Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintenance schedule for a Glock

ArrDave

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

How is this? 15K rounds on one of my G22's.... Still not ready for cleaning. You can't trust a clean Glock... And only 7 recoil spring assemblies in over 270K rounds on one of my G17's

dirt Glock.jpg

I covet your ammunition budget!!

How is this? 15K rounds on one of my G22's.... Still not ready for cleaning. You can't trust a clean Glock... And only 7 recoil spring assemblies in over 270K rounds on one of my G17's
397551585_dirtGlock.thumb.jpg.6bff582f8d786fd1696517c037912c5a.jpg

270K is impressive. Have you replaced anything other than the RSA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the 270K was either sponsored for powder, primers and bullets. I get free once fired brass. So not so much $$$ out the door.  

I have only replaced 7 RSA's in that 270K time frame, and one extractor, couple of trigger springs. They last along time, maybe I won't make 500K at my age....

• 2 weeks later...

Maintenance.............Glock.........Whaaaaaaat???????

I shoot mine and throw it back in the range bag. Cheap enough to buy another to also keep in the range bag incase something dies(but it never does). Don't trust it anymore? Sell it off and pick up a fresh one. They can be found on any street corner like used cars. Glocks make life easy. I sold all my other guns.

Ok I admit to rotating the herd to visiting the armorer at GSSF matches. Might as well have fun with your toys. One of my police trade in 22's was shooting perfectly. Guy replaces everything short of the barrel, slide and frame. What a difference it makes to replace springs. All my guns are stock except sights and -connector. Short version 5k rounds and I let the armorer decide.

YMMV

Major match this weekend so I did a detail clean last night. Looked at the springs and thought about it, then just put it all back together. I probably have 15k round on my current spring set up. 

Reduced FP safety

4.5# striker

Factory trigger return

14# Recoil spring. 

I can honestly remember 1 light strike in all those round. Since there were no others I'm actually assuming that it was some sore of primer defect. I do carry a kit of replacement springs in the range bag in case it ever goes down in a match. If not, I'll probably run it until something breaks or performance degrades. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, MPF said:

I don't think I've ever replaced anything on a Glock out of necessity...Probably  means I should shoot more, or keep them longer, or both.

Same here and there is nothing wrong with Preventative Maintenance.

Just keep some extra springs with you in case anything breaks. The only spring that could benefit from routine change is a lightened striker spring, you’ll know it’s time to change if you start getting light strikes. Otherwise if everything is running just leave it alone.