Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USSL/UPL

OPENB

I just got back from a trip to the St. George, Utah area. While my wife played volleyball in the Huntsman Games, I drove back to Vegas and shot a match at the Pro Gun Club. I was looking for a USPSA match for that weekend, but there were none to be found. A member here suggested I try a United Shooting Sports League match. USSL encompasses multigun, steel, and pistol matches. The pistol matches are called United Pistol League matches, and use the same divisions as USPSA, but use a proprietary target with scoring hexagons A-C-D, and are scored like IDPA, time plus. +.25 seconds for a C, +.75 seconds for a D. I'm sure there are more differences, but I was told they are more on the admin side than on the shooting side. I shot my carry optics gun. I thought the stages were very "USPSA like" but forced accuracy to avoid added time. Things I didn't care for was a popper that had to be driven down with multiple "sweet spot" hits. Evidently that is OK. Also, the entire A zone could be hidden by hard cover or no-shoots, making 0-down times impossible.

Anyone else try this game and what did you think?

• 4 months later...

I live here in Vegas and  Love USSL. Granted I’m very new but it makes much more sense than uspsa rules wise and covers anything you want to shoot. Of course the same group also host uspsa matches as well as two other clubs in town and there’s a bi monthly steel match. 

i really will miss it when I move in March to Cheyenne.

• 6 months later...

I'm an active participant in USSL since moving to the Vegas area last year. I like the United Pistol League (UPL) shooting format for two reasons: 1) UPL provides no advantage for major loads - so 9 minor is competitive in Limited and 2) USSL/UPL does not use classifier stages to achieve shooter qualifications as USPSA does. UPL quals are based on how a shooter finishes in the overall match; qualification is based on an average of most recent match scores. The USPSA classifier system certainly measures skill, but isn't necessarily representative of how well a shooter plans, moves and shoots stage by stage. Maybe I try to hard at USPSA classifiers driven by the intent of moving up and that usually results in a mediocre stage and damages my overall match score. Unlike some of the more highly ranked guys I've squaded with... I don't set up and practice specific qualifiers; I show up to matches and shoot'um as the stage description requires - just like any other stage. So for me, UPL doesn't give me "classifier anxiety".

• 2 years later...