Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell Case Lubing for Pistols

I was perusing several videos about reloading with a Dillon 550B.  I ran across one in which a guy was discussing how to make your own case lube (99% alcohol and lanolin).  In that video he said that he would also lubricate his pistol brass.  Using carbide dies, I have never used lube on them before.  The guy in the video said that it makes a world of difference in the smoothness of the reloading process.  I figured I would give it a shot.  In order to keep lube from getting inside the case, you need to get a large plastic jar.  I used the container that bulk laundry pods come in (I think it was All detergent).  I took an old t-shirt rag (about 10"X10") and sprayed it down with some lube.  I threw about 100 cases in the container, then soaked down a folded up paper towel with lube on top of the cases.  I twirled and tumbled the cases until I figured they were coated really well and dumped them out to dry.  WOW! What a difference it made.  The case "slides" into the die really slick and smooth now.  He was right, it made a world of difference.  Anything that will make reloading easier, I'm game.  And this is making it easier for me.  Just thought I would share with you guys for those that don't lube their pistol cases. :)

I lube pistol cases in a gallon sized zip lock freezer bag.  I put in a couple of squirts of lube prior to placing the brass in the bag and then zip it up and shake the bag for a minute.  Dump the brass out to dry and then it's good to load.  Doing this makes a noticeable difference in the operation of the press.  I dump the loaded rounds out on an old beach towel, spray it with rubbing alcohol, roll it around in the towel, repeat, and it is ready to fire.

I use homemade lanolin lube and a plastic shoe box. Dump 200 9mm cases in , spray with lube about two pumps, then shake the box to rattle everything around. Then dump in case feeder. 

This lube has never affected my loaded ammo in any way so don’t worry about getting it inside cases.

I knew a guy that used Dillon lube (same as alcohol/lanolin) and I always liked picking up his brass at the range cause it made my hands silky smooth.

I don't lube pistol brass but I do use my own alcohol/lanolin brew or One Shot for sizing when it calls for it.

3 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I lube pistol cases in a gallon sized zip lock freezer bag.  I put in a couple of squirts of lube prior to placing the brass in the bag and then zip it up and shake the bag for a minute.  Dump the brass out to dry and then it's good to load.  Doing this makes a noticeable difference in the operation of the press.  I dump the loaded rounds out on an old beach towel, spray it with rubbing alcohol, roll it around in the towel, repeat, and it is ready to fire.

You took the words right out of my mouth.  I do the exact same thing with the exception of the alcohol.  I actually drop the loaded rounds back in the tumbler for 10-15 minutes to remove the lube.

3 hours ago, Steelheader said:

The guy in the video said that it makes a world of difference in the smoothness of the reloading process.  WOW! What a difference it made.  The case "slides" into the die really slick and smooth now.  He was right, it made a world of difference.  

It's a world of difference with case lube.  The machine glides.

2 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

Hornady One Shot will change your life.

It was night and day when I tried One Shot, made everything so much smoother, I only use it for my pistol brass. I have been tempted to try brass juice for my pistol brass, heard great things about it. I use my homemade lanolin/alcohol mix for my rifle brass and it’s by far the best lube for bottle neck cases, I never have to worry about stuck cases.

2 hours ago, JasonandMichelle said:

How frequently do dies need to be cleaned if lube is used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sized and trimmed 6k .223 rounds using the lanolin/alcohol mix and didn’t have to clean the die at all, there is no build up of the lube if you don’t over apply it. It’s been an awesome sizing lube, I do however clean my dies at around the 10k mark just to make sure they remain clean.

I sized and trimmed 6k .223 rounds using the lanolin/alcohol mix and didn’t have to clean the die at all, there is no build up of the lube if you don’t over apply it. It’s been an awesome sizing lube, I do however clean my dies at around the 10k mark just to make sure they remain clean.

Good to know! I have a bottle of One Shot but haven’t used it because I didn’t want to have to clean the dies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an old baking pan just lay all the brass on its side and put a couple of pumps of lanolin/alcohol mix on and start loading. I don't clean my dies but maybe I should start just hadn't had any problems though but I usally clean my loaded rounds in the tumbler.

One shot certainly does make a difference for me. The issue I'm having with my SDB is one of the 9mm brass not releasing easily (sometime having to yank up on the lever) at case mouth /powder drop station 2. Cleaning the bell doesn't seem to make much difference at all. Anybody else seeing this or have a fix for it? Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Bench said:

One shot certainly does make a difference for me. The issue I'm having with my SDB is one of the 9mm brass not releasing easily (sometime having to yank up on the lever) at case mouth /powder drop station 2. Cleaning the bell doesn't seem to make much difference at all. Anybody else seeing this or have a fix for it? Thanks.

This is an issue that comes and goes with my 650.

Supposedly pulling out the powder funnel, chucking it up in a drill or lathe and polishing the heck out of it is supposed to help.

Right now it's cooperating. Next time I will try polishing.

Don't know why it isn't consistent. I wonder if brass with a thicker case wall might exacerbate the problem.

14 minutes ago, Bench said:

Supposedly pulling out the powder funnel, chucking it up in a drill or lathe and polishing the heck out of it is supposed to help.

Don't know why it isn't consistent. I wonder if brass with a thicker case wall might exacerbate the problem.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:03 PM, jhgtyre said:

+1 on this method, makes for smoother press operation and non-slippery mag loading.
I've been using this system since switching to a progressive(and have been able to use up some awful Lyman spray lube that would give me stuck and dented .223 cases at the same time).

3 hours ago, ddc said:

I've seen this randomly with my LNL, and it does seem to be brass related, although I can't isolate it to clean, dirty, or a particular headstamp.