• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, 021411 said:

Thanks again to all.

I re-tested my factory barrel for grins and it blows. I cannot for the life of me get it to group tightly even when benched. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the factory barrel.

hmmmm, now you've got me thinking about a new barrel for Christmas.... lol

49 minutes ago, ddc said:

hmmmm, now you've got me thinking about a new barrel for Christmas.... lol

I know there are purists out there that would balk at the idea of an aftermarket barrel in a perfectly working gun. Oh well. I'm completely satisfied with the purchase and would do it all over again and twice on Sunday.

I have my Steel Challenge load down pat now. I settled on 105gr with 3.0gr of Titegroup. Soft enough yet strong enough to cycle the 10# spring. Accuracy is superb.

I'm still not sure if I want to use 147gr for the other stuff. Not sure how I feel about the recoil impulse. I ordered some 124 and 135 to mess with.

48 minutes ago, 021411 said:

I know there are purists out there that would balk at the idea of an aftermarket barrel in a perfectly working gun. Oh well. I'm completely satisfied with the purchase and would do it all over again and twice on Sunday.

I have my Steel Challenge load down pat now. I settled on 105gr with 3.0gr of Titegroup. Soft enough yet strong enough to cycle the 10# spring. Accuracy is superb.

I'm still not sure if I want to use 147gr for the other stuff. Not sure how I feel about the recoil impulse. I ordered some 124 and 135 to mess with.

Ive got no problem going with an aftermarket barrel but my X5 is very accurate as is, not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.  Would you mind me asking how much it cost to fit the new barrel?

6 minutes ago, dave33 said:

Ive got no problem going with an aftermarket barrel but my X5 is very accurate as is, not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.  Would you mind me asking how much it cost to fit the new barrel?

If your factory barrel is driving rounds on top of each other than I don't think it's worth the squeeze. I doubt you can gain that much more going with an aftermarket one. $125.. The barrel was completely oversized as it was the "Match Target" offering from Bar-Sto. 

1 hour ago, 021411 said:

If your factory barrel is driving rounds on top of each other than I don't think it's worth the squeeze. I doubt you can gain that much more going with an aftermarket one. $125.. The barrel was completely oversized as it was the "Match Target" offering from Bar-Sto. 

Thanks for the info.

Mine loves 135gr .357 Hitek bullets.  the .356 had super light rifling marks that i recovered, the .357 sized look great when recovered and are crazy accurate.  this is an option i think to many people overlook.  9mm barrels could run best with anything from .355 to .358 usually.

32 minutes ago, DsWright said:

Mine loves 135gr .357 Hitek bullets.  the .356 had super light rifling marks that i recovered, the .357 sized look great when recovered and are crazy accurate.  this is an option i think to many people overlook.  9mm barrels could run best with anything from .355 to .358 usually.

Who are you getting your .357s from?

Did you slug your barrel before going to the .357s?

On 10/18/2018 at 4:21 PM, 021411 said:

Thanks again to all.

I re-tested my factory barrel for grins and it blows. I cannot for the life of me get it to group tightly even when benched. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the factory barrel.

Sorry to hear that you got a bad barrel.

Both of my Xfives shoot about inch groups at 25 yards, off of bags, with 124 grain jhps. 147 jhps open the groups up to about 2"

My factory barrel is very accurate as well.  Within a soup can at 20 free standing, but the results of the op desnt surprise me.  Factory rifles/pistols often have a variance, what you pay for with customer is consistency.  

Ive seen the new Rugar precision vary as much as .75 with the same ammo, I had one Colt barrel that gave my custom Krieger a run for its money, another that would shoot groups the size of a basketball at 100. Sig is no exception.  

Edited by chenault

On 10/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, IndyColtsFan said:

Who are you getting your .357s from?

Did you slug your barrel before going to the .357s?

I did not.  I was going by the light rifling marks on the .356.  the .357 looked normal to me.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:37 PM, 021411 said:

Linked up with my buddy yesterday at the range with his X5. Yeah night and day difference comparing stock barrel to stock barrel. Within 15 yards will mine still hit A zones? Sure, but I demand more. 

Were both stock barrels roughly the same production age?  

Just wondering if Sig made a barrel modification along the way.  We know they changed the finish from the earlier, silver color barrels to the black finish that is coming out now.   Suppose they could have made a tweak to the bore as well.

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

My black finished bbl. Shoots .358 dia bullets into an 1"-11/2 at 20 rested. .356 are 2-21/2" at 20.

That is a significant difference.

Jacketed, coated, plated ?

19 hours ago, IndyColtsFan said:

Were both stock barrels roughly the same production age?  

Just wondering if Sig made a barrel modification along the way.  We know they changed the finish from the earlier, silver color barrels to the black finish that is coming out now.   Suppose they could have made a tweak to the bore as well.

I guess my friend’s X5 could be considered v1.0 in a sense that it has the silver barrel. I believe mine is July 2018 production.  

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY got to compare my Burke trigger job to a GG competition kit. I installed the kit on my buddy's stock P320. I have to give it to Burke. I like his better. I know there's a HUGE price difference and down time but it's worth it to me if you're looking for an entirely different feeling trigger compared to stock. In a nutshell the GG kit feels like a lighter stock trigger to me. Probably not a fair statement but that's how it feels to me after dry firing both back to back a few times. 

The GG kit still has a bit of travel before the striker releases. Reset is better on the GG though. The Burke trigger only has a smidge of travel before the striker releases. The Burke reset is weak compared to the GG.

Both triggers have similar pull weights.

To chime in on the accuracy issue...

My new X5 was not as accurate as I expected either. It was pretty disappointing actually. Side-by-side with my HK VP9 was no comparison, the HK kicked the X5's butt.

I am still working on finding the right load, and since the gun is brand new, I am sure it needs some time to break in. My second range trip was better, but nowhere what I would have expected from all the reading I have been doing.

My current load are the 124 gr. RMR JHP bullets over 4.1 TG at 1.06". I have been loading them shorter so they cycle in all of my guns. They are chrony'ing up to 138 PF or so, so I might either lengthen the COAL a bit or reduce the charge to get closer to 133 PF. I used to load at 1.125" for my SIG P226, but the HK and my P938 did not like them that long.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, chenault said:

Man that is short.  I'm at 1.55 col with 124 pd jhp

He must have a Walther or CZ in the stable.  😁  I had to reduce my COL from 1.13" to 1.08" to fit my wife's PPQ.  I understand that CZ have notoriously short chambers, too.

Edited by JAFO