Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty or loaded mags during dryfire?

tdp88

Back when I used to practice, I used loaded mags. For the longest time I was practicing static reloads. I finally took my practice outside and started practicing doing the reloads within the first step when moving. I need to get back to practicing because I have seen a tremendous drop in reload performance 

I use loaded mags

ive been doing this long enough to have a couple mags that I’ve just flat worn out, those stay loaded all year round with dummy ammo

i used to use empty mags with 1dummy round, but the balance and feel was different and the amount of force needed to seat a empty mag verses a loaded one is drastically different 

After removing spring and follower, I loaded an old mag with dummy rounds (no powder or primer) and topped each round with adhesive. They are all stuck together and don't rattle around. Painted it orange for safety reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I made dummy rounds with nickel plated cases with no primers or powder. I can tell right away that they are the dummy rounds. They are kept with the factory dummy rounds that also have nickel cases, that I use as the last round in the mag because they have a orange tip.  

I use nickel cases and brass-colored FMJ bullets for dummies. Shoot regular brass cases and Blue Bullets for live ammo. It does get slightly confusing for my carry guns because all of my self defense ammo has nickel cases, but I double check everything when loading back up. Not super worried about poking holes in the wall but way more worried about trying to shoot a scumbag with a dummy round lol

When I first started out I used empty mags and felt good with my reloads. During matches not so much. I started dry firing with loaded mags to capacity (depending on division I'm shooting) by loading up dummy rounds with no powder or  primers that I keep in a separate container. I think it makes a big difference. 

I use old beat up STI mags with the same base pads as my match mags. 
I took the follower off the spring, dropped the follower in the tube then loaded dummy rounds behind the follower. 
Stuffed newspaper after the mags to fill the gap, then put base pad back on.  

I think I had to beat on the top of the mag a bit to keep the follower from coming out the top.  

I place one round in the mag, remove basepad, Layer projectiles and hot glue until full. Clip spring as needed as there is no room for compression at this point. At this point the mag a little over 150% of its normal weight when fully loaded. Kinda like swinging a bat with a weight.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, tdp88 said:

I have always just topped off a mag with one dummy round to dry fire reloads and no mag on draws. Yesterday for some reason I loaded up a mag with dummy rounds and I had a lot more trouble with reloads, I guess from the extra weight. I’m gonna leave the mag loaded for a few weeks of practice and see if it was a fluke session or if it matters. What do you guys do with mags during dryfire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made enough dummy rounds for two mags in order to practice reloads. I put RTV in the primer pockets so the firing pin would have something on which to land. I also used a black magic marker on the headstamps to also differentiate between loaded ammo.  Just some thoughts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer weighted mags with dummies. It make the practice more real feeling and easier as the top round on this simulated full mag keeps the feed lips from catching on the mag opening as often. 

That being said I also practice on empty mags because it is more difficult. The follower gets pressed down when I’m off and the lips catch. Practicing with empty mags forces me to be cleaner.