Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean powder at low velocity?

Jess409

So here’s the story. I just purchased a s&w 625 jm 4”. I will be jumping over to ESR division in IDPA (I want more of a challenge). I noticed the PF to make major is 155. While looking at reloading manuals I noticed all the starting loads were in the 740-770 fps. With is well over  my desired vel/PF. I want to be in the 161-165PF/700fps range. So my question is; what powders have you guys used or know of that perform well at lower velocities? I’ve heard certain powders can leave flakes of un burnt powder when not pushed to the higher side of things and velocities can get kind of erratic. The ones I’ve heard recommended are WST, 231, CLAYS and a couple others I can’t remember right know. What do you guys find to work well with those lighter .45acp loads? Thanks.

Thank you for the reply’s. I do have a couple pounds of red dot left, so I might give that a try as well. I will be shooting a 230 gr Berry’s TMJ. I do have allot of Sport Pistol that I use for 9mm minor and 40 major in USPSA. Anyone worked up a load for 45acp using SP?

The one powder I would not use is N310, because it is horribly temp sensitive, and not consistent at anything under max loads.  In fact, users who say it perform great go .4 gr over the max listed load.  Alliant e3 is a non-temp sensitive powder that is extremely consistent and clean at all usable PFs.

For example, my bullseye load makes 145-6PF. with SDs of 5.35 with WLP (731fps) and 4.97 with CCI 300 primers (726fps).  Bullet is 200gr Dardas LSWC over 3.4 gr e3.  The only other powder to give single digit SDs was WST at 160PF.

1 minute ago, Furrly said:

I don't have any issues with N310, it's actually my preferred major PF powder. 

It has been a while since I used it. I'm planing to get some to load .45 to Major. N320 is a little slow there. Around here, it has been the go-to for bullseye style shooters with .38 and .32.

The significance of temperature sensitivity may depend on what kind of temperature variation you get.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Jess409 said:

I will be shooting a 230 gr Berry’s 

For a light load, you might want to try lighter bullets.

Possible that you will prefer the heavier bullets, but I'd give the lighter

ones a try - get a little more velocity which cannot hurt ….   :) 

24 minutes ago, perttime said:

It has been a while since I used it. I'm planing to get some to load .45 to Major. N320 is a little slow there. Around here, it has been the go-to for bullseye style shooters with .38 and .32.

The significance of temperature sensitivity may depend on what kind of temperature variation you get.

It's a great major PF powder, much better then N320 in my opinion 

8 hours ago, Furrly said:

I don't have any issues with N310, it's actually my preferred major PF powder. 

You would not think so if you shot minor loads at 32 degrees.

My bullseye load was 3.8 gr N310 under a 200 gr LSWC.  It made 780 fps @ 80 deg., 767 @ 72, 733 @ 56, 705 @ 41 and would not operate the slide at 32.  The worst of it was I never got single digit SDs.  For major I prefer Solo 1000.

For my L10 and SS .45 loads, WST was my choice until I almost went minor at Nationals a few years back. Dropping from 170ish to 165 on the nose cured me. I went to Clays and really liked it until the formula was moved to Canada, and I had to go to 4.0 grs to make major with MG 230.

Now I have moved to Nitro 100, it is a great powder with much lower recoil then 231 , Clays, or Red Dot. Give a pound a try, I use both Blue Bullets and MG 230 round. If my eyes would have held up, I would still be in SS. Now it is Carry Optics and the speedy 9MM, at least I can hit something now.

When I ran out of 231 went on a search for a good general purpose powder for 9mm minor and .45acp.  Tried several and had great results with Alliant American Select.    Very clean, meters well, low recoil, and is consistantly accurate.  It has become my go to powder for .45 and 9mm minor.  Worth a try if you are expirementing with different powders. 

21 hours ago, zzt said:

You would not think so if you shot minor loads at 32 degrees.

My bullseye load was 3.8 gr N310 under a 200 gr LSWC.  It made 780 fps @ 80 deg., 767 @ 72, 733 @ 56, 705 @ 41 and would not operate the slide at 32.  The worst of it was I never got single digit SDs.  For major I prefer Solo 1000.

You HAVE SOLO 1000?  You lucky dog!.  I've got maybe a pound left which I can't bring myself to use.  Please tell me it's back!

Solo 1000 is not back yet.  I still have about half an 8 lb jug left from an old good batch.  When it disappeared last time I stopped using it for shotshells and hoarded it for 45 major.

If you are looking for a powder to replace Solo 1000, try Alliant American Select.  For shotshells, they are so similar you would not be able to tell them apart.  For 45 they do the same thing.

21 hours ago, zzt said:

Solo 1000 is not back yet.  I still have about half an 8 lb jug left from an old good batch.  When it disappeared last time I stopped using it for shotshells and hoarded it for 45 major.

If you are looking for a powder to replace Solo 1000, try Alliant American Select.  For shotshells, they are so similar you would not be able to tell them apart.  For 45 they do the same thing.

Solo 1000 was good in 9mm.  I wonder how Select would be.  It was about as soft as N320 and clean, but much cheaper.

I

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, zzt said:

It's BACK!!!  I got a midway usa email notice that Solo 1000 was in stock.  I ordered 8 lbs.  Unless this was some sort of computer error, it would appear that it is back in production.  I should know for sure in a week or so.

• 1 month later...

My first choice for 155 pf IDPA revolver loads would be N-310 under a 200gr lead round nose bullet.  My standard 165 pf revolver load(5" barrel)  was 3.8 gr. N-310 under a 230 gr lead or HiTek coated round nose bullet. This load made 170-175 pf and had extreme spreads of 20-30 fps.  I never tested n-310 in 32 degree conditions to see if it was temp sensitive.  

Look at the Vithavouri .45 acp load data here.  You should be able to develop a good load using this info.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=52

I'm trying to chase the same unicorn.   I've used TiteGroup for years.  Accurate, meters great, OK standard deviations but it is nasty dirty.  I just switched over to e3.  Around 3.7gr under a 230gr SNS makes 168PF.  I'll post some more chrono data once I do some more testing.  I cleaned my 1911 before switching so I should be able to easily judge if there's a difference between TG and e3.