP CTR-02 light contour. It works well and is an 18 only because John doesn't like building 20" light contour barrels

Hurley

On 10/20/2018 at 1:39 PM, HRider said:

I use Yankee Hill Machine front sight gas blocks for my  iron sight guns. It is a folding front sight, but I drill and tap a hole through the side and use a screw to lock it into the up position. They are sturdy as they come, the screw just adds an extra measure of confidence that it isn't going to move. It also uses standard A2  front sight posts. I position the YHM sight right behind the comp and use 15.5" hand guards on my rifles. I have three with 20" barrels (my preference) and one 18". The 18 is a JP CTR-02 light contour. It works well and is an 18 only because John doesn't like building 20" light contour barrels

Hurley

Thanks Hurley, modifying a flip up type didn't occur to me. Would it be possible/would you mind posting pictures of your builds and maybe one of just a front sight? I think I am going to turn down a 20in to a light profile for starters, and then if I don't like it I can always cut it down, re-thread, and enlarge the gas port.

The Middle rifle in the first photo is a JP CTR-02 18" light contour with a Yankee Hill Machine front sight. The bottom rifle is an Armalite AR10 20", JP 15.5" handguard and Armalite front sight. Second photo is of an AR10, 20" with JP handguard and Yankee Hill Machine front sight. If you zoom in, you can see the screw that I installed on the YHM front sights just below where the folding post meets the base.

Hurley

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

20 hours ago, HRider said:

The Middle rifle in the first photo is a JP CTR-02 18" light contour with a Yankee Hill Machine front sight. The bottom rifle is an Armalite AR10 20", JP 15.5" handguard and Armalite front sight. Second photo is of an AR10, 20" with JP handguard and Yankee Hill Machine front sight. If you zoom in, you can see the screw that I installed on the YHM front sights just below where the folding post meets the base.

Hurley

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

A photo of the front sight on the JP.

Hurley

JP CTR-02 front sight.JPG

Criterion makes a great 20" medium contour barrel. Yes the extra 2" of sight radius really helps. Don't go cheap on the front sight, get the J.P. and don't look back. The Yankee Hill sight works OK, but is real prone to snagging on stuff. The longer the sight radius  the better, EVERY TIME! Don't worry about the weight after all it will still weigh much less than anything with those funny tubes with glass in them that folks seem to think they need to hit something.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 2Xalpha said:

I suggest merging this thread with the pinned thread about rifle iron sights so we can keep all the good information in one thread:

Iron Sights for IPSC Rifle/ USPSA & 3Gun Heavy Metal Limited

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/214038-iron-sights-for-ipsc-rifle-uspsa-3gun-heavy-metal-limited/

Mods, I think this is a very good suggestion, would you mind merging the two threads? Thanks.

Also, just for an update, Armalite had responded to me about their clamp on front sights:

" Unfortunately we don’t have any remaining but we’re looking at having these brought back in 2019 please watch our website for the release date. "

Hope that helps too.

1 hour ago, Eagle4 said:

I haven't ever shot any IPSC rifle, only 3 gun; so how durable are globe types? They will definitely get banged around and battered pretty good. 

Edited by Midwest3Gunner
Too many commas.