Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf .223 Ammo Making Minor?

Tokarev

I spoke with Bill Filbert at WOLF yesterday about WOLF's .223 ammo being a little on the light side. He said they're already aware of this complaint and are moving to correct it. The first batches of hotter 55-grain ammo should be on the market shortly. The 62-grain ammo will follow shortly.

WOLF's really making an effort to improve its product and respond to complaints from the users.

I spoke with Bill Filbert at WOLF yesterday about WOLF's .223 ammo being a little on the light side.  He said they're already aware of this complaint and are moving to correct it.  The first batches of hotter 55-grain ammo should be on the market shortly.  The 62-grain ammo will follow shortly.

WOLF's really making an effort to improve its product and respond to complaints from the users.

That is good news. I like the Wolf .223 for plinking and short range stages, but it will occasionally short stroke my 17" upper (full length gas system) because their underloaded.

How would a buyer tell it's the new and improved hotter ammo?

• 1 month later...

Laquered? I have not seen laquered Wolf in years!

All the new stuff has a grep Polymer coat, not the old laquer. The new grey colored Polymer runs 100% in my ARs and is very soft shooting. For shots under 100 meters, it is the best ammo I have found for the price (I use the 62 grn JHP). Beyond 100, it is not as accurate as some brands.

Yes, it is laquered, and I have 500 rounds of it.

I also only use it for shots under 100 yards and then not at anything that requires under 4moa. It is soft shooting and works great for those house clearing/hoser stages.

So does it make minor? How about the poly coat stuff, will it make minor in a 20" gun?

The polycoated ammo with the 62gr bullet make 162PF in my 16" gun. So it guess it makes Minor .. with my chrono, but I wouldnt want to bet an entry fee on it. Maybe with the newer loadings the margin will climb into the comfort zone.

Ok now I have to go re-chrono stuff. For some reason my brain thought that the power factor was 160 and the Wolf was 2 over that. Now I'm no longer sure if Wolf made 162, or it made 152. Grrr.. Will report back I guess.

Ok, I've re-chronoed the Wolf 62gr ammo through my 16" gun. The average was 160pf with the slowest shot at 157pf. 30 shots spread themselves between 157-162. This results are with my chrono in 75 degree weather, close to sea level.

So I guess it makes minor just fine with a decent margin. My guess is that if it made 165-170 it would be even better.

On a side note, I can report that wolf ammo doesnt tumble when it hits a target, or at least not very fast. I know this because I put 2 holes in my chrono housing. They are just flesh wounds and the chrono works fine.