Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production P320 X5 complete

Got my P320 X5 back from Burke. I got his competition trigger job and had a match target Bar-Sto barrel fitted. The trigger feels pretty good. Wish the reset was a bit more forceful but I understood before hand it would probably weaken a bit. It breaks about 3# 3oz with my Lyman digital gauge using near the bottom of the trigger. Take up is almost all gone and creep is greatly reduced. The trigger feels like it breaks further up in its travel than what it used to. Kinda reminds of Apex’s forward set sear. 

I need to compare it to a GG competition trigger one of these days... 

Because I know someone is going to ask, why did I have a Bar-Sto fitted? Well why not? jk I wasn’t completely satisfied with the stock barrel accuracy. 

5E938C0C-D620-48B8-A8FD-1A48EC7035D2.jpeg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, WhiteDingo said:

Springer magazine release? Doesn't look the same color as stock 

What sort of accuracy were you getting that you weren't satisfied?

Yeah it’s a Springer release. 

I know this is apples to oranges but the tighter group was with a G17 and KKM drop-in barrel. It’s my most accurate plastic gun. The larger group was with the X5 and factory barrel. Ammo was WWB 115gr. I know ammo accuracy varies gun to gun. 124gr AE wasn’t any better. 15 yards.. Can’t imagine what 25 yards would have looked like. 

62EFBF78-3C31-4EBF-BE4E-A55039207BF9.jpeg

CEAEAAA1-4A2E-430D-8DFD-75E81CD5E40A.jpeg

Mine with factory bbl, puts 5 rounds in a 2" dot at 20 and at 25 yds one was a tad low but I called that one low.

So 2" out of a factory pistol at 25 yds I will be VERY happy with all day long.

Enjoy your new rebuilt gun.  Half the fun is making them the way you want them!!!

Good fortune with it!  Hoping lots of 1st places for you!

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Mine with factory bbl, puts 5 rounds in a 2" dot at 20 and at 25 yds one was a tad low but I called that one low.

So 2" out of a factory pistol at 25 yds I will be VERY happy with all day long.

Enjoy your new rebuilt gun.  Half the fun is making them the way you want them!!!

Good fortune with it!  Hoping lots of 1st places for you!

Is the 5 rounds into 2" at 20 yards supported or standing freestyle?

4 hours ago, ddc said:

Is the 5 rounds into 2" at 20 yards supported or standing freestyle?

Supported to sight in and with very deliberate unsupported. Ie slow fire, breath control trigger squeeze etc etc

I noticed a huge difference with what bullets I was shooting.  I am currently using extreme 124 HP with 4.0gr titegroup at 1.135 oal.  At 25yd bench rest sight in I was within a 1.5” group and that was with the factory barrel.  Think I’m going to go with the GG trigger. 

I ran into some feeding issues today. I think I'm loaded a bit long even though my loads passed the plunk test. Right now I'm on the middle end of 1.16" COAL. I might reduce the COAL a bit and the crimp. Crimp is at 0.379-0.380. The rounds would hang up intermittently about 2/3rd of the the way in and this was once the barrel started to heat up. I'm using a 9# spring. Tried 10# and I was getting stove pipes on some of my lighter loads but 9# worked other than the FTF's.

Edited to add I'm currently testing flat point bullets from various brands.

Your thoughts?

Edited by 021411

What flat point bullets are you currently using? What type of bullets were you using prior to switching to the flat points?

You might have to shorten your OAL because of the flat point’s profile. I know the RMR truncated flat point that I use on mine have to be shortened considerably to feed reliably. 

I'm curious if the problem is related to one or both of the following:

1. Your COAL is longer than what most people I've talked to are using. 1.145 is about the longest I've seen.

2. Your recoil spring is lighter than what most people I've talked to are using.

12# is about the lightest I've seen commonly used although I've seen at least one person going down to 11#

Edited to add:

Just for comparison in my X5 I'm using:

1.RMR 147 FMJ FN

2. 1.12 OAL

3. crimp to .378/.379

4. Prima V 3.5

5. 13# recoil spring/Springer tungsten guide rod

Edited by ddc
additional information

Not to crap on Blues but they were horrible out of my gun across the board on various grains. Same die settings all. The consistent performers were the Bayou and SNS bullets. 

I’ll do some tweaking tonight on the press and will re-test tomorrow. LabRadar came in so I’ll be testing that too. 

Factory configuration probably minimum 1500. Ran like a champ with factory loads. In current configuration less than 100 right now. The gun cycles very smooth. I’m contributing the hiccups to probably a tighter chamber as well. 

3 hours ago, 021411 said:

Factory configuration probably minimum 1500. Ran like a champ with factory loads. In current configuration less than 100 right now. The gun cycles very smooth. I’m contributing the hiccups to probably a tighter chamber as well. 

oops... I totally blew by the part where you had the new barrel fitted. Whatever worked before will have to be re-verified and possibly modified.

100 rounds isn't a lot. Things might smooth out after another 100 or so.

You did the "plunk test". So at least they drop in and drop out with no effort I assume. Did you attempt to rotate them after they dropped in?

I'd vote for going a little shorter and seeing how that works out. 1.140 would still be on the long side based upon what I've seen for 9mm minor loads.

With respect to the Blues I've used them in other guns with no issues but I wasn't thrilled with them in my X5. 

Looks like George16 is also using a 10# spring. Haven't seen many that low. Maybe that weight is more common than I thought.

Did the gunsmith set up the gun with those recoil springs (9#/10#) or is that after you got it back?

Edited by ddc

ddc,

I remember rotating the rounds but they were probably not as smooth as they should have been. I figured the least amount of crimp while still spinning was ok. I put the lighter weight springs myself because I'm also working on a non-PF load for Steel Challenge. 

I shortened the COAL to 1.12" tonight and also increased the crimp to 0.378-9". They spin smoothly (loose) in the chamber and feed fine. I'll update tomorrow afternoon.  

10 hours ago, 021411 said:

ddc,

I remember rotating the rounds but they were probably not as smooth as they should have been. I figured the least amount of crimp while still spinning was ok. I put the lighter weight springs myself because I'm also working on a non-PF load for Steel Challenge. 

I shortened the COAL to 1.12" tonight and also increased the crimp to 0.378-9". They spin smoothly (loose) in the chamber and feed fine. I'll update tomorrow afternoon.  

You may have been just touching the rifling. But then you said that they were hanging up around 2/3 or the way in so that kinda argues against that I would think. hmmmmm....

Perhaps that chamber is just very tight. SAAMI spec for the case mouth is .380 and for the chamber at that point it is .381. You may have been right on the edge for your new chamber. Note that chambers are cut all over the place and SAAMI spec is just a guideline as opposed to an absolute requirement.

I would hope that 1.12 and .378/9 should do the trick.

Edited by ddc
clarification

She ran like a top! Adjusting the numbers made all the difference in the world. I had no issues even with a 10# spring today which was different than yesterday. MAYBE the shorter COAL gave it an extra "umph" to cycle the slide.

Out of 100 rounds I chrono'ed on the LabRadar, it failed to pick up a total of 3 rounds in 3 different strings. Not a big deal to me especially indoors. I did a make up shot and pressed on. I love it.

I did need to do one more range session to finalize the loads but so far my Production load is 135 PF and Steel load is 102 PF. I doubt going up a tenth of a grain will make a difference but I want to see if it'll differ.

First pic is my Steel load at 15y.    1.04" COAL, 2.9gr Titegroup, 105gr Bayou..

Second pic is the USPSA load at 15y.    1.12" COAL 3.0gr Titegroup, 147gr SNS..

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325(1).jpg

Excellent.

Yes, shortening the OAL from 1.16 down to 1.12 would have bumped up the pressure, a little more "umph" as you say. ?

That is actually a fairly significant reduction in OAL.

Somewhere in the reloading forums is a test somebody made charting velocity vs. OAL for a given charge weight.