Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty or loaded mags during dryfire?

tdp88

I have always just topped off a mag with one dummy round to dry fire reloads and no mag on draws. Yesterday for some reason I loaded up a mag with dummy rounds and I had a lot more trouble with reloads, I guess from the extra weight. I’m gonna leave the mag loaded for a few weeks of practice and see if it was a fluke session or if it matters. What do you guys do with mags during dryfire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Load one mag with dummy rounds.

Drop empty mag, reload with loaded mag, put loaded mag back on belt & another empty mag in gun. 

A little less stress on the mags & a little less hassle and when I drop mags they are normally near empty so possibly more realistic. 

Make sure that I check clear after dry firing with empties. A match dq involving a dummy round left in chamber would really really suck. 

When I started shooting limited, I used a mag with dummy rounds until I learned how much pressure is involved with making the reload to a fully loaded mag. I haven't used them in years and I don't seem to have any issue with my reloads.

`

3 hours ago, tdp88 said:

Do y’all have dedicated dry fire mags that you leave loaded all the time?

Now that I'm  shooting 100% PCC, the Glock mags are not that expensive (compared to SVI's) so I have several mags with dummy rounds for dryfire.  I have a bent piece of Kydex in the mag that stops the top bullet in the mag from advancing so I can practice unloaded starts without running a round into the chamber.

A friend of mine gave me some old STI mags that were no longer reliable to use. I ordered the Blue Bullets sample pack of 250 bullets and made dummy rounds  with those so I wouldn't ever confuse them with my regular rounds (red, gold or green) and filled the mags with those. I practice with those for reloads etc..

17 hours ago, tanks said:

A friend of mine gave me some old STI mags that were no longer reliable to use. I ordered the Blue Bullets sample pack of 250 bullets and made dummy rounds  with those so I wouldn't ever confuse them with my regular rounds (red, gold or green) and filled the mags with those. I practice with those for reloads etc..

Wise man.

Go to rackbuddy.biz and check out the video.

You load dummy rounds and put a rack buddy on top. This allows you to rack the slide and not put a round in the chamber. They are flourescent orange.

Do y’all have dedicated dry fire mags that you leave loaded all the time?

Yes. I have 3 mags that don’t function perfectly so I keep them loaded with dummy rounds for dry fire..

I'm a Stoeger follower and he recommends weighted mags so I do it. I have to say I noticed the difference and can definitely tell when I grab a "light" one now. 

Being a Glock guy cheap mags are easy to find. I bought some pmags on sale and leave them loaded with dummy rounds. The only issue I have is that after a few hundred drops on the garage floor the mags and rounds are beat up enough that I'm popping bullets out left and right. I tried a bit of packing tape wrapped over the top and when that didn't last super glue which didn't work either. My next thought is JB Weld for the top round unless anyone else has a better idea. (no. I don't plan on ever using these for anything by dry fire) 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:41 PM, Kixx said:

Full mags with dummy rounds for me. The weight difference is pretty substantial. I also color the brass of my  dummy rounds with red sharpie so they’re very identifiable as dummies.

Same here.

I use a Sharpie to make is abundantly clear which rounds are the dummies.

I use purple to make it very obvious.

I use a weighted blue training magazine.  Feel and weight are the same and no need to worry about dummy rounds. 

https://www.amazon.com/Rings-Blue-Training-Weighted-Magazine/dp/B007RJSYPA

I also have an unweighted one to represent a empty mag. 

This also allows me to use a chamber block so I know it is unloaded and there is no way to chamber a round.  Dummy or loaded.