Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

replacing 550c?

Hi everyone, so I have been reloading on my 550 for 6 moths now and I plan on shooting more matches this year. Currently I go through about 1000 rnds a month but iam looking at doing more training and will be shooting 2-3k more every few months. So i like the 550 as it was a great starter press (9mm major) only for now, But i think upgrading to an 650 is line for me. My question is do a sell the 550 or keep it and buy an 650. I was told that the 550 will make more accurate ammo vs the 650 as fewer moving parts.

just would like to hear some options of making the 550 better or just sell it and get a 650. Going to a gun show this weekend so hopefully i can find a good deal.    

If you're loading a single caliber, you don't need two presses - both are "accurate".

If you're going to be reloading 3,000 rounds/month (100/day), you might want to

keep the 550 for small or large primers, set up for a 2nd caliber.

If funds are tight, I'd sell the 550 to fund the 650    :) 

I was in a very similar situation.  After setting up the 650 I wondered why I didn't upgrade sooner.  As good as the 550 is, the case fed 650 is even better.  I also struggled with what to do with the 550.  I ended up selling it to a buddy of mine (for way less than 80% of new).  No regrets at all.  The 650 does everything I need.  As far as the 550 making better ammo, I don't buy it.  In my experience the ammo coming off the 650 is no better or worse that what I got with the 550.  It just comes off the press a whole lot faster.

16 minutes ago, Glock021 said:

As good as the 550 is, the case fed 650 is even better

Agreed

There is nothing wrong with a 550, the 650 is a step up in a big way with the auto-index and case feeder.

Honestly take the plunge to the 1050.  It comes with the casefeeder and makes it extremely easy to make a ton of rounds.  That way when you decide to shoot even more rounds per month you'll already be set up.  Find a used one if funds are tight but yeah take it from someone who upgraded from a 550B to a 1050.  DO IT!  It is awesome!

I mean. I happen to know a guy who has a 650 in the classifieds right now. ;) 

My experience on a 500 has been that it’s horiffically slow. I bought my 650 new and learned to load on it. It’s my baseline. Going over to a friend’s house and messing around with his 550? Not a fan at all.

If you’re loading 500+ rounds in a sitting, 650 or better is the only way to go.

I've loaded over 20k rounds this year on a 550B. It is definitely slower than a 650/1050 but it depends on how long you load in one session. I typically load a few hundred rounds here and there, never more than 500 in one sitting. For that, I don't really see the issue. If I were loading thousands at a time I would likely feel much differently.

Full disclosure, I am still considering a 650 with case and bullet feeders. It has more to do with my personal situation (recent child birth) than the fact that the 550 doesn't do what I need it to do. Less time in the garage equals more time with the little one. 

With primer tubes full, and everything dialed in, I can easily load 200 rounds in 23-25 minutes on my 550C. 

And 300 or so is about as many as I'll load in one sitting.  More than that, and either my mind starts to wander or a joint somewhere is hurting.  If I could load 400-600 rounds in the same time, I'd seriously consider a 650 with bullet and case feeders.

I'd love to try an automated 1050, but I just don't shoot enough to justify the cost.

Thanks for all the help, Yes the 550 is a good press and I did buy it used at a very good price. When I got the 550 I was just switching to Open from lmd and was new to reloading. I work 5-6 days a week as a paramedic and my time is limited, so i hate spending hrs reloading for matches. So is putting an case feeder on a 550 not even worth it then. Dont see too many out there.  I also need to take a day and break the press down and do some general maintenance.  Primers shuttle is getting tuck on down stroke and slowing me down.  

On 10/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, V2plus25 said:

Honestly take the plunge to the 1050.  It comes with the casefeeder and makes it extremely easy to make a ton of rounds.  That way when you decide to shoot even more rounds per month you'll already be set up.  Find a used one if funds are tight but yeah take it from someone who upgraded from a 550B to a 1050.  DO IT!  It is awesome!

When I looked at pricing I could not justify getting a 650 & then adding a case feeder, a 1050 was just not that much more. Both are great but it is in my will to be buried with my 1050, just in case. 

It is worth selling a gun to get a Mr. Bullet feeder. When I load now my left hand is on the case feeder stabilizing both me and the press, my eye is on the powder charge in the case under the bullet dropper, the only thing that moves is my right arm and I'm focused on just a smooth and machine consistency like stroke. 

First let me say that I had a 450 that I bought back in the 80s during my first foray into combat shooting, and it is now upgraded to a 550. I load for both my son and I on this press and its not a huge a production monster but it gets the job the done AND the 550 his way faster than the 450. So if you decide to go for a bigger press think about keeping the 550 just for other calibers.

Edited by Pc70

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Maybe I missed something, but what are you going to load your pistol ammo on after

you sell the 650 and are using the 550 for rifle ?

Y'all do know that you can do caliber changes on these presses... they don't *have* to be dedicated to one cartridge forever and ever ?

Just funnin' ya!  I think he said he got an Revolution after the 1050... and never mentioned selling that one!

I have both a 550B and a 650 with a casefeeder and bullet feeder.  The 550 is set up for large primers, 650 for small.  After loading on the 650, going back to the 550 is painful.  It is more than just the speed difference.