Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Dryers

Sarge

On 10/30/2018 at 11:15 PM, Want2BS8ed said:

I bought an inexpensive round one off Amazon 5-years ago and was able to purchase an additional 6 trays for the mega stack.

A short length of PVC makes loading trays faster. I usually do this on a chest freezer so excess water isn't a problem, but set a tray down, stick a piece of PVC upright in the center hole. Dump your brass in. Place another tray on top. Dump brass in and repeat.

The PVC keeps brass from falling through the center hole so you can load trays faster. Doing it off the base keeps excess water from accumulating and extending the drying time as well.

Just remove the PVC and place the loaded stack on the base.

FWIW, depending on your brass size, you can assume 4 to 5 trays to comfortably handle a load from a Thumler's Tumbler.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not getting this pvc pipe thing on the trays, can you post a pic?

1 hour ago, slavex said:

I am not getting this pvc pipe thing on the trays, can you post a pic?

Found a piece of scrap PVC last night. I put one tray on the base and inserted the PVC then poured brass onto the tray. The PVC keeps brass from falling into the center hole. Then just keep stacking and pouring. Remove PVC and put the top on.

12 hours ago, Greg Thomas said:

Hey Sarge, how much brass does a load of your brass weigh? I came across a company that has 3 sizes of brass separators and dryers built into 1 machine there not cheap but it sure a great time saver.

Check out sgcbrass.com

yikes! Way too much for what I need. I fill the fart up about 2/3 with brass and the FA sorter holds about half of it, but the dryer holds the full load.

IMG_0854.jpg.f37280124339c1c2832ce01d60136884.jpg

Thanks Sarge and sorry Slavex for not getting a picture up for you sooner. Been sicker than a dog...

One suggestion, if you can try to load the trays off the base if your brass is really wet. Keeps water from pooling and speeds up the drying process.

...now I'm going to go back and crawl under my rock...

M

Newbie loader here so forgive my ignorance but how dry does the brass need to be? I ask because I’ve been cleaning brass in prep to load my first ever test loads for my first ever reloads. I have about 10k of 9mm brass I’ve saved this year from factory ammo purchases that my wife and I shot during the year. I’ve been wet tumbling with SS. After washing I dump each load (about 500 cases) on a towel and just pat dry. Then they sit in a clean 5 gallon bucket waiting to be resized. I’m planning on reloading in 1k batches after I de-prime, clean, and resize all 10k. So the previously washed and pat dried cases will have been further “air drying” another week or so. The first few thousand I’ve cleaned are all currently “dry to the touch” inside and out and have been sitting for a few days already. Is “dry to the touch” dry enough or is actually necessary to bake them in the oven or a food dehydrator? Is that step only needed when your loading them immediately after cleaning them?

you may encounter a problem decapping if they sit for too long after wet tumbling them. The primers can corrode and stick, resulting in either pull backs or ringers. It's best to dry them in an oven, in hot sun, or in a dehydrator. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 12:49 PM, SnowinOnRaton said:

I decap before I tumble so no worries there. I’m doing everything on a single stage press at the moment. Can’t wait until my Evolution gets here! :) I just wanted to make sure not drying in the oven or dehydrator wouldn’t cause clumping or some other issue.

Honestly, pouring them in a bucket for storage would worry me if I didn’t take some step to dry them. Dry is dry, but I have let brass lay out in my garage that left my hands feeling slightly damp after handling. If conditions are not dry and warm with low humidity they may retain moisture in the bottom of a bucket

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wet tumbling for the past couple years and what I found that worked best was a food dehydrator.  I bought a couple that has 4 stackable trays that allow you to load up a decent amount of brass.  I tried drying in the sun, using a heat gun and even putting them in the oven.  The dehydrator is just simply easier and more effective.   Wet tumbling is definitely more labor intensive than dry tumbling but man it produces a nice looking piece of brass!!

• 2 months later...

Greetings Gents ... tried several “dryers” myself and migrated back to the old fashion clothes dryer shoe rack method .. I set the dryer on low for 15’ and poor the brass on an old cookie sheet and voila .. just get ready for some remarks from the boss-lady [emoji3061][emoji6]

I have stopped using hear dry all together.  I put the brass in my RCBS media separator and fling off as much water as I can, then I dump them on a heavy bath towel and roll them around, which takes all of the water off of the outside, then I set a 20" box fan at one end of the towel and blow air over them for several hours.   The brass gets completely dry and doesnt get a burned look to it. 

I decap before I went tumble, but I have had a couple that for whatever reason squeaked by and got tumbled with the primer still in. In my normal drying session of 2 hours with a very full FA dryer like that pictured above, the ones with the primers on there still had some moisture.

Maybe if you dried them longer without packing them so dense you could get them dry...but I think because it basically closes off that space it may be hard to dry.