Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintenance schedule for a Glock

ArrDave

So I picked up the platform coming from CZ back in May.  I'm getting past 5k rounds and I'm starting to realize I have no idea the change interval is. 

I'm going to throw out my guesses on round count when things should change and you tell me

I'm not a big trigger guy so I don't really care what the trigger weight is - I've been running a stock set up for the first 5k rounds but recently changed to a 14# recoil spring - which I like the ejection better on - which suggested to me using a 4.5# striker spring.  So keeping all that in mind this is what I'm thinking - what would you do?

Striker Spring - 5k 

Recoil Spring - 10k

Trigger Spring - 10k

Striker assembly - 20k

Extractor - 20k

Trigger bar / housing - 40k

Am I at all barking up the right tree?

Not trying to be funny or annoying, but I just run my Glocks until something breaks. Most of the guys I shoot with do the same thing. Worst case scenario is the gun goes down during a match, you lose the one stage and just borrow a buddy’s gun to finish up. I just switched to Carry Optics, and because there’s less of a chance there’d be another in my squad, I started carrying a second 34 MOS, not because the gun might breakdown, but because the dot might!

Unless you are running federal primers, I would leave the striker spring stock. I tried lighter springs and even with the Jager striker, I had light strikes. As far as the other springs go, change the recoil every 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Unless you are running federal primers, I would leave the striker spring stock. I tried lighter springs and even with the Jager striker, I had light strikes. As far as the other springs go, change the recoil every 10k.

Can I run the OEM striker spring weight with reduced power recoil springs?

5 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Yes, I run a 13lb recoil with stock striker springs. No issue at all in over 5k rounds (probably closer to 10k)

fantastic - I didn't want to change the striker spring but read that I needed to to balance the gun.

31 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

I challenge you to not clean your Glock and not change your springs until something goes wrong.

The result may surprise you and frankly will "set your soul free".  

I have the "not cleaning" bit down. 

Lightweight striker springs need changing often IME.

No sure on aftermarket recoil springs, only about 7-8k on my 11lb. Rate worked fine in two 17s with stock striker spring FWIW, one still is stock.

The rest of the stuff is approaching 20k and seems to be working fine. Just watch for abnormal wear, I had to fix some early on.

I totally disagree with the poster above and think installing a reduced power striker spring is imperative.  I think a Wolff 4.5 pound spring will ignite almost everything and a 4 pound spring will ignite Federal and Winchester primers for a decade of competitive shooting.  You can get too light of a striker spring with some brands but I use either the TTI kit now or Wolff.  Make sure you test and changes prior to a match.

I you are shooting lighter loads you can lighten the recoil spring to 13 pounds or so.  I used the stock spring forever it just causes a little more nose dive.

I broke one extractor on a G17 purchased used and wore a MIM Gen 3 extractor out (I think).  I change recoil springs periodically and carry  a spare striker spring with me.  I have only ever replaced other shooters striker springs during a match.

I think your barking up the wrong tree on the other items.

30 minutes ago, 12glocks said:

I totally disagree with the poster above and think installing a reduced power striker spring is imperative. 

What makes this imperative? Lighter trigger pull? Reliability? Something else?

I haven't found any issue running the stock striker spring with a lighter recoil spring. Plus, the stock weight striker spring should last longer

1 minute ago, TrackCage said:

What makes this imperative? Lighter trigger pull? Reliability? Something else?

I haven't found any issue running the stock striker spring with a lighter recoil spring. Plus, the stock weight striker spring should last longer

It has the biggest effect on lightening the trigger pull weight.  I think the connector is the other big factor.

I totally disagree with the poster above and think installing a reduced power striker spring is imperative.  I think a Wolff 4.5 pound spring will ignite almost everything and a 4 pound spring will ignite Federal and Winchester primers for a decade of competitive shooting.  You can get too light of a striker spring with some brands but I use either the TTI kit now or Wolff.  Make sure you test and changes prior to a match.

I might have to try out the TTI kit. I load with Winchester primers but had problems with the 4lb and 4.5lb Wolff springs. Maybe I got weak springs or bad primers. How often are you changing your striker springs?

Wait, what?  There's a maintenance schedule on a Glock?

All kidding aside, the only thing I've ever broken on a Glock is a trigger return spring.  That includes a couple of Gen 2 pistols.  Clean or dirty they just seem to run.

8 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I might have to try out the TTI kit. I load with Winchester primers but had problems with the 4lb and 4.5lb Wolff springs. Maybe I got weak springs or bad primers. How often are you changing your striker springs?

I have changed two striker springs in 15 years (to be fair I took an 8 year break when my kids were born).  I have always 100% ignited Winchester primers with a Wolff 4# spring though I primarily load Federal.  I have a number of friends doing this as well.  Is your striker stock?  I just got a Gen 5 34 and did my usual mods:  Dawson sights, TTI grandmaster trigger package, Jager SS guide Rod with IMSI 13# spring, polish internals and thats it.  I change the recoil spring when it gets sluggish going into battery, thats it.  I have loaded coated bullets that were a little fat and did not quite fully seat in the chamber with a subsequent light hit on the primer also.  Hope this helps!

If it's a Gen 4 or earlier, I would suggest changing the slide lock spring periodically.  I install a new one in my Gen 3 guns when I replace the RSA between 3k-5k rounds.  It's not a part that breaks terribly often, but when it does, your slide will fly forward onto the ground and you may have trouble removing the broken bit still in the frame.  I've mostly heard of this happening in G19s, but it's cheap insurance and they are easy to install.  I replace all other springs around 10k rounds.

I pretty much shoot them till they break. Broke a trigger spring at 7k on one. They say change the RSA at 5k, I’ve gone way longer then that. If you go to a light striker spring then it’s probably the one thing that needs to be changed on a schedule, or you’ll start getting light strikes even with federal primers. Johnny Glock suggests every 2-3k, although  I’ve gone like 7-8k with, but only with federal primers. But if you’re using a stock Striker spring it will go along fine. 

Your schedule looks good though. I don’t have any glocks with close to 40k, so I have no idea if the trigger bar and housing need to be replaced at 40k. Probably not a bad idea, good thing about Glock parts is there cheap.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, ArrDave said:

Can I run the OEM striker spring weight with reduced power recoil springs?

I have ran the oem striker spring with a 13 lb recoil spring with no issues. If I use a 4.5 lb striker spring, I will run a 11 lb recoil spring. 

With both setups, the recoil spring gets changed often, every 5-6k rounds or so. 

I use a light stiker spring, lightened striker and 13# recoil spring.  I just adjust the recoil spring to loads, with 13# being uspsa (go lighter for SC when using those loads).  Then if the gun feels like it's pounding me harder than normal or the ejections start getting weird then I'll change it.

For the other springs, I keep spares on hand.  Even a complete striker assembled with a slightly heavier spring and a stock unit.

If you're paranoid try setting up for the new season and go the whole season with what it has.  Unless you're really pushing it it's doubtful that most of us actually shoot more than 5k a year.

Even though we'd like to!

You can see a heavy/stock striker spring and a light recoil spring pull the slide back when you pull the trigger.  13# recoil springs work even with stock though.

I'd say, have all of those things in your range bag and change out as problems arise.

The striker and striker spring have no relationship to the RSA in a glock, so change those without worry of effecting the other.

Now the striker, striker spring, trigger bar, connector, drop safety plunger, drop safety spring, frame and trigger, all have a symbiotic relationship that ideally results in a trigger that is light, crisp, safe, and totally reliable. If desired, you can look into those relationships more, or as I recommend, buy a Competition kits from Johnny Glock. 2.5 lbs trigger pull, totally functional with any primers I've used.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:06 PM, Sniperboy said:

I challenge you to not clean your Glock and not change your springs until something goes wrong.

The result may surprise you and frankly will "set your soul free".  

How is this? 15K rounds on one of my G22's.... Still not ready for cleaning. You can't trust a clean Glock... And only 7 recoil spring assemblies in over 270K rounds on one of my G17's

dirt Glock.jpg