Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 OAL Issues

mont1120

I am having a heck of a time getting some bullet profiles to fit in my SP-01 barrel, and wondered if I am doing something wrong. Normally I shoot either MG FP or Blue Bullets 147 grain rounds, and the Blues have to be much shorter, 1.36 for the MG, and 1.08 for the Blue. Both rounds run flawlessly, and have no issues.

When I sort brass, I take out the GFL, Aguilar, IMI, and others because the 147's cause a bulge that keeps them from passing the gauge. To make use of a lot of brass, I use 124 grain bullets and use the rounds in steel, 3 gun, and practice. But now I am running into 124's of certain types ending up too long (MG 124 HP), and after sizing them down far enough to pass the drop test in the barrel, the bulge is back, leaving me with junk rounds. I can use 115 grain in the future to pass everything, but am I looking at a too short of throat in my barrel?

Just now, mont1120 said:

I am having a heck of a time getting some bullet profiles to fit in my SP-01 barrel, and wondered if I am doing something wrong. Normally I shoot either MG FP or Blue Bullets 147 grain rounds, and the Blues have to be much shorter, 1.36 for the MG, and 1.08 for the Blue. Both rounds run flawlessly, and have no issues.

When I sort brass, I take out the GFL, Aguilar, IMI, and others because the 147's cause a bulge that keeps them from passing the gauge. To make use of a lot of brass, I use 124 grain bullets and use the rounds in steel, 3 gun, and practice. But now I am running into 124's of certain types ending up too long (MG 124 HP), and after sizing them down far enough to pass the drop test in the barrel, the bulge is back, leaving me with junk rounds. I can use 115 grain in the future to pass everything, but am I looking at a too short of throat in my barrel?

CZ’s have notoriously short throats. Most get them reamed to accept normal length ammo.

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

CZ’s have notoriously short throats. Most get them reamed to accept normal length ammo.

Which is a lot faster & cheaper lower hassle than it might sound like if someone has not gone that route. Patriot Defense did a Tanfo for me for $25.00 plus shipping with very quick turn around, not sure who all does CZ's but seems like I've read there are several good places to send a barrel. Have not read where anyone had any reliability or accuracy regrets after getting the work done. 

That said, I never reamed any of my CZ's. Just used a bullet with a more CZ friendly profile (Ogive if you are French), SNS 147 flat points at 1.15 oal worked well for me, loading that particular bullet shorter created issues with the occasional ftf. 

I have loaded many different bullets for SP01 guns down to 1.080" length and 1.100" being a very common overall length for me with a lot of bullets.

Reaming is always a nice and inexpensive option if you are married to a certain bullet and profile. It's also nice then if you have other 9mm guns you end up with less of a gun specific load for your ammo, being able to load and shoot it out of other guns more readily.

1 hour ago, mont1120 said:

1.  I shoot MG FP 147 grain @  1.36"  OAL 

2.  124's end up too long and after sizing them down to pass The Plunk Test, the  bulge is back, leaving me with junk rounds. 

Sarge and Gas have confirmed your worst fear - your throat is too short.   Fortunately, there is a very easy cure    :)

But, two other thoughts for you:

1.   I'm guessing that's 1.136" OAL ?

2.   A bulge might NOT cause junk rounds - it's very possible that they will still feed 100% in your gun - you might just

run The Plunk Test with a "bulged" round and see if it works.

BUT, Sarge and Gas are correct - very simple to lengthen the throat.    :) 

I have been using Everglades 147gr rn in my CZ loaded to 1.135 and they all pass the plunk test, when I tried the BBI 147’s I had to load them at 1.100 to pass the plunk test and my gun did not like that short of a round. I have just settled on using plated 147’s. The Xtremes, Berry’s and Everglades all worked for me at 1.135. I didn’t want to get the barrel reamed since I know plated rn’s work at 1.135 for me. I’ve had the bulge issue as well a few times and while they may not pass the hundo gauge they have always fit the Dillon gauge and have had zero issue using them.

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sarge and Gas have confirmed your worst fear - your throat is too short.   Fortunately, there is a very easy cure    :)

But, two other thoughts for you:

1.   I'm guessing that's 1.136" OAL ?

2.   A bulge might NOT cause junk rounds - it's very possible that they will still feed 100% in your gun - you might just

run The Plunk Test with a "bulged" round and see if it works.

BUT, Sarge and Gas are correct - very simple to lengthen the throat.    :) 

Yes, 1.136

Thank you for the replies, I will be getting it throated after the last 2 matches here before the snow blocks the doors..........I really am beginning to hate winter. The older I get the worse the ol bones feel when it is 20 below.

I lived in Tampa back in the 80's and it sure did get cold. It went below freezing and as I remember it, the day was on a Christmas and there were rolling blackouts due to heater use. Lived in Orlando also, could not get used to the heat, humidity, and snowbirds.

Went back for training to Daytona a few years back, and I was swimming in the ocean and the locals were running around with parkas on. They thought I was insane. Montana bucks ya up for the next ice age.

If you have had your barrel throated longer, who do you suggest. Our gunsmiths up here are good at looking at a firearms and saying "Yep, that's broke" so I want to send it to someone trustworthy.

Patriot Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/18/2018 at 7:39 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

True dat.

Florida is NOT for timid people.     ?️

And, sink holes are even worse.     ☠️

(Sorry, no emoji for a sinkhole).

BUT, it doesn't get cold    :) 

Cold is relative to where in Florida. I have seen it in the low teens in north central Florida...and single digits in north Florida. 

Jack, it doesn't get cold where you are because you are in the arm pit of Florida.