Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
practical_man

Load data for Bayou 138 grain DEWC

Bianchi Revolver shooters

I bought 1000 Bayou DEWC looking for an alternative to 125grain XTP. 

Wondering if if anyone has worked up a decent Bianchi load with this bullet?  I don’t want to reinvent the wheel if it’s already been done. 

I have 231, WSF, Bullseye, and Longshot on hand. Not opposed to trying a different powder if it’s accurate to 50 yards. 

I am using a Smith & Wesson 686. 

Thanks

john

ETA. I tried search function. Nothing that looks like it will make power factor for Bianchi. My PPC load of 3 grains of 231 doesn’t even come close. 

Edited by practical_man

I have been using 4.2 gns of American Select. Fills the case well and burns clean and consistent. It’s been accurate for me out of my Dan Wesson 715.  Makes power factor. Probably at the edge of or slightly over 38+p pressures. 

I have also used VV320 with success. 

Edited by radny97

You need to be running 920 to 950 FPS. The 231 should get you there. Need to work up loads for your particular gun. I would start with 4.8 or 5.0 of 231

4.1 of 231 does it in my K frames..  3.7 of WST is good as is 3.5 of Clays and 3.8 of BE.

I use the BNWC in my revolvers because I have plenty.

I've shot hundreds of those bullets from Bayou. They can be very accurate at 50 yards with 231. To the best of my recollection, I loaded 4.8 grs. of 231, but like Warren said, you will need to work it up in your gun. I'd start at 4.4 and work up. You only need 870 fps to make PF but that may not be the most accurate load. I wouldn't go any higher than 5.0. That's a pretty hot with 231. 

Thanks to all for sharing your experience. I will start with some 231 that is on hand. And a light roll crimp.  I will report back with velocities and accuracy as I get data